Is Seasonic still making Corsair PSUs?

From Corsair's website on the HX620:

So unless I'm missing something... doesn't that translate into the HX620 having 3x 12V rails? I know they're not true independent rails, but it's still splitting one 52A 12V rail into three for separate components, compared to the HX650 leaving the 12V 52A rail untouched.

No, the unit is a single 12v rail unit.

From Corsair's website on the HX620:

So unless I'm missing something... doesn't that translate into the HX620 having 3x 12V rails? I know they're not true independent rails, but it's still splitting one 52A 12V rail into three for separate components, compared to the HX650 leaving the 12V 52A rail untouched.
The HX620 has no OCP. it is a true single-rail PSU.

It's been discussed ad nauseum but you are a noobie so we will forgive you :p

Even Corsair representatives Redbeard and Yellowbeard admit it. The reason it was shown as triple rail was because ATX spec called for it at the time. I believe that 240VA division requirement has been repealed though.

As for redoing the HX1000.

Redbeard said:
The HX1000 is still one of the best values for a 1000W PSU. Great ripple regulation, voltage regulation, good efficiency, and it's priced very competitively I think. We'll definitely have a replacement for it someday - but that's the way of these things.

Though the DSG platform may not be capable of 1000W at 50C. DSR certainly is though. They may also not make it single rail either. Seriously though, the limit on the HX1000 now is 480W per a 12V rail....you would have to try hard to overload them.

Last edited:
So is the HX650 Seasonic? I guess it doesn't really matter, either way it will go into my next system I build. Besides the blue looks better than red or yellow ;) Also, is the HX450 ever coming stateside? I was looking into that for a lower power build.

sorry if this is a noobie question but whats the difference between the dsg and the dsr platforms, not just say its specs but the actual workings of the psu, architecture wise?

sorry if this is a noobie question but whats the difference between the dsg and the dsr platforms, not just say its specs but the actual workings of the psu, architecture wise?
They both use double-forward conversion on the primary side and DC-DC converters to derive the +3.3V and +5V rails from the +12V output, but aside from that their layouts are completely different. I doubt the differences would mean anything to you unless you're an EE (in which case you probably wouldn't need to ask anyway).

Ooh, missed that. Looked like a sweet PSU, enough power for most systems and modular.

You're one of the few guys who thought that.

Our European sales guys kept saying "our customers want a high-quality, low-wattage modular unit!" and every time we turned around they said they could sell thousands upon thousands of them.

So we made it - and crickets chirped. We sold very, very few of them.

So it died.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It was a good PSU though, basically an HX520 with a little less power.

You're one of the few guys who thought that.

Our European sales guys kept saying "our customers want a high-quality, low-wattage modular unit!" and every time we turned around they said they could sell thousands upon thousands of them.

So we made it - and crickets chirped. We sold very, very few of them.

So it died.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It was a good PSU though, basically an HX520 with a little less power.

I would of loved to have an HX450 powering a mATX setup. It's a shame it did not go over well in europe. Most low power PSU's going into tiny cases and that's really were modular cables help.

The only other options I'd even consider in that segment is the CX400, Seasonic 430w or the Earth Watts.

The

At times I think it's getting a bit too spread out, but as long as they're selling then having so many different high quality PSU's hitting almost every use bracket is a good thing.

Yea but there are times when you're looking at 700 watts and think, well I want an 850, but not quite a 1000... or you don't care about modular or not and grab a 950 for less than a modular 750...

Who knows...

The only market they could touch on (although small) would be a modular PSU with shorter cables... for SFF builds... Silverstone tried that with a short cable kit which was great but the PSU's themselves were expensive as hell. But if you had a 400-450 watt modular PSU with 2 x 6 pin PCI-E... maybe 2-4 SATA plugs at most (seperate cables?) just keep everything relatively short...

Just idears... I'm happy with my HX850... inside the 800D :D

Something else to remember with regards to Corsair HX PSUs is they seem to be a bit conservative on the ratings. So what they call a 1000 watt PSU is what others might call a 1200 watt PSU. As such loading them down isn't likely to be so problematic.

PSU ratings are just like anything else in that there isn't an absolute. You don't put a gremlin in a PSU that produces a certain amount of power and then turns it off if it goes 1 watt more. Their capability depends on temperature, input voltage, and so on. So what they are rated depends on how the company likes to do it

Cheapie makers generally do it as an absolute max kind of thing. The rating they stamp on their PSUs is the limit at which components start failing. So you'll only get that power if temperatures are low, and even then only for a very short time.

Good makers usually more rate them like you'd do with a pipe: The power they can handle under real world conditions, for extended periods. Thus their ratings are the kind of thing you can run and feel confident things will keep working.

And tony is right about not giving a stigma to "value" products. We've bought their CX400 for computers at work that have had failed PSUs. It may be their low end, value product, but it is still head and shoulders above the PSUs that Dell, Gateway and so on ship in their PCs.

Also for that matter their VX450 is one of SPCR's favourite supplies as the thing is exceedingly quiet for media PCs.

Back