Is S-PVA good enough or should I only get an IPS panel?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
The new DoubleSight 24" monitor "Coming Soon" will feature a Samsung S-PVA panel in it.

http://www.doublesight.com/product/?idx=5

Now while that seems to be a pretty good iteration of the VA panel tech should I feel good about getting this sort of thing for gaming or will spending a little more and getting an IPS panel really blow me away since I have already committed to spending way more than your run of the mill monitor out of Best Buy.

Main use of the monitor: gaming and movie watching.

I don't want a TN so I have been trying to get myself a monitor for a few years now and the more I think about it the more complicated it gets. If only I knew nothing about any of this and could just go get whatever costs me $150 at a store.

I prefer IPS over PVA. And maybe even TN over PVA.
I paid a lot more to get NEC 2690 than I would have to pay for a PVA LCD like HP LP2465 and I don't regret my decision.

I prefer IPS over PVA. And maybe even TN over PVA.
I paid a lot more to get NEC 2690 than I would have to pay for a PVA LCD like HP LP2465 and I don't regret my decision.

TN over PVA? Why say such a thing?

PVA isn't that bad... The ghosting annoy me but the color shift is bearable.

TN is way worse...

If you can afford, go IPS..

Depends on preferences.

I have seen people who prefer:
PVA>IPS>TN
IPS>TN>PVA
IPS>PVA>TN

That should tell there is no universal answer. Myself I prefer IPS>TN>PVA, this is probably not the case for you.

The only way you will know for certain is to experience them. Asking other people what what type of panel is right for you is like asking them what flavor of ice cream is best for you.

The only way you will know for certain is to experience them.

Yeah man, that would be best but the problem is that the only thing I can experience is a TN at a store, no one stocks anything else so this purchase is going to be a blind one, which is a bit scary but I don't have much of an option.

Viewing angle is a big thing for me since I will be watching movies and stuff while not sitting directly in front of the monitor, and gaming so response time is something I need, but I don't need it to be so amazing that it costs me $4,000.

August will give me my answer, I hope.

If someone prefers a VA over an IPS, it is because of comparing monitors as a whole, not just the LCD panel.

IPS panels are more likely to have a grainy coating, and some find that annoying.

I'm not aware of any way a VA is better than an IPS, except it may have a bit more contrast. But, more Black-White contrast doesn't help if you lose contrast in dark shades of color.

Too bad that the cheapest guaranteed IPS is $600 (20" Apple), or ~$750 for the doublesight 26")

The new DoubleSight 24" monitor "Coming Soon" will feature a Samsung S-PVA panel in it.

Now while that seems to be a pretty good iteration of the VA panel tech should I feel good about getting this sort of thing for gaming or will spending a little more and getting an IPS panel really blow me away since I have already committed to spending way more than your run of the mill monitor out of Best Buy.

I don't want a TN so I have been trying to get myself a monitor for a few years now and the more I think about it the more complicated it gets. If only I knew nothing about any of this and could just go get whatever costs me $150 at a store.

LCD technologies explained. Recommendations given.

PVA vs IPS monitors tested, compared, illustrated.

TN over PVA? Why say such a thing?

Because TNs cost 1/2 of PVAs and I'm more willing to tolerate their flaws than these of PVA, i.e. horizontal gamma shift.
But I agree with all others, go and get an IPS panel LCD, the best would be NEC 2490.

The panel type is important but other features such as screen size, input, video processing, calibration options, mate/glossy, speakers, overall look and finish must also be considered.

IPS panels are generally very good but they tend to offer a somewhat low contrast ratio (vs PVA panels).
I really like my 275T which uses a PVA panel.

How any tolerates either a TN or a PVA is beyond me. The colorshift on either unit is just terrible. That only makes movie watching or photo editing a no go for me.

IPS currently is the closest experience to CRT available on LCDs. Until OLED or whatever takes to flat panel Nirvana its IPS or nothing for me. So my grid would be...

IPS > CRT > stare at a blank wall.:D

How any tolerates either a TN or a PVA is beyond me. The colorshift on either unit is just terrible. That only makes movie watching or photo editing a no go for me.

IPS currently is the closest experience to CRT available on LCDs. Until OLED or whatever takes to flat panel Nirvana its IPS or nothing for me. So my grid would be...

IPS > CRT > stare at a blank wall.:D

Your post appears to contradict itself...

I used a 274t for about 15 days, excellent image quality, but the input lag made me return it. If you do not care for these, I would recommend you pick it up.

Is P-MVA being lumped into PVA in this discussion?

It seems to be.

By the looks of things from this thread getting anything other than an IPS is worse than being forced to stare at a blank wall.

At least by some.

It seems to be.

By the looks of things from this thread getting anything other than an IPS is worse than being forced to stare at a blank wall.

At least by some.

It is easy to recommend something expensive, but I think TN panels are fine for the most people. One must compare the price and the benefits it brings. Even IPS panels are not without flaws, their black is not as deep as in some *VA panels.
So the choice stronly depends on the local prices. The best thing you can do is just to test a PVA monitor, if you can tolare its horizontal gamma shift, just use it. Maybe you won't even notice. If not, then exchange it for a TN LCD (and save money) or pay more for an IPS model.

I have a P-MVA panel LG 246 and it is three times better than my worn out CRT. When shifting my head to unreasonable angles the only color shift is a slight paleness that looks more like the light that would be reflected from a window with blinds and drapes pulled. Maybe I'm not picky with colors though.

See.. the thing about PVA shift vs. TN shift, is that the TN shift looks disgusting. The PVA shift looks... strange.

Unfortunately it's been the trend that any new monitor based on a 24" Samsung S-PVA panel is not suitable for high speed gaming, so be warned before considering the DS 24".

Ie. Samsung 245T has average of 39ms input lag according to prad.de review, 2408WFP averages 60ms according to TFTCentral and DigitalVersus, and even the 2407WFP-HC was in the high 30s average.

If you want to be blown away, get the 26" Doublesight. Low input lag, high speed and great panel. It will need calibration for photo work, but for movie watching and gaming you can't beat the DS-265W (replacing the DS-263N).

On the other hand, if you want a low lag MVA panel, the FP241W from BenQ is a good bet, and it seems like they are resurrecting this now almost legendary monitor. It still has the same VA gamma shift of any other VA (horizontally) but this isn't a big problem for movie watching or gaming. Also VA ghosts a bit with dark to dark transitions, more so than TN and IPS.

Other TN options may be ok, but if you want to lie down and watch movies, the viewing angle from below may be an issue.

I prefer TN for text, but VA for movie watching.

Yes, IPS is the best all around technology, but it's expensive, and it all depends what you really want to spend, and how long you believe you will keep it. If you plan to keep a monitor 'till it dies, go with the DS-265W, so that the extra cost is spread over a few years (essentially).

See.. the thing about PVA shift vs. TN shift, is that the TN shift looks disgusting. The PVA shift looks... strange.

Depends who is looking 90% of the time I don't even notice the TN vertical shift, though it is easier to spot if you are looking for it. I see it easier but it doesn't cause any strange effects.

I agree, strange is the word for the PVA shift. I get a holographic/3d/magic eye effect that I find distracting/annoying/tiring headache inducing.

TN doesn't annoy as much because TN doesn't shift horizontally very much. PVA does and thus it messes with stereo vision. Turning a TN into portrait mode drives me nuts as well, even worse actually.

TN shifts most but it is vertical, VA shifts more in the horizontal and thus causes me much more grief.

I will only buy TN or IPS panels. VA is out because of horizontal shift. But this depends on the person. But people afflicted by the holo effect are quite rare. Most people prefer VA to TN. In one way I am lucky because I like the cheaper panels (TN) better than midprice ones, but I am unlucky because I really only find the most expensive ones (IPS) good for full use including picture editing.

Anyway this gives some idea why you need to experience for yourself. Even look in store won't reveal all the anomalies that can drive you nuts at home. I can't recommend for you, because I am seemingly an anomaly when it comes to this.

Unfortunately it's been the trend that any new monitor based on a 24" Samsung S-PVA panel is not suitable for high speed gaming, so be warned before considering the DS 24".

Buying a monitor is turning into one of the hardest purchasing decisions of my life!

How does anyone handle all this pressure and commitment?

Buying a monitor is turning into one of the hardest purchasing decisions of my life!

IMO it it definitely the hardest computer component to choose. It is the most subjective as well.

Jump in, it is the only way to know for sure what works. But absolutely buy where they have a good return policy.

Jump in, it is the only way to know for sure what works. But absolutely buy where they have a good return policy.

I totally agree. Two things helped me make my decision. This forum and when I went to BB to look at monitors this one (LG 246 P-MVA) blew the others out of the water IMO.

I really liked this monitor, but my only gripe at that time, was that I kept getting one with dead subpixels and after trying two I had to give up last year, I gave up, but I really like it. Low input lag, good height adjustable and rotating stand, and good aspect ratio control with minimal overscan with Xbox 360 over component (around 2%).

It's too bad AUO discontinued this panel and LG stopped producing it. The only monitor using the same panel now is the BenQ FP241VW, it's just a newer version (V2 vs V0)

I totally agree. Two things helped me make my decision. This forum and when I went to BB to look at monitors this one (LG 246 P-MVA) blew the others out of the water IMO.

It took me nearly three months to choose my new monitor (replacing old CRT), I tested four models. So you have my sympathies.

(I really should learn English past times...)

Same here, I spent around 5 months considering what to get.
Tried a S-IPS LCD and it was pretty good but blacks were grey and satellite/TV was a bit blocky.
I'm now on a 1080p Plasma and wont look back, great view from here :)

Good Plasmas are very well priced now and dont suffer burn in like the old models.
The care I need to take is use a low power ECO mode while browsing the web.
Because it can display over 5000 shades per colour and has a massive contrast ratio, using less brightness is still crystal clear and easier on the eyes for reading.
The smallest Plasma size is 42" btw.

If you are interested read up on the PZ80 / PZ800 series Panasonic Plasmas.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ompare/productsCategory.html?javascript=false
I have the 42PZ80B
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/710041/index.html?trackInfo=true

S-PVA vs IPS is something to consider, specifically I would like to purchase a 30"er myself

I am trying to find a decent deal and unfortunately, the NEC 30 is out of reach...that said, I was thinking in between the Gateway 30" and the Dell 3007-HC?

Has anyone worked with these two panels and comment if qual control issues on gateway 30" have been solved? some say th scaler is great on the gateway, others, not so much?

Insights are appreciated:)

S-PVA vs IPS is something to consider, specifically I would like to purchase a 30"er myself

I am trying to find a decent deal and unfortunately, the NEC 30 is out of reach...that said, I was thinking in between the Gateway 30" and the Dell 3007-HC?

Has anyone worked with these two panels and comment if qual control issues on gateway 30" have been solved? some say th scaler is great on the gateway, others, not so much?

What about HP LP3065? It is S-IPS.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3297215.html

Most defects have been addressed by Gateway, but the input lag looks to be a problem still, so if your vid card can't drive it at native resolution, it may be an issue if you are using the monitor's scaler (which adds further lag) making it a moot point.

The scaler is pretty much the whole attraction on that thing vs. an HP LP3065, LG W3000H-PF or Dell 3007WFP-HC

I have a ViewSonic VX2025WM which is a P-MVA panel and I'm not noticing any of this color shifting mentioned. Is there a test I ran run that shows this better? I watch movies all the time and they look great. Games have no noticeable lag. I do everything on this monitor. If I get a 24" I want it to be exactly the same technology as this.

Good colour rendering, good viewing angles, decent grey to grey speeds given the first 2...

I find that PMVA panels are a very nice compromise and offer solutions to the issues of SIPS and SPVA panels, the LG246WPBN and BENQ241VW both wildly popular are examples of PMVA, sadly I know of no PMVA's on the market at this time since AUO stopped making them. Almost everyone is using TN panels, the very panels most people would like to get away from and SIPS are often either not available in the states or prohibitively expensive.

then why some people favour IPS?

IPS vs. PVA is a pointless religious argument. Both technologies have their advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your main applications and your preferences, you may pick one versus the other, but neither one is superior to the other on all fronts. The quality of the whole monitor as a complete product is also very important, by the way.

Back