Is PC gaming dieing ?

LordBritish

2[H]4U
I went to the local EB and noticed that the PC games section was missing.

It was all XBox, PS2, Nitendo, etc.

I asked a sales rep what happened to the PC games. It used to have 2 wholes shelves for it.

He pointed at this sad little shelf mixed in with pre-owned PC games from the last millenium. It was pretty pathetic.

One would assume from this that PC games are dieing a slow death.

John Carmack even admitted that the next great ID game will first be made for the XBox 360 and perhaps other consoles before the PC version.

Soon all we'll get are ports. And we know how great console ports are - Halo for example. Halo was actually a fairly good port as far as ports goes.

Are you sure you went EB? The EB here has a whole wall for PC games. PC games will never die because PC gamers will always exist.

Yup it was an EB. May be the EB I went to is not representative of most of them - I dunno.

I love these threads, "i went to the store and they didnt have a game for pc so there is no more gaming for pc"

Thanks for the laugh.

Yes. PC gaming is dying. Hurry up and make your purchases before the internet closes next week.

It's the same at my nearest EB store.

They used to have an entire wall for pc games with consoles having their own.

However now the pc games are all put on some tiny ass shelf where the consoles/games have their own walls.

John Carmack stated in this months PC gamer that he will be releasing IDs next game for the XBox 360 first.

That's very interesting since ID software has usually released to the PC first.

He said that the "XBox 360 is a sweet platform" or something close to that.

Man!

Games are made on PCs,

all consoles are modified PCs.

Is an xbox with a keyboard/mouse and linux, not a PC ?

It does most things a PC w/ linux can.

It's not "PC GAMING", its "Windows, direct-X based gaming", yes there will be less DirectX games, because microsoft (who made directX) made the xbox360, and prefers games on it first.

So "windows platform directx based gaming" will decline.

GOD you're all idiots.

edit: very few of you are not

PS: It's dying, you illiterate bastard

What I personally think is helping console gaming is that Computer games require the latest and best hardware, while console gaming only requires the console. Thus it makes it easier for the simple minded gamer to purchase a console and play 5 games on one machine. While it would prolly take them hours upon hours of tech support calls, and confusion at the local computer store to figure out what to purchase to get those 5 games to run on his machine. Gaming on all levels will continue I think.

Man EB games and all that suck. They are only good to trade in your old stuff and that's it. Go to any Best Buy and you'll see two rows facing each other full of PC games, and then another row on the other side. (At least that's how it is for every best buy I've walked into. So no PC gaming is'nt dying, EB games and GameStop just suck.

Beats dead horse...

I think there is a thread like this every two months or so..

While, PC gaming does not have the same amount of following it once had as a "gaming platform" it is far from dead. Strategy and FPS shooters still dominate the PC market, and I think the reason PC has sort of faded, is that there are a lot more gamers then their use to be, but that is do to the fact that consoles have brought it to the forefront of the money making industry. Instead of a multi-million dollar business, it is now a multi-billion dollar industry, with tons of customers. People will always play stuff on the cheaper platform, thus console gaming is more popular. However PC will always stay around as long as there are PCs people will make games for them, since there is money to be made after all.

kohan69 said:
Man!

Games are made on PCs,

It's not "PC GAMING", its "Windows, direct-X based gaming", yes there will be less DirectX games, because microsoft (who made directX) made the xbox360, and prefers games on it first.

GOD you're all idiots.

:p I'm glad you said all this - thanks for taking the flame away from me. ;)

-J.

GeForceX said:
:p I'm glad you said all this - thanks for taking the flame away from me. ;)

-J.

My pleasure :D

UltimaParadox also note: MMORPGs; there will never be World of Warcraft on a console simply due to the lack of buttons

kohan69 said:
My pleasure :D

UltimaParadox aso note MMORPGs, there will never be World of Warcraft on a console simply due to the lack of buttons

Another very solid point, especially with the fanbase games like WoW have, but I dont see it being too far off when the other types of MMOGs go console though. A game like WoW will eventually be attempted again on console like the Everquest Adventures on PC, the real question is which game will be the first breakthrough hit on the console. This will usher in the new age of being able to charge monthly becomes more mainstream. Not sure if this is good and bad, but I believe that the majority of games are heaidng in this direction.

EDIT* On a side note I find it ironic that the OPs name is LordBritish the ever so famous from Ultima Online, probablly one of the greatest influences to all MMORPGs we see now. You would think from a fellow MMORPG player that the niche that PC gaming fills is a hard one for consoles to fill

I was over at the local EB games and realized that they added an extra shelf for PC games. Does that mean PC gaming is getting popular? :eek:

+1 to the asked every week "is pc gaming dying" question.

Infinite wisdom answer: If pc gaming dies....console gamers are gonna be in a world of hurt.
PC hardware innovations also drive console innovation.

Hence pc gaming/hardware dies = console gaming gets alot more expensive since the "hardcore" gamers are gone and nobodies paying 500 bucks for a video card anymore.

Console gamers should pray to the gaming gods that pc gaming never dies.

;)

Anything that was once possible on the PC is possible on the console - it just needs to have good keyboard/mouse USB support (with drivers). Dueling and MMORPG's would now be much more of a reality then. But is it comfortable to bend down to type and share it with a controller? I guess there will be a new market for console gaming tables/desks. ;)

-J.

Originally Posted by kohan69
Man!

Games are made on PCs,

GOD you're all idiots.

kohan69, why are you so angry?

As long as there is profitability in Mac/PC gaming, there will always be Mac/PC games. It’s one of the rules of business: as long as a unit is profitable, it will continue to exist. The proliferation of console gaming has to due with people in my generation continuing to play consoles and by doing so, introducing other generations to console gaming. Seriously, what 8-12yr old kids have $400+ to blow on a console? For the foreseeable future, I don’t see one or the other fading away. Console games are designed differently than games intended for Mac/PC. It’s more common nowadays for a household to have at least one PC and at least one console. Well, in my case it used to be three PC’s and three consoles. Now it’s a 1/1 ratio.

chojin_1999 said:
kohan69, why are you so angry?
Because I'm misanthropic, arrogant and despise stupidity

GeForceX said:
Anything that was once possible on the PC is possible on the console - it just needs to have good keyboard/mouse USB support (with drivers). Dueling and MMORPG's would now be much more of a reality then. But is it comfortable to bend down to type and share it with a controller? I guess there will be a new market for console gaming tables/desks. ;)

-J.

roflcopter7.gif

I can see that happening in a few years.

"Hey man! Check out my new console! I can use it to browse online, chat, play games, update online. I can even choose what operating system I want!! And I'll never have to buy anything else! Because I can just upgrade my existing parts! Isn't that awesome!!"

well is not dead but some of the fist shooter type games are sure slow to come out. it seem like most of the better known and most popular PC games came out in late 2002 or 2003 last couple of years its been slow. example = COD . or BF , It seems like lots of duds games do come out. IM not thrill with the new COD 2 . matter of fact i find my self playing the old COD or United Offensive more and this are allready 3 to 2 years old.

It may simply be a relfexion of the lack of physical PC sales and an increase in online sales for the PC platform. Thus, that's why you're not seeing many games on the shelves...

EB GAMES - PC

kohan69 said:
Man!

Games are made on PCs,

GOD you're all idiots.

I like this guy
:D

On Earth still? said:
IM not thrill with the new COD 2 . matter of fact i find my self playing the old COD or United Offensive more and this are allready 3 to 2 years old.

Original CoD is still the best. Nothing else fills my heart with joy more than Brecourt and a KAR98.

Short Answer : No.

Long Answer: No, however... It seems the PC is becoming more exclusive towards PC oriented titles... Such as games that depend on having heavy multiplayer support. But the days of the PC being the King of all forms of video games is over.

I think PC gaming has declined overall, and we've discussed this time and again, because of the length of the development cycle required to give us the games we all want. We all want more, better, open ended, immersive game experiences, and those take time to develop. More time, more money, which equals fewer releases per year.

Put simply, the quantity has gone down, but the quality has (for the most part) gone up. Looking at RPG's, MMO's and RTS's, mainly the domain of the PC, all of those types of games have gotten bigger, prettier, and more full of things to entice gamers. I don't include FPS's in this title mainly because they are almost all similar to a fault (with exceptions), but they still adhere to the above rules.

I was in a gamestop looking for PC games the other day, and I noticed as well that the PC games section was one floor rack with two sides, and they didn't have the games I wanted. (Empire at War, and C&C: First Decade)

There will undoubtedly always be PC games because there are things that just can't be done well on consoles until they actually end up as closed system PC's, even more than they are now. Maybe the PS3 with it's rumored HD, KBM support, and possible an MMO taking advantage of the previous two items will close the gap even further for this new generation.

And asking questions doesn't make someone an idiot. Posting a rude reply to an honest question, or responding to that post and encouraging that behavior, does.

PC Gaming will never die. Teh only thing that makes consoles better then Pc's for Gaming is teh hardware requirements but if you have a top-mid range PC then Gaming is insane.

Another thing there are lots of Mod coming out for different games for PC (Cant mod games for Consoles). Like for instance www.interlopers.net always have teh latest info of mods coming out for teh Source engine, some look insane. People are always making maps for CSS on there also, some may look stupid but people with a vision can make truly awesome maps.

Then you have to think of teh professional gaming side you can have like upto 1000 PC gamers in teh US for just one lan, there are basicly always Lan Events coming out almost every month like there is a lan coming in a week or two in my local town which I am going to.

With that said (might sound not that great) PC will never die but if games like Stalker and Duke Nuken Forever never come out then sure it makes PC Gaming alittle sad but it will never die.

Kahnvex said:
Put simply, the quantity has gone down, but the quality has (for the most part) gone up.

I disagree wholeheartedly. While the graphics has gone UP, the innovation has gone DOWN. To me. the innovation makes a new gameplay, a hence a better game.

Last 5 years sucked compare to the 5 years before it (1995-2001)
We had.... 3D!!!!
and Duke Nukem , quake1,2,3, command and conquere, half life, thief, tomb raider, inependence war 1,2.... uhm.. Warcraft, tribes, DIABLO, rune, age of empires, black&white, the sims, DESCENT, COMMANDOS, grand thef t auto , mechWarrior ........and on.

To me, there are fewer and fewer good games. Most of what I see is just remakes with better graphics. IM[H]O

kohan69 said:
I disagree wholeheartedly. While the graphics has gone UP, the innovation has gone DOWN. To me. the innovation makes a new gameplay, a hence a better game.
Exactly what I was going to say. The quality of a game has nothing to do with the quality of its graphics. Visual quality has undoubtedly gone up, but that doesn't mean they're better. It just means they're shinier.

The gaming industry has been pretty stagnant for a while (and not just on the PC end of things...). Sure, you still see a few good ideas around, but 98% of the games out there are just some other game in a different package. The advertising and hype surrounding every new release consistently convince people that every generic shooter or RTS is going to be something fresh and innovative, but this isn't going to work forever. The way things are going, the industry is bound to collapse before too long. It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

The fact of the matter is that sales depend more on graphics and marketing than they do on gameplay and innovation. So publishers almost invariably choose the former when deciding where to put their money. They're the ones destroying gaming, and they don't give a fuck if they run the entire industry into the ground so long as they can make a quick buck in the process.

Yes, PC games are missing on the shelves over at my local EB games as well- because that store doesn't make a lot of PC sales.

The one across town has an ass load of them because there are not any CompUSA/Best Buy/Target/ Wal-Mart stores close by and people go buy their PC games at that EB games instead of going to one of the afore mentioned stores across town.

And don't ask is computer gaming dying off - Supreme Commander will be out in a year, nuff said!!

Yes and a few developers have said this.

Doesn't help when people freakin pirate games like mad and think it's funny or cool, do protests on software because it has copy protection when they try to do something (Then turn around and just pirate the game)

Maybe Microsoft can spark life back into PC gaming like they said with the announcement of Vista. time can only tell, but you can see it now just be going to the shops.

Doesn't help when people freakin pirate games like mad and think it's funny or cool, do protests on software because it has copy protection when they try to do something (Then turn around and just pirate the game)

QFT- I know this guy that I used to be close friends with (he still calls me at work to bullsh!t on the phone way too often) and this guy pirates EVERYTHING. PS2, Xbox, PC, Movies... the guy already has BLACK for the Xbox sitting on his HDD.

Then he asks me if I want the game, ignoring the fact I don't even have an Xbox anymore. When I mention the fact that I don't have one, he replies with "Yeah, but everyone could use a copy of a free game..."

I just want to reach through the phone and strangle him for being an idiot. If he didn't recently have a baby girl I would have turned him into just about every major publishing company known to man (he has infringed just about every copyright I know of) just to get one more game killer out of the way.

I hate to say that, but he really pissed me off when I was talking about Supreme Commander and he told me "Don't worry, I will get you that game free..".

I lost control. I started yelling at him, telling him that people like him are the reason that CaveDog went under to begin with (not really, but I was pissed at the time) and that so many people put in hard work and deserve to be payed for it.

Then he told me the same old spill - "It isn't good enough to be worth buying, so I pirate it".

If it isn't worth playing, then why are you pirating it?!

Am I the only person that gets pissed about this sort of thing? I kind of take it personally when a game I really like gets pirated heavily. I buy the games I like. Hell, I have bought every command and conquer RTS game at LEAST Twice. Some I have bought up to 4 times because I lost/needed another copy to play online at home with multiple people.

I just don't get it. Maybe I am too old fashioned about paying for what you use...

I think if anything, PC gaming is thriving, and the line between PC gaming and Console gaming is blurring. World of Warcraft has 5 million+ users, does that sound like dead to you? Thats just one game. Oh and I love the comment about John Carmack making the Xbox 360 game before PC, my opinion is WHO CAREE, Carmack lost his touch years ago, I could care less if ID ever made a game for PC again.

Back