Is PC gaming dieing ?

Khaydarin said:
It makes me laugh to read the comments of those who say, "Yes, PC gaming is dying. In just a bit all the [good] PC games will be ports of the console games." *Cough* STAPLES *Cough* What quality games have been ported to the PC, anyways? How many PC games have been developed for the consoles? You make it sound like console games have many times more players and users than the "lowly" PC gamers who play only the crappy PC titles. As stated above, what console games have lasted longer than a console generation and still been played? What console game has outdone the "favorite" PC game of its time and genre?
Racing games for instance have been ports. The recently released versions of TOCA 3 and NFSMW were just ports from the consoles. John Carmack said he is going the way of the console so you can expect that Q5 or whatever will be just a port of the console version. Just about all sports games are ports of the console. Sure they can run at higher resolutions but they they do not look much better other then that.

PC will always get the best games that require a mouse. FPS and RTS both need a mouse for optimal playability. It is no surprises that the better games for this genre come out on PCs. On the other hand, all the other genres rule on consoles. And guess why that is? Because a control pad is the standard controller for consoles.

All you need to do is this. Compare the profit margins for the top 10 console games and the top 10 console games last year. Consoles are a lot more profitable and since companies are whores for money, that is the reason they are going in the direction they are.

Staples said:
PC will always get the best games that require a mouse. FPS and RTS both need a mouse for optimal playability. It is no surprises that the better games for this genre come out on PCs. On the other hand, all the other genres rule on consoles. And guess why that is? Because a control pad is the standard controller for consoles.

Like what? Racing is one, you made sense mentioning that. Though one genre is hardly a basis to point the decline of PC gaming as a whole. Role playing games? Heck no; they are dominated in PC's by World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo, and the MMORPGs. You've already mentioned FPS, and RTS, and together those three describe the highest sales of games - and the ones people upgrade for. "Adventure" games somewhat a minority, and so are fighting games (like the DOA series). When I say minority, I mean their fans arent flocking by the hundreds to get their hands on a copy at the release date.

PC's themselves will never die.

And most new intergrated graphics card are now 3D compatible, meaning that in order for pc gaming to DIE the entire WORLD has to boycott any development for it whatsoever.

Short answer: No

Long answer: Competition wise (CAL, TWL, etc) games are winding down because #1 alot of developers are choosing to release games without anticheat out of the box. #2 Dedicated server files are not being released with the games making it very difficult to host, #3 Repetitive gameplay and game infrastructures leading to boredom and quick burnout.

LoStMaTt said:
Short answer: No

Long answer: Competition wise (CAL, TWL, etc) games are winding down because #1 alot of developers are choosing to release games without anticheat out of the box. #2 Dedicated server files are not being released with the games making it very difficult to host, #3 Repetitive gameplay and game infrastructures leading to boredom and quick burnout.

Competitive games are going down the shitter. Games are getting easier and easier... I got BF2 when it came out for a LAN party, and I havent played it since, its just too boring, theres virtually no learning curve at all, and not a lot of skill. The only people I've seen that are actually skillful in the game are those piloting the planes.

PC's have always been the leading System that games have been based for. The neat thing about PC's are, is that they can play all of the old Classics from 5 years ago and at the same time the next generation games that push the technical envelope. Consoles, by nature, dont allow that (beyond a single generation). As soon as the next console comes out, all the old games are ditched, and the focus in put on the new ones. The variety in terms of Timeline puts PC's ahead of any console in my book. I dont have to have 4 computers just to play 4 amazingly addictive RTS's because they came out at different times.

PC's can play the largest arrangement of genres. A console simply cannot play a Real Time Strategy game effectivily (or at all). There are many new RTS's coming out this year, and none of them will be able to be used on consoles. As stated above, I can play the old RTS's just as much as the new. For First Person Shooters, PC's have often come out with the best of these first. Forget Halo and Halo 2; Doom 3 came out for the PC first, as did Far Cry, and other quality FPS's have been on the PC as well such as Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, and FEAR to name a few. [It is indisputable that using a mouse and keyboard makes playing a FPS much easier than on a console.

1 answer to all your queries (old games being downloadable, and RTS/FPS with usable controls): Nintendo's Revolution ;)

As far as PC gaming dying... it's not going anywhere. The illusion is such that there are less games coming out and to choose from, and therefore it's dying. The people who traditionally are console fan-boys who are pointing out this lull in games will be feeling it this coming gen, starting with the X360 that's already experiencing its first of many "gaming lulls". And, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, it's the constant demand for pushing visual boundaries that is the prime cause. Ridiculously high dev costs for these uber graphics means that only companies like EA and such will be making their cookie-cutter titles, and that's why almost everything's a sequel too. It's not PC gaming that's dying, it's just gaming in general :D

Gaming is dying!!!! Sell me all your l33t gaming computers for ridiculously low prices so you can recoup some of the money you will all lose in your systems!

Staples said:
The good news is, that PCs will always get lots of console ports.

Well, good news for PC gamers at least. I would probably buy them for the console.

Last I checked what console ports did PC users get that was enough for anyone to get exited about? I think the only game I was exited about that was a console port was GTA. Beyond that most of the biggest console games are coming from the PC. The best selling Xbox 360 game is COD2. A freaking PC port!

What people are probably noticing is gaming in gerneral is declining. Did anyone get a really kick ass game in X-Mas 2005? Most of the biggest games of 2005 came out on PC. Games like F.E.A.R, Quake 4, and COD2. Which all sucked BTW.

Gotta remember that console systems will always have a huge junk library. Something you find on the PC. The junk library will always be there for the moms and dads who want to get something just to shut up their children. Only top quality games sell on the PC given the difficult nature of the PC just to play a game.

If PC gaming is declining then so is console gaming. You just don't notice it on console systems because PC's don't have hundreds of worthless sports titles that always seem to flood the used game section in your local EB. Not to forget that PC games have lots more replay value thanks to online gaming. Something you won't find very often on console systems.

Seems that people want PC gaming to die. Why would you want the very backbone of console gaming to die?

kohan69 said:
Because I'm misanthropic, arrogant and despise stupidity

roflcopter7.gif

I can see that happening in a few years.

"Hey man! Check out my new console! I can use it to browse online, chat, play games, update online. I can even choose what operating system I want!! And I'll never have to buy anything else! Because I can just upgrade my existing parts! Isn't that awesome!!"
rofl!

Just had to quote that. It was too great. You reminded me of myself there :).

Last I checked what console ports did PC users get that was enough for anyone to get exited about? I think the only game I was exited about that was a console port was GTA. Beyond that most of the biggest console games are coming from the PC. The best selling Xbox 360 game is COD2. A freaking PC port!

What people are probably noticing is gaming in gerneral is declining. Did anyone get a really kick ass game in X-Mas 2005? Most of the biggest games of 2005 came out on PC. Games like F.E.A.R, Quake 4, and COD2. Which all sucked BTW.

Gotta remember that console systems will always have a huge junk library. Something you find on the PC. The junk library will always be there for the moms and dads who want to get something just to shut up their children. Only top quality games sell on the PC given the difficult nature of the PC just to play a game.

If PC gaming is declining then so is console gaming. You just don't notice it on console systems because PC's don't have hundreds of worthless sports titles that always seem to flood the used game section in your local EB. Not to forget that PC games have lots more replay value thanks to online gaming. Something you won't find very often on console systems.

Seems that people want PC gaming to die. Why would you want the very backbone of console gaming to die?

This guy needs to wake up... its 2008 and nothing in your post is relevant to anything.

PC has just as much junk and consoles do. Platform will not determine the maturity level of the game.

"PC games have lots more replay value thanks to online gaming" .... like I said, its 2008, more than half of my PS3 titles can be played online, all of them have online statistics, and WarHawk is online ONLY.

Basically, you’re full of shit.

2 years later.....still not dead :)

but its dieing. where is the exclusive fps games nowadays eh? why is pc getting console ports that has low res textures and console interface? cough cough bioshock. 2 years ago pc was in a better state then it is now mate

no. not dying. just paring down to a few separate experiences that are better made for pc's.

See ==> MMO's.

Love my AoC

This guy needs to wake up... its 2008 and nothing in your post is relevant to anything.

Do note that his post was made in 2006.

Only on the 'net can you argue with someone from two years earlier than you. :D

no. not dying. just paring down to a few separate experiences that are better made for pc's.

See ==> MMO's.

Love my AoC

back in 2006 people said the same thing about fps now look where there based at now :(

RTS is the next genre that will be console ported to the pc because that Tom Clancy end war game looks brilliant and the system they use to control there squad using voice could prove a major hit

LOL I just realized that :p, frankly his post was correct in 2006 but not so much nowadays :p

Holy thread revival batman.

I've come to think as PC games "evolving" rather than dying, we're at the forefront of technology, it's all going online and scope is increasing, we have Steam and other content delivery platforms, and games are moving towards MMO's and things like second life, and no doubt in the future a hybrid no doubt. We also have things like Battlfield heroes which are free games powered by adverts and micro transactions.

haha, I was about to say...

He still full of shit, because X360/PS3 still was around in 06.... but still, my bad for not noticing how old the post was. :rolleyes:

+1 QFT

I really don't get this whole "PC is the more mature platform" ideology going on.

You know something funky is going on with this thread when PWMK2 is quoting me for truth....

Me and him argue all the time in the console forums haha.

no, but i sure wish people's preoccupation with this lame subject would die.

I don't think the forum thread history goes back that far, but it'd be cool to see the threads in the PC gaming forum made back in 1999 and on. such exciting times for PC gaming back then..

Back