Is now a good time to buy?

Landmine

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at going back to a single card (GTX 770) from two cards (6970's). Is now a good time to buy? I'm going with a new card because the screen tearing issues that I have struggled with with CrossFire for years.

I'm asking is now a good time to buy? Where on the video card release wave are we?

Screen tearing happens when your fps is beyond your refresh rate. So it doesn't matter what graphics card you have. You will get tearing if your fps goes beyond your refresh rate.

Depending on your budget, you can sell your current cards and put that toward a 780... Otherwise you can wait a year for the 800 series or the end of the year for for MAYBE an AMD release.

I get it while running v-sync

This might sound stupid, but are you sure that Vsync is really enabled? I had this problem with an HD-7750 I used to have. Even when I enabled it in the CCC and/or game, it wouldn't change. RadeonPro fixed this. Give that a shot.

I have it enabled in game. Is there a way to enable it from the AMD software? I'll check that out.

Thank you.

I have it enabled in game. Is there a way to enable it from the AMD software? I'll check that out.

Thank you.

Yes.
Go into the CCC.
Go under 3D applications
In that panel you can choose to force various options rather than use the option in the game.

If you're asking is now a good time to buy an nVidia card I would say there is no better time as the new series has just been released. If you mean in general, then you may want to wait and see what AMD has in store for the 8000's.

Depending on your budget, you can sell your current cards and put that toward a 780... Otherwise you can wait a year for the 800 series or the end of the year for for MAYBE an AMD release.

how does this advice help the authors question? lol

I've been watching people try to time the GPU release market for a LONG time and it never works out in a way that the market timers would be happy with. My best advice would be to decide it is time to buy when you are no longer satisfied with your current rig, and get the best step up for the budget you allocate to it at that particular time. Trying to guess what's on the horizon will get you into trainwrecks like this one.

I've been watching people try to time the GPU release market for a LONG time and it never works out in a way that the market timers would be happy with. My best advice would be to decide it is time to buy when you are no longer satisfied with your current rig, and get the best step up for the budget you allocate to it at that particular time. Trying to guess what's on the horizon will get you into trainwrecks like this one.

Unless a big release is <month away.

In this case, that big release just happened, so it's the perfect time to buy.

HD 6970 Xfire -> GTX 770 is a sidegrade.. but then, every dual-GPU-to-single-GPU upgrade is a sidegrade, unless you wait two generations.

If you want my advice.. get a GTX 670 (or two). You can find them for as low as 225$ now.

Worth it depends on what you value. If you value using a card for a while then now is a good time to buy a 780, it will be a beast of a card for years to come. The 770 maybe not so much so since 4GB versions are hard to come by for good prices. But in a week to 2 things should be better. Also you might argue you want more aftermarket 780 choices for coolers.

If your value is based on costs well then now is not the time because these cards all just released and have very little good deals associated with them. No game bundles, no good prices. And even the older 670s and 680s have not dropped to where they should be price wise IMO.

The only way to make it work is if you find an unintentional deal, like I got in a super points deal that is going to new me almost $200 back, there is also deals at newegg business that are like $100 off $500 purchases every so often that can be really good.

@trackr where are you finding $225 670s?

if I were you, I would wait another generation. especially from 6970s.

HD 6970 Xfire -> GTX 770 is a sidegrade.. but then, every dual-GPU-to-single-GPU upgrade is a sidegrade, unless you wait two generations.

If you want my advice.. get a GTX 670 (or two). You can find them for as low as 225$ now.

really? link where you're finding them for 225$ please!

If I can get these to work I'd gladly wait another generation as the FPS is not an issue. It's screen tearing on a 27 inch!

how does this advice help the authors question? lol

Question 1:
I'm asking is now a good time to buy?

Answer 1:
Depending on your budget, you can sell your current cards and put that toward a 780...

Hence, yes buy a 780 if its in your budget.

Question 2:
Where on the video card release wave are we?

Answer 2:
Otherwise you can wait a year for the 800 series or the end of the year for for MAYBE an AMD release.

Hence, must be on the 700 series with the 800 a year away and the AMD wave is about to come.....

Any other questions?

I went from 2 470's to a single 680. Some may consider it a sidegrade, but it was an upgrade in overall enjoyment.

I went from 2 470's to a single 680. Some may consider it a sidegrade, but it was an upgrade in overall enjoyment.

Less heat, less noise, less chance of microstutter... Sure, maybe a sidegrade from a pure performance aspect, but from a day to day liveability aspect, I tend to prefer single cards.

Though I gotta tell you, I'm eyeing a triple monitor Lightboost setup which will necessitate SLI.

Best buy from what I can tell would be an nvidia 670 or 680. With the release of the 7xx series, there's downward pressure on the 6xx series making them a (relatively) much better deal. What resolutions do you game at? What kind of games? If 1080 or 1440 and light to moderate gaming (not BF3 cranked way up)...2gig of gddr should be fine, otherwise look for a 4gb 6xx card or a 3gig 7970.

Just my couple cents.

I want to play BF4 at 1440p. I play BF3 and a few other games that are not graphic intensive.

if you sell your 6970s -- what would you want for them? just curious. PM me.

Last edited:

Agreed.

No, do it.

If SLI is in your future maybe consider the reference blower cooler.

Back