Is norton system works worth the money

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
i was at walmart today and saw Norton System Works 2004 for $60 and I was wondering if it is worth the money and are there any cheaper places to buy it?

I never found Norton Systemworks that useful, I have 2003 and the only things i used were the Antivirus and Ghost, i no longer run Norton AV so i only use it when i need to use Ghost. I really don't think it is worth $60. The other stuff included(i am speaking for my 2003 version) like speed disk and some registry cleaning utility, you can probably find better solutions. I never liked speed disk(i use windows XP default defragger), and i have regcleaner so i find Norton's system doctor or whatever it is, pretty useless. Unless you really think you need it, i would just save your money and search for some freeware that can probably offer some of the same features. That is just my opinion though, wait for some others.

Theres not enough new content in NSW2004 to warrent buying it. Its basically the same stuff from 2003, repackaged in a hoggy package. wait for the next version.
I'd agree....theres not alot in it I use on a regular basis, and there are freeware programs that will accomplish the same thing. I DO like the antivirus.....its caught all the ones ive been hit with....even one that mcafee missed.

for anti virus i use AVG, it's free, and has free updates for life.
for defragging i use the windows defragger...comes with windows...for free
i use regcleaner to clean my registry..(the free version)
see my point? all those are free...why would i pay $60 for all that stuff, when they have other programs that do the samething for free?

the only program i use off of my SW2k3 disc is ghost...
you can buy ghost seperate, it's the only worthwile program on there IMO...

I have used Norton SystemWorks ever since they started buying up companies that actually made the applications that comprise the suite. I don't change versions unless they cease updating the products or they no longer work with the newer OS releases. There is nothing in SystemWorks that can't be picked up for free except Ghost in the Pro version, but I like the convienience and speed of having an integrated package at my fingertips. I'll probably skip 2004 and wait for the 2005 edition this go round :)

I used Systemworks 2003 for a long time, but I never used any of its utiliities that much. Speed disk did nothing noticeable for me, and the only thing I really used was the AV, which I uninstalled cause it slowed down my other system too much.

NOrton 2004 has hassles too because of the activation scheme, and some other quirks last I heard.

Bottom line, I don't think it's worth it; most of the tools can be replaced by free or better ones anyways.

I don't like bloatware so NSW is out for me.

I might pay more for my programs but I get what I want.

Such as

Anti-virus = NOD32
Anti-Trojan = TDS-3
Registry = Registry Clean Expert
Defragger = O&O

O&O is a great defraging program... quick and has a lot options to optimize your drive defragmenting

I've had systemworks 2002 and to be honest it is sitting in my cd folder untouched... I haven't put it on a system I've built since I bought the thing and though oh cool look at all the neat functions... You'd be much better off just saving your money and putting it towards a raptor SATA hard drive or some other cool hardware... to much freeware that does as good if not better job... just my two cents though... :)

I upgraded fromm 2003 to 2004 and I am sorry I did. 2004 is more of a resource hog than 2003 even with all the bells and whistles turned off at startup except Anti Virus.

i have been using system works the past few years and i love it
started with '02 and now have '03 and i use it to scan my system
4 times a week automatically!

Norton WinDoctor is awesome, finds any problems and always
corrects them quickly.

AntiVirus works fantastic and i have never had any problems
with that either!

im sure its a matter of opinion but i have to say its a great program!!

Back