Is No-One Excited for DDR4?

jacked up ?
I payed 100 euros for 2x2 GB gskill ecos few months after sandy bridge release

jacked up ?
I payed 100 euros for 2x2 GB gskill ecos few months after sandy bridge release

And I paid ~60 Euros for 4x4 GB Kingston Hyperx 1600 CAS9 memory 1.5 years ago.
And paid ~70 Euros for 2x4 GB Ram with similar specifications 2 weeks ago.

So yes I'd consider that jacked up.

With how jacked up memory prices are most people aren't anxious to go buy new DRAM. Plus, it has yet to prove its worth in terms of overall system performance or power consumption. I'm already running low voltage 1.35V DDR3 so DDR4's 1.2V is marginal.

Many enthusiasts run 1.5v and 1.65v DDR3 RAM today. 1.2v is a nice improvement. Lets not forget that DDR4 allows for double the module density meaning we can have much larger modules than we can with current DDR3 technology. Latencies will come down and speeds will ramp up as time goes on and while DDR4's benefits in the real world are incremental to non-existent now (at least where desktops are concerned) the improvements are necessary stepping stones for future improvements in both DDR4 and future memory technologies.

Many enthusiasts run 1.5v and 1.65v DDR3 RAM today. 1.2v is a nice improvement. Lets not forget that DDR4 allows for double the module density meaning we can have much larger modules than we can with current DDR3 technology. Latencies will come down and speeds will ramp up as time goes on and while DDR4's benefits in the real world are incremental to non-existent now (at least where desktops are concerned) the improvements are necessary stepping stones for future improvements in both DDR4 and future memory technologies.

Agreed, but I wish I could re-use my DDR3.

Maybe AMD will have a dual board.

I'm impatient to see a review that shows me what frequency / latency to choose for haswell-e.

On sandy bridge every module over 1866mhz show no visible improvements, I think that something similar will happen on haswell-e.

What is the best buy? 2133mhz? 2400mhz? 2800mhz?
I want a comparative review now :D

Last edited:
I'm impatient to see a review that shows me what frequency / latency to choose for haswell-e.

On sandy bridge every module over 1866mhz show no visible improvements, I think that something similar will happen on haswell-e.

They said the latency will be higher, so maybe to get close to the highest DDR3, you will need to buy the best DDR4?
Also just how much of a difference in real world scenarios will DDR4 be over DDR3?

Going from DDR3 1600 to 2133 is a percent or so in test about?(few fps in games)

There's one for Haswell. That one showed marginal improvements above 1866 mhz CAS 9.

They said the latency will be higher, so maybe to get close to the highest DDR3, you will need to buy the best DDR4?
Also just how much of a difference in real world scenarios will DDR4 be over DDR3?

Going from DDR3 1600 to 2133 is a percent or so in test about?(few fps in games)

DDR4 already has like a $100 average premium on DDR3, you are going to pay even more for premium memory with a lower latency. Save that couple of hundred and upgrade in a year after there's been a couple of rounds of production so yields and hopefully latency has improved so everything will be cheaper.

DDR4 already has like a $100 average premium on DDR3, you are going to pay even more for premium memory with a lower latency. Save that couple of hundred and upgrade in a year after there's been a couple of rounds of production so yields and hopefully latency has improved so everything will be cheaper.

Context. What does $100 mean percentage-wise?

I'm with waiting, just like all those people who buy consoles first gen...usually issues.

I understand it's a numbers game and technology moving forward, but, when I see people now with DDR3 say "I'm going to get 8GB,12GB,16GB, etc..." People respond with "why?" as in why get so much since you don't "utilize" it all unless you do photoshop and such.

Will this DDR4 really make a difference? I have 16GB now DDR3, an i5 Devils Canyon and am waiting on some nice SSD deals to crop up. How much faster can we really get?
Of course theoretically, A LOT.
I feel liek this is more a status thing than anything. If you have the money though, more power to you, I'd sure go for it if I did. :)

Context. What does $100 mean percentage-wise?

http://techgage.com/news/ddr4-is-just-as-expensive-as-we-feared-it-would-be/

2133Mhz 2x8GB: DDR3 CL 10 $155 DDR4 CL 16 $260. A 68% premium
2133mhz 4x8GB: DDR3 CL 10 $315 DDR4 CL 16 $520. A 65% premium

Keep in mind the mainstream DDR4 will likely be CL 19 or higher.

So assuming just like it was with DDR2 and DDR3 when they were new that performance equals or is just slightly better than the previous generation is it worth paying $105/205 more for the same performance?

No, but when buying a new platform necessitates buying the new RAM...

Back