Is New Ryzen Going to Have Entry Level?

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by MajorYikes, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

I see a bunch of stuff $300+ in the announcements but will they have anything sub $300?

I’ve never been one to buy top of the line, I can’t justify it as I don’t use all the power. Is there going to be a part I can afford?

2. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

Straight from AMD. line-up (so far) and Price list, including Ryzen 5 3600 for $199 USD:
    https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...ion-leadership-products-computex-2019-keynote
    Code:
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Desktop Processor Line-up and Availability

Model                    Cores/Threads             TDP (Watts)         Boost/Base Freq.              SEP (USD)
    Ryzen™ 5 3600            6/12                      65W                 4.2/3.6                           $199

Eventually there will probably be parts close to $99 (4 core), but AMD will likely be clearing Ryzen 2000 series parts for a long time and want to maximize ASP on 7nm Ryzen 3000 parts, so they are in no hurry to introduce those.

3. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

Ah okay. I got my info from an unnamed podcast in which they didn’t mention anything of the sort.

Good to see for a guy like me. Someone can close this if need be .

4. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

wouldn't be surprised if they show off the 3600x and maybe announce a 3500x at e3 since those 4/8 and 6/12 chips tended to be much more popular with most gamers. that being said i wonder what the TDP range will be on the 4/8 chips.

5. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

Also really curious about the 6/12 TDP...would be awesome to see how it will stack up to my 9400F considering power draw and the lack of HT on my 9400.

6. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

As far as I am aware, the only new Ryzen 3 coming (excluding OEM products) is the Ryzen 3 3200G, which is basically a higher clocked Ryzen 3 2200G.

7. somebrains

somebrains Gawd

None of the Zen+ line works as a starter cpu for the OP?

If you don't use much there are plenty of used 1300's and 1600's out there for less than the cost of a movie date.

dvsman likes this.
  8. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

I just bought a 1200 off of you haha

KazeoHin and somebrains like this.
  9. somebrains

somebrains Gawd

I was thinking about that when I was reading this thread.
    Trying to imagine x570 release day buyers at $500+ running an older cpu that’s under $100 waiting to go all in on a 12+ core the next pay check.

10. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

That 1200 is for a side project not my main rig lol. I MAY just spring and get a new Ruzennif they live up to the hype.

11. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

Do you have your eyes on one? Like I stated before I never have a real reason to but I always like to have something new.

12. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Ryzen (3) 3200G and Ryzen (5) 3400G should be coming out soon.

TheRookie likes this.
  13. Snowdog

Yeah, but these are NOT 7nm Zen 2 parts, just Raven Ridge with a mild process refresh 12nm (AKAK 14nm+) and Zen+.

Really these match Ryzen 2000 Series parts without APU, not 3000 series without APU.

14. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

Well, the is no reason why budget parts need to be on AMD's latest and greatest architecture.

15. Snowdog

If someone states that they want "new" Ryzen, they probably mean the new Zen 2 architecture. I am just making it clear that AMDs naming can be confusing on this issue.

drescherjm and MajorYikes like this.
  16. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Simply answering per the OP. As you mentioned ^^ they likely meant 3xxx non-G. :D

17. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Plenty of reasons that their 'budget' parts could stand to be on their latest architecture. Right tool for the job and all.

18. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

...such as?

19. IdiotInCharge

Microservers (AMD sells them as 'Ryzen Pro'), NUC-sized devices, mobile.

It should be blindingly obvious how useful having a competitive APU could be.

20. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Obviously there will be lower priced Zen 3 parts. If you are looking for a budget build, new 8 cores can be found for $150 and 6 cores can be found for $100 so there is no real reason to hold off (other than a few watts) as they will most likely be a better bang for the buck than the new lower end zen 3 parts, at least for a while.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  21. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Being an enthusiast is rough, man.

dragonstongue and Boil like this.
  22. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

What do you deem competitive? They already have the fastest apu by a pretty long shot - as in double the performance of their nearest (only?) competitor, so they're pushing as much 7nm silicon as they can at the server and high core count desktop space. When Intel releases a competitive igp (this fall?) I'd expect a 7nm response fairly quickly, but they need to pump out as many epycs as they can to satisfy demand.

23. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

depends on their yield as well as how many "cores" can be bin tested as well as the chiplet (I/O chip) maybe there is no 4/8 "standard" as there was with 2xxx and 1xxx Ryzen, I suppose totally depends on how good their yields are and how many they can "save" from the trash bin.

I imagine likely far more 4/8 then 6/12 will make the "de-bin" to lesser parts, then again, only AMD really knows currently their future 3xxx Zen 2 product stack will shape up to be.

I am sure there will be "something" though at the same time, this is not Intel it is AMD, not need 200 chips from one generation missing one feature or not having the same "abilities" instead is more or less a nice clean line from "this is a budget chip" to "you must really have money to burn or serious work to do with all them core(s)"

24. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

So a R5 3600 is only 300 mhz higher in boost (200 base) clock.. but leaked benchmarks show it 25% improvement over the R5 2600..

(compared to early pre-launch rumor's leaks -
    Ryzen 5 3600 8/16 Base 3.6GHz Boost 4.4GHz 65W)

25. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

...and why do, for example, NUC needs to be on Zen 2?

At least, with laptops, you can make a case that 7nm helps with reduced heat/power consumption

26. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Well...
    3.6GHz * 1.15 (15% ipc improvement) = 4.14GHz (comparible zen+ spec)
    4.14 / 3.4 = 1.217 (or approx 22% performance advantage)

That's not accounting for boost or xfr if present.

RAutrey likes this.
  27. IdiotInCharge

Competitive on the CPU side. The graphics side is less important, really, it just needs to be there.

The challenge is that the niche where their APUs exist is extremely small. APU graphics won't be competitive with discrete parts unless they can significantly increase bandwidth, and they need to do that while keeping main memory latency low. Intel's Iris solution is one method that seems to work pretty well, and their collaboration with AMD to put an AMD GPU with HBM on the same module works pretty well too.

Just hooking it up to main memory they have a performance cap.

Why not? Bring them up to near Skylake single-core performance with a competent IGP in a tiny package?

That would be exciting. I wish they'd announced something along those lines that might compete with Sunny Cove. As it stands, ultrabooks belong to Intel.

28. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

its AMD. everything is entry level and intel prices.

29. TheFlayedMan

TheFlayedMan Limp Gawd

I hope there is some overclocking headroom on the 3600. If they could easily clock to 4.7Ghz or more AMD will have something that will fly off the shelves I think.

30. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

Remember the days when a +\-25% OC wasn’t far fetched?

pendragon1 likes this.
  31. TheFlayedMan

TheFlayedMan Limp Gawd

Yes a return to those days would be nice

32. IdiotInCharge

300A Master Race reporting

RAutrey, Nightfire and MajorYikes like this.
  33. TheRookie

TheRookie Limp Gawd

There you go:

D8tujqUXUAITcyz.jpg
    D8tuj_PX4AAoYcv.jpg

34. MajorYikes

MajorYikes n00b

Yeeesh I’m reading leaks saying $149 for the 3400G? Wonder how true this is.

At $149, I’ll be in. I’ll either sell my current rig or just build a second one. I haven’t had an AMD rig in years...looking like it’s probably going to happen.

EDIT: TheRookie, I just saw your post. Shoot the 6C/12T at $199 looks pretty damn good to me...

TheRookie and Algrim like this.
  35. IdiotInCharge

Shouldn't be an issue given that the APUs are stuck on Zen+ and not getting an upgrade like the rest of the line. Recommend stretching to the R5 3600 at the least; those boost clocks on the APUs are essentially the ceiling, and they can still be finicky with RAM (which you'll want to maximize with an APU).

Snowdog likes this.