Is my wii gonna die?

Korgun

Supreme [H]ardness
Last night when I came home I noticed the wii's optical drive was pulsating blue, i thought this meant nintendo had either sent something or some sort of an update to my wii, so i turned it on and i didn't notice any changes, i saw some articles about the weather channel so i went to it and it said i needed a system update, i told it to update and the update was going extremely slow.

after 4 hours it was around half way, (moving, but SLLLOOOOWWWW). This morning when I woke up i checked it out and it was just a bit after where it was when i checked it last time. I've heard horror stories of crashes during firmware updates.... when i get home if the wii still isn't complete and i restart it, will the wii die?

Also, to mess up the situation even more my brother told me that our internet access is down :( (it was up all last night and this mornign...and up untill about four hours ago...)

It'll suck so much if the wii is dead.... 35 hours lost on zelda for me and 15 hours lost for my brother...

oh and a ton of experience in wii sports and a crapload of miis too :(

Korgun said:
Last night when I came home I noticed the wii's optical drive was pulsating blue, i thought this meant nintendo had either sent something or some sort of an update to my wii, so i turned it on and i didn't notice any changes, i saw some articles about the weather channel so i went to it and it said i needed a system update, i told it to update and the update was going extremely slow.

after 4 hours it was around half way, (moving, but SLLLOOOOWWWW). This morning when I woke up i checked it out and it was just a bit after where it was when i checked it last time. I've heard horror stories of crashes during firmware updates.... when i get home if the wii still isn't complete and i restart it, will the wii die?

Also, to mess up the situation even more my brother told me that our internet access is down :( (it was up all last night and this mornign...and up untill about four hours ago...)

It'll suck so much if the wii is dead.... 35 hours lost on zelda for me and 15 hours lost for my brother...

oh and a ton of experience in wii sports and a crapload of miis too :(

It shouldn't actually install the update until the entire file is downloaded, I think you'll be fine.

You are fine. Nothing is changed until the update is finished downloading. The slow download speed is not indicative of anything, either. Bad network configuration. Maybe just network congestion. Just restart and try it again.

Have you even tried unplugging it and plugging it back in yet? why post here before you try something basic like that. If that doesn't fix then you might have a reason to be worried.

CodeX said:
Have you even tried unplugging it and plugging it back in yet? why post here before you try something basic like that. If that doesn't fix then you might have a reason to be worried.
I just reset it and nothing is wrong, yaay.

And the reason for the post was really in hopes of a response saying "hold A and 2 at the same time to cancel the update process" or such.

CodeX said:

Give the kid a break... He was just worried he might break the Wii a la turning off your computer during a BIOS update. It's better to ask than to try something and ask AFTER you break it.

CodeX said:

I think he did the right thing asking first. What if it was doing a bios update and he unplugged it.......The smart thing to do is ask before you possibly screw things up.

nunyabiz said:
I think he did the right thing asking first. What if it was doing a bios update and he unplugged it.......The smart thing to do is ask before you possibly screw things up.

QFT. The OP followed the logic that interrupting a firmware update is a bad thing to do. This is true with computer during BIOS updates, etc. If I were in his spot, I'd have thought the same way.

But yeah, glad to hear your Wii is fine. I'm about 40 hours into Zelda, and wow, I'd wanna cry if I had to do it all over again. I understand. ;)

Back