Is my video card kaput?

Kingpin

Gawd
Getting all sorts of artifacts out of the blue last 2 days. Started while Im gaming and it seems to be getting worse. While doing nothing my desktop will flicker for no reason. Iv tried redoing the drivers but nothing seems to fix it. Just want to know all my options before getting a new card. Im using GTX 560 TI, so any suggestions on a new card too?

http://i.imgur.com/oSUAw.jpg
oSUAwl.jpg

Its essentially resoldering/reflowing all the solder joints. Does it only do artifacts at load? Are you overclocking?

Gtx 560 is new enough that its probably under warranty still. Don't "reflow" it, just rma.
BTW, reflow = stick it in the oven and hope your shit doesn't melt. The only time its even remotely viable is if you can't do anything else but throw away the card.

Gtx 560 is new enough that its probably under warranty still. Don't "reflow" it, just rma.
BTW, reflow = stick it in the oven and hope your shit doesn't melt. The only time its even remotely viable is if you can't do anything else but throw away the card.

Defenitely RMA if its under warranty.

And reflowing doesn't mean its going to go in the oven.

When I reflow GPUs I don't throw them in the oven. I use a soldering iron and I use a hot air station. Thats the proper method of doing it.

I got this card in March from newegg so it should still be under warranty. The thing is I got this card to replace another card that has the same type of issues. Now I havent had a issue till last few days. Im hoping its just the card that is the problem and not something like the mobo or something else. Just not sure how to test anything else. Is there any other stress test program or option to test other possible problems other then the video card?

I got this card in March from newegg so it should still be under warranty. The thing is I got this card to replace another card that has the same type of issues. Now I havent had a issue till last few days. Im hoping its just the card that is the problem and not something like the mobo or something else. Just not sure how to test anything else. Is there any other stress test program or option to test other possible problems other then the video card?

Have you tried a different power supply?

Have ya tried checking the cooling? The card is at max temp of 59c according to the pic.

Yes it's your video card, yes RMA it back to the manufacture for replacement. No do not try to reflow the GPU which will most definitely void your warranty. Reflowing should only be a last resort before throwing it in the can.

RMAing it has my vote. Heck, they might send you something better.

Yes it's your video card, yes RMA it back to the manufacture for replacement. No do not try to reflow the GPU which will most definitely void your warranty. Reflowing should only be a last resort before throwing it in the can.

If the card is still under warranty, +1 to this.

If not, you could try baking it or reflowing it as the others have stated.

This is your GPU... this is your GPU on acid... :p

when OP says 'want to know all my options before getting a new card' I assumed that meant no warranty.

So yeah, don't try reflowing.

And if this is the second time this has happened there's something funny going on, perhaps they sent you back the same card after chucking it in the nVidia ezy-bake oven..

Most likely the only thing going on imo is poor implementation of an aftermarket cooling solution from the manufacture. I have seen some video cards with heat sink fans that you could literally wiggle. I have also seen cooling solutions where they use some very cheap metal for the heatsink and paint it to look like copper. At this juncture with this being your second card that has gone out I would ask them if they have another solution for you to try. I think that with some persistence and the fact that you have been patient with them You have a very valid reason to ask for a different model card to try and remedy what appears to be a bad design.

Back