Is my video card going bad? Something is REALLY weird here...

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So I mentioned in another thread my 2080ti wasn't "idling" and that it was stuck at a constant 1350MHz/7000MHz... it's still doing that however something else weird is going on. So the other day I noticed Resident Evil 3 at max settings was performing abysmally bad. At 1440p with all settings maxed I was in the 20FPS and 14FPS range... no joke. I was completely confused. So yesterday I completely reformatted everything on my computer, reinstalled drivers, and I installed Resident Evil 3 and Modern Warfare. I was able to play RE3 with great performance and I was thinking that solved my problem. So this morning I bought Cold War and installed it... maxed out the settings in-game with RTX stuff off @ 1440p and I was getting like between 40-50fps... so now I am immediately thinking this game is shit and poorly optimized, etc. So I load up Modern Warfare since I had no issue with that even before my Windows reinstall, and in the main menu I check all the settings I had before were still setup properly and they are...

However I am noticed an EXTREME dip in FPS... to 25fps... just on the main menu where the guy is walking with a gun... and I can't figure out what's going on. So I look at Hardware Monitor on the 2nd screen and I see the GPU (which remember is normally idling at 1350MHZ/7000MHz) is performing somewhere between 700 and 800 MHz on the core and the Memory is staying a constant 7k (which it always is at). I am completely confused... I turned on max performance mode in Nvidia Panel, and followed steps from the other thread about my weird idling issue and nothing is running in the background on this PC at all that would cause this... again I just reformatted yesterday and the only things I have installed on here other than drivers is 3 games. So I load up a Warzone practice level and run around and the Core clocks are doing the same thing... going between 600 and 800 MHz and the memory clock is staying at 7000 MHz no matter what. I exit the game and now the GPU is back to idling at 1350MHZ/7000MHz.

I don't know what to think anymore honestly. I was running 3DMark this morning for a while and didn't notice this... I just can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. I reformatted my computer precisely because I noticed the same weird framerate dips playing Warzone the other day and this started just happening randomly. I don't know what to think anymore... i've tried reformatting, latest drivers, 3 previous Nvidia drivers, and now I am just stuck and don't know what to do. I am sure EVGA will warranty my card but I don't know how I can know for sure the card is the culprit here.

Update: I just loaded up Resident Evil 3 after posting this and the GPU clock dips immediately to 300MHz exactly and stays there when playing... and obviously horrible framerates with that... idk wtf is going on!!! Of course Memory clocks are rock solid at 7000MHz at all times like usual.

So I mentioned in another thread my 2080ti wasn't "idling" and that it was stuck at a constant 1350MHz/7000MHz... it's still doing that however something else weird is going on. So the other day I noticed Resident Evil 3 at max settings was performing abysmally bad. At 1440p with all settings maxed I was in the 20FPS and 14FPS range... no joke. I was completely confused. So yesterday I completely reformatted everything on my computer, reinstalled drivers, and I installed Resident Evil 3 and Modern Warfare. I was able to play RE3 with great performance and I was thinking that solved my problem. So this morning I bought Cold War and installed it... maxed out the settings in-game with RTX stuff off @ 1440p and I was getting like between 40-50fps... so now I am immediately thinking this game is shit and poorly optimized, etc. So I load up Modern Warfare since I had no issue with that even before my Windows reinstall, and in the main menu I check all the settings I had before were still setup properly and they are...

However I am noticed an EXTREME dip in FPS... to 25fps... just on the main menu where the guy is walking with a gun... and I can't figure out what's going on. So I look at Hardware Monitor on the 2nd screen and I see the GPU (which remember is normally idling at 1350MHZ/7000MHz) is performing somewhere between 700 and 800 MHz on the core and the Memory is staying a constant 7k (which it always is at). I am completely confused... I turned on max performance mode in Nvidia Panel, and followed steps from the other thread about my weird idling issue and nothing is running in the background on this PC at all that would cause this... again I just reformatted yesterday and the only things I have installed on here other than drivers is 3 games. So I load up a Warzone practice level and run around and the Core clocks are doing the same thing... going between 600 and 800 MHz and the memory clock is staying at 7000 MHz no matter what. I exit the game and now the GPU is back to idling at 1350MHZ/7000MHz.

I don't know what to think anymore honestly. I was running 3DMark this morning for a while and didn't notice this... I just can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. I reformatted my computer precisely because I noticed the same weird framerate dips playing Warzone the other day and this started just happening randomly. I don't know what to think anymore... i've tried reformatting, latest drivers, 3 previous Nvidia drivers, and now I am just stuck and don't know what to do. I am sure EVGA will warranty my card but I don't know how I can know for sure the card is the culprit here.

Update: I just loaded up Resident Evil 3 after posting this and the GPU clock dips immediately to 300MHz exactly and stays there when playing... and obviously horrible framerates with that... idk wtf is going on!!! Of course Memory clocks are rock solid at 7000MHz at all times like usual.

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (Wagnard) in safe mode. Then install an OLDER version of the Nvidia driver. Try 456.98 Hotfix and see if that works (it worked for someone else).
I've seen multiple complaints from 1080 Ti owners about the latest drivers causing some pretty bad issues. One person had 6 FPS on League of Legends (though that was on a 3070), and another person had 6 FPS in I think RDR2. Both were fixed by a DDU in safe mode and reinstall, one was fixed by going back to 456.98 Hotfix driver.

I was going to post in favor of DDU too, then thought wiping and reinstalling Windows would have the same cleansing effect, no? I do agree with trying an older driver tho. If that doesn't work... maybe try flashing the VBIOS with an updated version from Techpowerup archive? Idk

Edit: Temps and fan speeds?

Clean installing windows is a bit extreme.
In this case also like rebuilding your transmission when your engine tune is wrong.

Clean installing should have cleared any issues that DDU wouldn’t have (DDU is a gun, reinstall is a cannon).

Do you notice such weirdness when not gaming too? Meaning, perhaps a safe mode deep virus check is in order? Some are particularly nasty in their staying power, even after reinstall. Also, check for dust trapped in the card, perhaps it is triggering something when you really give it a workout.

Just thinking of solutions I’ve used in the past. Good luck!

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (Wagnard) in safe mode. Then install an OLDER version of the Nvidia driver. Try 456.98 Hotfix and see if that works (it worked for someone else).
I've seen multiple complaints from 1080 Ti owners about the latest drivers causing some pretty bad issues. One person had 6 FPS on League of Legends (though that was on a 3070), and another person had 6 FPS in I think RDR2. Both were fixed by a DDU in safe mode and reinstall, one was fixed by going back to 456.98 Hotfix driver.

I was going to post in favor of DDU too, then thought wiping and reinstalling Windows would have the same cleansing effect, no? I do agree with trying an older driver tho. If that doesn't work... maybe try flashing the VBIOS with an updated version from Techpowerup archive? Idk

Clean installing should have cleared any issues that DDU wouldn’t have (DDU is a gun, reinstall is a cannon).

Do you notice such weirdness when not gaming too? Meaning, perhaps a safe mode deep virus check is in order? Some are particularly nasty in their staying power, even after reinstall. Also, check for dust trapped in the card, perhaps it is triggering something when you really give it a workout.

Do I uninstall all the Nvidia drivers from Control Panel before using DDU?

Do I uninstall all the Nvidia drivers from Control Panel before using DDU?
No DDU will take care of the uninstalling. I would recommend you enable it to run in safe mode settings and reboot and run it from safe mode (can all be done / initiated from within DDU) additionally there is an option in DDU that will block windows from trying to install drivers on its own that i would recommend. So install DDU and enable both of these settings> tell it to reboot and run from safe mode> do the clean and restart option and then when you are rebooted back to windows you simply install the driver of your choice as normal again.

No DDU will take care of the uninstalling. I would recommend you enable it to run in safe mode settings and reboot and run it from safe mode (can all be done / initiated from within DDU) additionally there is an option in DDU that will block windows from trying to install drivers on its own that i would recommend. So install DDU and enable both of these settings> tell it to reboot and run from safe mode> do the clean and restart option and then when you are rebooted back to windows you simply install the driver of your choice as normal again.

So I just got done with DDU. Did everything suggested in Safe Mode... and it's still doing the same thing. I launched Modern Warfare and the GPU MHz jumped from doing nothing and idle at the desktop at 1350MHz and 1095MHz to sinking to a constant 330MHz as soon as the game is running. I really think the GPU is fucked up... i've never seen anything like this before. I submitted a ticket/RMA to EVGA and we'll see what they say.

Also slight change is that it's always idled at the desktop at 1350/7000 like i've said but now it is mostly 1095/7000 for some weird reason.

So I just got done with DDU. Did everything suggested in Safe Mode... and it's still doing the same thing.
This, plus your reinstall, suggests it's not software caused (except some nasty virus, but you'd see effects elsewhere - when not pushing the GPU). Perhaps your card is gone bad after all. Hopefully wiser [H] members will help you out more!

Sounds like maybe a power issue. Could you try different PCIe connectors?

What are the temps like?

That sounds like what would happen if it was throttling horribly. Maybe the cooler got loose somehow?

sounds like driver issues.....try what Falk mentioned

This, plus your reinstall, suggests it's not software caused (except some nasty virus, but you'd see effects elsewhere - when not pushing the GPU). Perhaps your card is gone bad after all. Hopefully wiser [H] members will help you out more!

So I had to update this thread on something VERY interesting I just noticed. I RMA'd my 2080ti XC Gaming with EVGA and they sent me back a XC Ultra. YAY, better video card. Well, same problem as my original post... HIGH as hell idle clock speeds... 1140MHz/7000MHz. I couldn't believe I was running into the same issues again. So after searching online in the Nvidia forms (I will link what I found below) people were saying that this happens when you are running dual monitors where one of them is a high refresh rate monitor, and changing the refresh rate "fixes" the issue. So I go into Nvidia control panel and change my primary 1440p monitor from 144hz to 60hz, and BOOM my idle speeds are then 315/405 as opposed to 1140/7000. HUGE difference. My secondary monitor is just a regular 60hz 1080p monitor I don't change. I go back and change the primary to 144hz, and BOOM idle speeds are back to 1140/7000. So that's the problem here... whether it's some core issue with drivers at the moment or something I do not know, but it definitely sucks... so I unplugged my secondary monitor and my idle speeds are back to normal... which means I have to go back to using a single monitor for now until this issue is fixed.

I really wonder if anyone here has experienced this exact problem because this obviously does not just affect me.

Very high idle clocks on GTX 1080 wi | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

So I had to update this thread on something VERY interesting I just noticed. I RMA'd my 2080ti XC Gaming with EVGA and they sent me back a XC Ultra. YAY, better video card. Well, same problem as my original post... HIGH as hell idle clock speeds... 1140MHz/7000MHz. I couldn't believe I was running into the same issues again. So after searching online in the Nvidia forms (I will link what I found below) people were saying that this happens when you are running dual monitors where one of them is a high refresh rate monitor, and changing the refresh rate "fixes" the issue. So I go into Nvidia control panel and change my primary 1440p monitor from 144hz to 60hz, and BOOM my idle speeds are then 315/405 as opposed to 1140/7000. HUGE difference. My secondary monitor is just a regular 60hz 1080p monitor I don't change. I go back and change the primary to 144hz, and BOOM idle speeds are back to 1140/7000. So that's the problem here... whether it's some core issue with drivers at the moment or something I do not know, but it definitely sucks... so I unplugged my secondary monitor and my idle speeds are back to normal... which means I have to go back to using a single monitor for now until this issue is fixed.

I really wonder if anyone here has experienced this exact problem because this obviously does not just affect me.

Very high idle clocks on GTX 1080 wi | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

The idle clock problem is as old as some users real life age. Not too long ago, some AMD cards would not down clock at 144hz because a reduced vertical blanking interval prevented cards from downclocking (I think HD 6970 and 7970 and 280x). 290X and Vega were not affected. And Nvidia and multi-monitor problems are about as old as cards having multiple display ports...

The idle clock problem is as old as some users real life age. Not too long ago, some AMD cards would not down clock at 144hz because a reduced vertical blanking interval prevented cards from downclocking (I think HD 6970 and 7970 and 280x). 290X and Vega were not affected. And Nvidia and multi-monitor problems are about as old as cards having multiple display ports...
That's crazy because I never ran into this problem before. Has to be some long-seated issue that I hope gets fixed. Just don't understand why this is an issue all of a sudden. It hasn't been like this ever for me, and all of a sudden a month ago this shit starts happening and now I can't use a secondary monitor.

Back