Is my video card dying? The card works, but FPS is very low now.

I brought my computer over to a friend's house. He's basically an expert on computer hardware and troubleshooting. We reinstalled drivers cleanly and tested with his GTX 760 and it ran it just fine. We benchmarked the GTX 760 and it gave something like 50 FPS on the basic Heaven Benchtest (whereas my GTX 560 gives about 2 FPS). We swapped cards in and out a few times and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers one or two times and concluded that my GTX 560 is the problem. Apparently it's also responsible for the slower boot time - he thinks Windows is getting some sort of error having a problem when the drivers try to access the video card. The rig booted up quickly, like normal, with the GTX 760 and also just via the built-in video on the motherboard (which, amazingly, I didn't know was an option). Looks like I'm in the market for a new video card now.

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k, overclocked to 4.2 Ghz/core
RAM: 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM running at 1600 Mhz.
PSU: 550W Antec Basiq
Main Drive: 128 GB Kingston Hyper X

GPU: Geforce GTX 560, 2 GB RAM, eVGA brand (all I really know about it as I didn't build the rig, no overclock as far as I know). Drivers recently updated to NVidia 382.53

First Sign of a Problem

I've been using this Geforce GTX 560 card for several years and haven't had any problems with it, and it's played some demanding games like Skyrim and Planetside 2. Two days ago, sometime after bootup, I saw a few screen glitches, like a couple little boxes suddenly showing up and flickering on the screen in random places, about 20 of them.

Initial Response

So I rebooted and everything seemed OK. About 20 minutes later I went to go play Planetside 2 and the graphics wouldn't render properly - it's like I saw planar sheets coming down from the sky when I looked around. I thought I might try updating the driver since it had been over a year. (In retrospect, this was probably a troubleshooting mistake.) (Updated to NVidia 382.53) I also used the DDU tool to completely remove the old driver. I also swapped in some older RAM (4 x 2 GB low end Brand X stuff) that the computer had run on just fine for years and it had no effect.

Symptoms:

Extremely low FPS in games - When I load Planetside 2 I don't get those sheets, but the FPS is very low and that's after putting it on the lowest settings. It also performs very poorly in Skyrim which seems to take a long time to load now. I also only does about 3 FPS in Heaven Benchmark on its default settings (and the stuff it's rendering it would normally fly through).

It's almost like the video card lost its processing power or some of its pipes and is now a very weak card. I removed the card and cleaned some dust off with a lens wipe. It didn't seem too dirty and it had no effect.

Also, my system boot up time has increased from 30 seconds to 100 seconds (for being able to use Windows). During the boot, the system posts, Windows says it's loading, then the screen goes blank for about 80 seconds. Then I can start using the system.

I can use the computer. I'm using it right now and can even play Sins of a Solar Empire, but any graphically intense FPS-type game seems to be a problem.

Diagnosis?

Does it sound like a dying video card?

Could it be a Power Supply issue manifesting itself as a video card problem?

Could it be some sort of Drivers or Direct X problem?

What would explain the increased time to load Windows? (30 seconds before, now 100)

I can handle having to replace the video card if it's dead. I'm fine with that and it's an easy fix, but the uncertainty is killing me and I'd hate to shell out $100 - $150 for a new video card (that's not at a hot/Slickdeal price) only to find out that something else is wrong (like a problem with the motherboard or PSU).

If part of the Video Card were Broken, say cooked pipes or bad RAM, would it "throttle down" and try to get the job done using whatever working transistors were available? If one half of the card were fried, would the other half keep working? People talk of "dying video cards" but normally in terms of artifacting.

Heaven Beanchmark data:

I ran Heaven Benchmark and it seemed like my system could barely run it on High quality with everything else turned off, and even though the CPU was hardly being used (video card bottle neck?) my system was slow when minimized. I took some screenshots as it was running and the data for two of the shots is:
• FPS 2
• GeForce GTX 560
• Graphics 50 MHz
• Memory 135 MHz
• Processor 101 MHz
• Temperature 28 deg C

Shouldn't the Graphics, Memory, and Processor all be at much higher speeds? According to CPU-Z fir 3D applications it should be core 865 MHz, Shaders 1730 MHz, and Memory 2004 MHz.
All of the other functions of my computer seem to be OK so far other than the unusually long boot time.

Last edited:
More likely it's overheating.
Pull the video card out and blow out the heatsink/fan with compressed air.
Clean the rest of your case out while your in there for good measure.

Run DDU and then reinstall drivers after cleaning fan like ^^ said and make sure it is spinning.

Boot up with a Live Linux CD or thumb drive and see if it is still jacked.

More likely it's overheating.
Pull the video card out and blow out the heatsink/fan with compressed air.
Clean the rest of your case out while your in there for good measure.

You think overheating would increase system boot time from 30 seconds to 100 seconds?

I don't think a video card would half fry itself... I believe it would either not work, work just fine, or work with artifacts/tearing. However that is weird your benchmark is not showing the correct speeds of the card.

The last video card I had go bad (a long time ago) was an ATI 9800 pro... if it would get into the system without a blue screen, it would have severely bad artifacts all over the screen. After that I basically got out of the pc scene for console gaming... I just recently built myself a new pc after I am fed up with consoles...

I may have missed where you said it in your post but have you tried formatting and installing everything fresh?

Last edited:
Well, I've been using the computer for about 48 hours now since this all began and it seems to run fine. So, I'm wondering if the problem is some sort of damage to Registry keys or driver/settings-related problem. I think I'm going to format one of my extra spindle drives and do a fresh install on it (leaving the current install alone) and see what happens, but it might take a while until I really have the time to do that.

I brought my computer over to a friend's house. He's basically an expert on computer hardware and troubleshooting. We reinstalled drivers cleanly and tested with his GTX 760 and it ran it just fine. We benchmarked the GTX 760 and it gave something like 50 FPS on the basic Heaven Benchtest (whereas my GTX 560 gives about 2 FPS). We swapped cards in and out a few times and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers one or two times and concluded that my GTX 560 is the problem. Apparently it's also responsible for the slower boot time - he thinks Windows is getting some sort of error having a problem when the drivers try to access the video card. The rig booted up quickly, like normal, with the GTX 760 and also just via the built-in video on the motherboard (which, amazingly, I didn't know was an option). Looks like I'm in the market for a new video card now.

You know a lowly 1050 would probably double + the potential of a working good 560 GTX, ;). There have been some deals in the sub $80 on slickdeals as of late.

Or for a bit over 100$, a 1050TI gives a lot of a power boost, plus the option of 4K Netflix in windows 10...

Here's what I just purchased:

MSI dual fan GTX 1050

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137057

$93 after rebate shipped with free Rocket League (a $5 value to me) making the effective price $88, assuming that I get the rebate back. I've done a significant amount of research and the cheapest 1050 TI is $130 after rebate, a $37 difference or 40%. I've been gaming on the 560 for some time and it played all the games I wanted to play (Planetside 2, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, the new Unreal Tournament 4) on my 24" 1080p monitor, so I figure that the normal 1050 should get the job done for me for at least two years. If need more video card at that point I could attempt to sell the 1050 on Craigslist and get a newer more powerful card once the Etherium mining craze has long passed.

I also contemplated getting this Gigabyte card for $7 more since I think it has a slightly better HSF, but the idea here was to keep this as cheap as possible allowing me to justify passing on getting a 1050 TI. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125919

Between those two cards, which one do you think has the better cooling solution? Does that MSI card have a crappy HSF set up relative to that Gigabyte?

Honestly I think the cards are low power enough it probably does not matter much. In theory these are 75w cards, but the gigabyte does look to have a bit more aluminum. Probably the real world difference is when the fans kick on and for how long.

Back