is my video card dead?

BuddhaRage

n00b
I have a 6800 gt that I've had for a while. Starting two days ago, I started getting artifacts on the screen. I tried re-installing drivers and cooling down the card. It got better. Then, all of sudden, while playing Company of Heroes, it started crashing. Now when I start the computer, the POST screens artifact where I can't even see what the words are, and then after the Windows XP load screen, I lost contact with my monitor.:confused:

I'm 90% sure I'm going to need a new video card, but I'd like to fix it if I can. Any and all help is appreciated.

I have my xbox 360 hooked to my monitor, and it works just fine, so I know it's other hardware related.

It could be either the graphics card has snuffed it, the core is getting too hot or your PSU cannot supply enough power any more.

If the core is getting too hot, it can damage the card.
Its quite likely the heatsink paste fitted at manufacture has gone off and needs replacing.

Try another PSU if its not heat related.

Did you try re-applying the thermal paste? Who made your video card? Did you register it?

Thanks guys. I'll try that.

If it also helps, I can boot into safe mode (by blindly using the keyboard after POST), and it looks fine. I've tried Driver Cleaning and rebooting. Same results.

Thanks guys. I'll try that.

If it also helps, I can boot into safe mode (by blindly using the keyboard after POST), and it looks fine. I've tried Driver Cleaning and rebooting. Same results.

Naa, doesnt help cos in safe mode the hardware isnt fully utilised and cannot run in full power mode so neither the graphics card or the PSU is being used as much.

I bought this card when it first came out. It's the Nvidia manufactured one. I was on the bleeding edge back then, lol. The warranty is expired :(

I'm going to try thermal paste, and get back to you guys by this weekend. I really appreciate all the help. I've been registered to this forum for years, but haven't posted in a long, long time. It's great to know the community is still thriving.

It ended up being my video card. I went ahead and replaced it with a 8800gt. I used an endangered 939 socket motherboard I found at Goodwill, lol. I'll tell you guys how it turns out.

Cool, glad you're up and running, AND with an 8800GT :)

I had a problem like that a few months ago.. Turns out it was a bad stick of RAM.

Back