Is my Rtx2080 dead?

Ruddys

Weaksauce
Hi. Hoping you guys can help me out as my Christmas eve ended with crocodile tears.
So I have rtx2080 with nzxt g12 and corsair Aio for cooling and temps even on hardest loads did did not reach over 53C till now.
Was playing destiny 2 for couple of hours and then got crash. Thought its game foult so did wipe drivers with DDU..then just thought to try different game and noticed GPU temp goes to 75c and freezes my PC.

So my gpu is most likely dead? Or is there something else I could check before delivering the gpu to trash bin?

Apologies for spelling errors but not my main language and its 2.20am as I can't sleep due to worry

My 1st hope was that it is the pump but have no idea how to tell if the pump on Aio is broken as I tried to feel any vibration or flow through tubes but could not tell the difference between the gpu aio and cpu one.
The thing what makes me worrie is that it crashes at 75c . Only reason why I did put Aio on it was that stock cooler was reaching 80c and even then it was working fine.

I would see if the pump is good or perhaps even there is an air pocket in the AIO tubing. I know on my H100i, I had to get rid of the air bubbles because it was not working correctly until I did. I would look online on how to do that, if it is needed.

75C will not crash the GPU, as you mentioned with stock cooling it was at 80C with no issue. Maybe your AIO is on the way out but it could easily be something else.

Don't think the temps are at issue if it's crashing at 75 C... They should operate up to 90 and be fine.

Maybe try adding a teeny bit more voltage and doing a stability test. Or try downclocking 50-100Mhz

I did remove GPU from its AIO for now just to check if there is something visible on the card itself but will try to do furmark once I put it back together to roll out PSU fault as well. And tommrow have to do research about air pockets in Aio.
And really thank you all for such quick replies and help even in Christmas time. I am not made out of money and took huge efforts to save for the system I have so issue like that makes my soul crawl out of body.

Shouldn't an RTX2080 still be under manufacturer's warranty?

In any case, if the AIO cooler is working, you should be feeling warm air coming from the radiator when gaming. If you aren't getting any warm air from the radiator, then the pump probably died.

Quick update.
So did reassemble the GPU put new thermal paste twisted AIO tubes to ensure they are not blocking the flow.
So after 5min furmark temps are back to 52c. Tried running assassin's creed odyssey and works as it should. Tomorrow will give it a bit longer session to stress the system but so far looks promising. Then again still have no idea what was the fault.

Thank you all once again for help best forum with best people and super quick response

Shouldn't an RTX2080 still be under manufacturer's warranty?

In any case, if the AIO cooler is working, you should be feeling warm air coming from the radiator when gaming. If you aren't getting any warm air from the radiator, then the pump probably died.

Not sure if Nvidia would accept warranty if I had opened it and atached vram heatsinks with keeps falling off anyway

Not sure if Nvidia would accept warranty if I had opened it and atached vram heatsinks with keeps falling off anyway
If you can return it to stock cooling and you didn't modify the card in an irreversible way or a way that damaged it, should be OK.

Just another update.
Seems issue got fixed somehow. Have been playing destiny 2 for 3 hours with 165mhz Core and 1000mhz memorie overclock and temps are back to 60c max.

Might be that there was flow block in AIO even tho it will not explain why it crashed pc at 75c

Just another update.
Seems issue got fixed somehow. Have been playing destiny 2 for 3 hours with 165mhz Core and 1000mhz memorie overclock and temps are back to 60c max.

Might be that there was flow block in AIO even tho it will not explain why it crashed pc at 75c
The temperature on Nvidia GPU is at the edge, so it is possible that with low or no water flow, the GPU rapidly heats up internally to point of self protection before the edge temperature catches up, once it shuts down the heat dissipates through cooler and rest of die. Just the higher temperature over normal indicated something changed. During a transient edge temperature does not always indicate the highest temperature of the chip.

Back