Is my rig better than an xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oline61 said:
However if there is no motion between fields, for instance low motion or still scenes, the fields line up into a perfect 1920x1080 image. :p

no no

your brain interprets it as a perfect image. it is still only 540 lines being show at 1/30 of a second :)

BlackDragon323 said:
It's about time someone said this.
Being a hardcore console gamer all my life I WAS about to get one. Instead I chose to get a better video card and more ram which cost me less in the end. I took one look at the launch line-up and was SO unimpressed. There is NOTHING on that launch line-up that is worth dropping a penny for the 360......right NOW that is.

Well, just to pose the obvious question, what's so happening in PC gaming right now? I'm a pikachu, so I like the Kameo, NFSMW and such, that are lauching with X360, and they are much more interesting to me than the PC gaming line up.

Hey, whatever works for you ;)

Oline61 said:
R520 will get better FPS at the same settings as R500. If thats not more power and performance, then I should use integrated graphics instead of my 6600GT.

And where did you get this tidbit of info ? the inquirer.
Not only has no one been able to compare the two, but the R500 isn't even in a production card, nor is it slated to be in the next generation card.

Im calling shens on this FPS bs, because it is just not possible, as there is no card which has the R500 core in it.

Integrate graphics in a PC =/= the R500 in the XBOX360. :rolleyes:

Torgo said:
As far as you are concerned, I AM the Savior of this gaming forum. Exactly how many games and units have you sold? How many gaming books have you written? Do you talk to other game developers on a daily basis? Have you visited the sacred sanctums of game developers?

Yeah, that's what I thought. There are other people much, much more qualified than me out there, but not in this forum. So, yeah, I'm holier than thou.

e-peen+++

your cookie is in the mail. :rolleyes:

There is always someone bigger and better, in this case it is Carmack. You must have missed the memo from Carmack where he put off developing for PC because he thought the 360 was much easier to program for.

Damn, didn't think it was possible to beat that dead of a horse... :rolleyes:

fmutug8xu.gif

figgie said:
psst

when the xbox can do 1600x1200.. get back to me.. Ooh wait it can only do 480i and 1080i (which bandwidth wise = 520p)?? Hmm.

which runs better

1600x1200 with all the goodies turned on or

1920x1080i (or really 960x540)..

hmmmm yep.. xbox is faster alright! :) and it better be considering that the graphic resolution is LESS!!

Poor job at misleading.

Please be a little more clear with your rebuttals before you get torn up on this forum. Lately we haven't been too nice around this subject.

Originally Posted by Torgo
As far as you are concerned, I AM the Savior of this gaming forum. Exactly how many games and units have you sold? How many gaming books have you written? Do you talk to other game developers on a daily basis? Have you visited the sacred sanctums of game developers?

Yeah, that's what I thought. There are other people much, much more qualified than me out there, but not in this forum. So, yeah, I'm holier than thou.

lolohrly6hq.jpg

PikachuMan said:
Well, just to pose the obvious question, what's so happening in PC gaming right now? I'm a pikachu, so I like the Kameo, NFSMW and such, that are lauching with X360, and they are much more interesting to me than the PC gaming line up.

Hey, whatever works for you ;)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Yes, if Mario Kart DS floats your boat, then get a DS. If you like Kameo and Gotham Racing, go get a XBox360. Be happy.

I'm only jumping into this thread because so many people have this mistaken perception that this PowerPC chip is better than this AMD Athlon 64 X2. It really is apple to oranges because of the way the architectures are structured. People see theoretical numbers, core numbers and pipelines they assume one is better than the other. Break it down into how the chips actually work and function you'll see the truth that some chips have flaws that could hamper certain types of games.

Hey, a lot of it is going to boil down to how the games are programmed. To be honest, game programmers aren't exactly the best folks for programming standards. Yeah, Carmack is probably going to multi-thread everything, but that doesn't mean everyone else is. Hell, most game programmers, no make that most business and game programmers today don't use Hyperthreading the way it should and that's a known fact. Just this week a notice went out because SQL Server has a flaw that hyperthreading slows performance if turned on.

The Xenon just has some quirks in executing instructions both in the pipeline and how it reorders them that will cause certain gaming components to suffer. That's in the final silicon. You can't change that.

As much s I hate the O-RLY bird, I have to say I got a little chuckle out of that one. I have nto seen it before.

You may want to snip the bottom copyright thingy tho.

bonkrowave said:
There is always someone bigger and better, in this case it is Carmack. You must have missed the memo from Carmack where he put off developing for PC because he thought the 360 was much easier to program for.
Are you referring to the QuakeCon keynote or his comment on the PS3 vs. XBox360? I've got both quotes.

John Carmack said:
"Xbox 360 has far and away the best development tools," Carmack said. "PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20% easier to develop on is much more important than being 20% more powerful."
John Carmack via TechReport said:
The quintessential PC game programmer then dropped a bit of a bombshell by announcing that he had recently moved his primary development efforts over to the Xbox 360, and that he expected to continue development there for the next six months—although the PC version of id Software's next game will still be released first. One of his reasons for the move to Xbox 360 for development, Carmack said, was the headache of driver issues on the PC platform. The several layers of abstraction on the PC make it hard to nail down exact graphics performance because the programmer is held at a distance from the hardware. By contrast, the Xbox 360's more direct approach was "refreshing." Carmack also praised Microsoft's development environment as easily the best of any of the consoles, thanks to the company's background as a software provider.

Carmack was less pleased with the PowerPC processors for the new consoles, questioning the choice of an in-order CPU architecture. He estimated the console CPUs' performance at about 50% that of a modern x86 processor and expressed skepticism about the returns of multi-core designs and multithreaded software, especially in the short term. Graphics accelerators are a great example of parallelism working well, he noted, but game code is not similarly parallelizable. Carmack cited his Quake III Arena engine, whose renderer was multithreaded and achieved up to 40% performance increases on multiprocessor systems, as a good example of where games would have to go. (Q3A's SMP mode was notoriously crash-prone and fragile, working only with certain graphics driver revisions and the like.) Initial returns on multithreading, he projected, will be disappointing.
Both quotes are in line with line with what I'm saying. Carmack stated that he likes the development tools for the XBox360. I don't have an argument with that. I never stated anything about development tools. No problem.

But wait, Carmack seems to agree with me that the PowerPC might not be the best choice. Well, where is your God now? He's agreeing with me. So now you've got God, Jesus and I can probably find the Holy Ghost all stating that the Xenon isn't going to be more powerful from an architecture standpoint.

/Yeah, I've got a first-class ticket to Hell in hand right now, but at least I'm right.

Torgo said:
Are you referring to the QuakeCon keynote or his comment on the PS3 vs. XBox360? I've got both quotes.

Both quotes are in line with line with what I'm saying. Carmack stated that he likes the development tools for the XBox360. I don't have an argument with that. I never stated anything about development tools. No problem.

But wait, Carmack seems to agree with me that the PowerPC might not be the best choice. Well, where is your God now? He's agreeing with me. So now you've got God, Jesus and I can probably find the Holy Ghost all stating that the Xenon isn't going to be more powerful from an architecture standpoint.

/Yeah, I've got a first-class ticket to Hell in hand right now, but at least I'm right.

Nock it off with the religious bits, it aint funny.

bonkrowave said:
If he is correct, then why are some of the biggest names marching with the XBOX banner, saying the XBOX360 is easier to program for, like Carmack, over the PC? I will take a tried and true developer. Over some PC anus !!!!!! reviewing the 360 with the sole reason of bashing it.

Yeah critics, are really not bais, and do not like to sensationalize things to credit there own buzz. /sarcasm

Devil's advocate here. Flip side, Gabe Newell is about as enthusiastic for consoles as I'd be about painting my room. Oh, and god forbid a PC fan post something from Anandtech or arstechicnica, the console !!!!!!s flip everything to oh it's just a bunch of developpers or the press bitching. :)

At the end of the day, no one can win. Best to close 'em all! :p

[Fate]Doom said:
Isnt it about time people start getting banned for this non-sense?

Is my rig better than an xbox 360?

No dude, your rig isnt better. In fact not even close.

Nothing else to see here folks move along. ;)

this man speaks the truth.

IceWind said:
Nock it off with the religious bits, it aint funny.

Agreed. Even if you aren't religious, you should have respect and courtesy for others. Or at least show some tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back