Is my RAM what's holding back my performance?

WildFireXXII

Limp Gawd
Specs in sig. I just feel like I'm getting held back. In games where I should easily do max (Like Lord of the Rings Online) I lag alot of the time gamewise, not server-wise. I've recently been thinking about upgrading to 2GB or 3GB. Would that give me a nice boost?

Specs in sig. I just feel like I'm getting held back. In games where I should easily do max (Like Lord of the Rings Online) I lag alot of the time gamewise, not server-wise. I've recently been thinking about upgrading to 2GB or 3GB. Would that give me a nice boost?

Another gig should give you a nice boost for gaming. RAM is soo fricken cheap now anyway why not do it?

Yeah I'm going too, I was just wondering how much of a boost it'd give and if it'd improve on those laggy areas.

Do you have 1x1gb stick or 2x512? Some people have problems with all 4 sticks is why I'm wondering. And if you have 1 stick, make sure to get the same brand / speed / specs so you can run it in dual channel mode.

Yeah I'm going too, I was just wondering how much of a boost it'd give and if it'd improve on those laggy areas.

Keep in mind that Bree-town is always laggy. Always. It's a server thing.

I've honestly never played Lord of the Rings Online with anything less than 2 GB of RAM, so I can't say what it will do for you. But I can say that it will improve things, and you should easily notice the difference.

I have 2x512.

And Bree-Land isn't the only problem. Even outside of Archet or whatever it's called gets real laggy.

if its the only game it's doing it in, then it's probably not going to be fixed with more ram.

Maybe a setting is off somewhere. Not sure. I didn't see that much of a diff in xp with 3 or 4 gigs of ram. Vista is a different story but for application purposes.

sorry, just reread ur sig.

Buy the ram. 1g is too little nowadays. But just buy an additional gig if you already have a single stick of ram.

edit, I should of read everythig. sell the 2 sticks if you can and see if you can buy a 2 sticks (1g x 2)package for an all around compatible soulution

I agree with selling the 2x512mb sticks. Getting 2x1gb sticks of DDR2 is so cheap now... around $100

All modern games NEED 2Gb+ for a medium to high end PC, I think the next gen games is going to start pushing gamers to require more RAM, I'm already seeing the benefits of a 4Gb RAM build PC with 64bit Vista.

*edit*

Also RAM is a very volatile market and the price changes practically weekly, right now it's insanely cheap, I bought my second 2Gb PC2 667Mhz kit from www.crucial.com/uk and it cost about £50, at christmas half a year ago it was about £180 for the same 2Gb

Back