Is my RAM what's holding back my performance?

WildFireXXII

Limp Gawd
Specs in sig. I just feel like I'm getting held back. In games where I should easily do max (Like Lord of the Rings Online) I lag alot of the time gamewise, not server-wise. I've recently been thinking about upgrading to 2GB or 3GB. Would that give me a nice boost?

stryder2720

Supreme [H]ardness
Specs in sig. I just feel like I'm getting held back. In games where I should easily do max (Like Lord of the Rings Online) I lag alot of the time gamewise, not server-wise. I've recently been thinking about upgrading to 2GB or 3GB. Would that give me a nice boost?

Another gig should give you a nice boost for gaming. RAM is soo fricken cheap now anyway why not do it?

WildFireXXII

Limp Gawd
Yeah I'm going too, I was just wondering how much of a boost it'd give and if it'd improve on those laggy areas.

jmackay

2[H]4U
Do you have 1x1gb stick or 2x512? Some people have problems with all 4 sticks is why I'm wondering. And if you have 1 stick, make sure to get the same brand / speed / specs so you can run it in dual channel mode.

HaMMerHeD

[H]F Junkie
Yeah I'm going too, I was just wondering how much of a boost it'd give and if it'd improve on those laggy areas.

Keep in mind that Bree-town is always laggy. Always. It's a server thing.

I've honestly never played Lord of the Rings Online with anything less than 2 GB of RAM, so I can't say what it will do for you. But I can say that it will improve things, and you should easily notice the difference.

WildFireXXII

Limp Gawd
I have 2x512.

And Bree-Land isn't the only problem. Even outside of Archet or whatever it's called gets real laggy.

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
if its the only game it's doing it in, then it's probably not going to be fixed with more ram.

Maybe a setting is off somewhere. Not sure. I didn't see that much of a diff in xp with 3 or 4 gigs of ram. Vista is a different story but for application purposes.

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
sorry, just reread ur sig.

Buy the ram. 1g is too little nowadays. But just buy an additional gig if you already have a single stick of ram.

edit, I should of read everythig. sell the 2 sticks if you can and see if you can buy a 2 sticks (1g x 2)package for an all around compatible soulution

Geo Fry

Limp Gawd
I agree with selling the 2x512mb sticks. Getting 2x1gb sticks of DDR2 is so cheap now... around $100

Frosteh

2[H]4U
All modern games NEED 2Gb+ for a medium to high end PC, I think the next gen games is going to start pushing gamers to require more RAM, I'm already seeing the benefits of a 4Gb RAM build PC with 64bit Vista.

*edit*

Also RAM is a very volatile market and the price changes practically weekly, right now it's insanely cheap, I bought my second 2Gb PC2 667Mhz kit from www.crucial.com/uk and it cost about £50, at christmas half a year ago it was about £180 for the same 2Gb