Is my Q6600 too hot? Speedfan readings

here is mine @ stock

untitled-1.jpg

q6600 run just too hot !! I'm giving up on mine and downgrading to a dual core or single core.
Multitasking is great but the chip just gets TOO hot, its like a heater in my room :(.

q6600 run just too hot !! I'm giving up on mine and downgrading to a dual core or single core.
Multitasking is great but the chip just gets TOO hot, its like a heater in my room :(.
You don't need to downgrade. Invest some money into a good CPU cooler. That's all.

You should be looking at the Core 0-3 listings for your actual core temperatures. However, I recommend you use Real Temp to monitor your temperatures. Either way, everything is well within safe levels.

These are temps at a slight overclock to 3.0 Ghz... I'm using an Artic Freezer 7 CPU heatsink/fan/

That cooler isn't that horrid but its' not great either. Something like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme would do FAR better at keeping the quad core cool.

That cooler isn't that horrid but its' not great either. Something like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme would do FAR better at keeping the quad core cool.

If those temps are accurate, it looks like it's doing fine.

So what does the "Core" Reading of 58 C mean?

All the individual Cores 0-3 are 27C but that one is 58C...

27C's on all cores are awesome..how is that TOO HOT? lol..wow...and i don't get it when ppl says they use their CPU's as a heater, you can barely feel the heat..lol

Thanks for the help guys!

You really need to get Real Temp or Core Temp. Those temps shown in Speedfan are great, but they may not be accurate. Real Temp or Core Temp will show you an accurate reading, they may be different or they may be the same, but they'll be accurate.

If 58C is your distance to Tjunction max, then your core temps are likely closer to 40C.

You really need to get Real Temp or Core Temp. Those temps shown in Speedfan are great, but they may not be accurate. Real Temp or Core Temp will show you an accurate reading, they may be different or they may be the same, but they'll be accurate.

If 58C is your distance to Tjunction max, then your core temps are likely closer to 40C.

Thanks I'm going to DL those when I get home and see what #s i get then! Thanks!

here is mine, i am only oc'd to 2.8, this is why we dont put alot of thermal paste on lol, now i have to redo my heatsink install i thought i had a tad too much but i figured i would wait and see, and yep its too much :p, also its hot in the house right now so that doesnt help.
temp.jpg

Here's my Core Temp findings... Why do they differ so much from the Speedfan ones? Which are more accurate?

coretemps-1.jpg

Even if both were inaccurate, the Speedfan temps will be more inaccurate. It's one of the many constants of the universe. The temps in Core Temp are probably accurate though, within 5*C.

Notice the difference in the temps of the cores in Core Temp and compare that to the temps in Speedfan, which are all the same. Speedfan is likely not even reading the temperatures correctly.

Core Temp is definitely reporting the temps more accurately. The only possible inaccuracy would be the actual Tjmax, since the official value is unknown for your CPU. However, the temps that it's giving you are as accurate as you can possibly get right now.

coretempscrzk7.png

Temps using a Q6600 and a Freezer Pro 7

Those are decent, but idle temps don't really matter. Load temps are what you want to watch. Plus you have Speedstep enabled so your CPU is only running at 1.6Ghz in that pic.

:eek: your vid... I want that...

His VID went down from what it normally is because he has Speedstep (or C1E) enabled in his BIOS, which lowers the multiplier (and VID I think) when the CPU is idle.

This is my idle temps.

Idle temps don't really matter (you need to watch your load temps), but your idle temps are really high. I'd be scared to see what your load temps are.

His VID went down from what it normally is because he has Speedstep (or C1E) enabled in his BIOS, which lowers the multiplier (and VID I think) when the CPU is idle.

Idle temps don't really matter (you need to watch your load temps), but your idle temps are really high. I'd be scared to see what your load temps are.

For 3.4GHz those are actually really good temps. My Q6600 a 3.0 with a AC Freezer 7 runs about 45-50C at idle and only gets up to 65c under load. My Q9550 @ 2.83 runs at 40-45c idle and hits almost 60'c under full load with a Xigmatek S1283.

These are my load temps. It goes up and down from 68-73C, 75C is the highest it would go but only for a quick second.

I also live in the valleys in Southern CA, so temps right now are around 75F.

These are my load temps. It goes up and down from 68-73C, 75C is the highest it would go but only for a quick second.

I also live in the valleys in Southern CA, so temps right now are around 80F.

75'C would be pushing it for me. But it's still 20C to TJmax, so you'd supposedly okay.

For 3.4GHz those are actually really good temps. My Q6600 a 3.0 with a AC Freezer 7 runs about 45-50C at idle and only gets up to 65c under load. My Q9550 @ 2.83 runs at 40-45c idle and hits almost 60'c under full load with a Xigmatek S1283.

My Q9550 @ 3.774Ghz runs at 38-42*C idle, and hits 58*C under full load, also with a Xigmatek S1283. I'd say you could improve as well.

EDIT: I just realized he's using a S1283 as well, and his ambient temp is around 75*F. Something isn't adding up. Jhego, did you get the bolt-through kit for the Xigmatek, or are you using the push-pins? What TIM did you use and how did you apply it?

They may be good for that cooler, but they could be improved.

My Q9550 @ 3.774Ghz runs at 38-42*C idle, and hits 58*C under full load, also with a Xigmatek S1283. I'd say you could improve as well.

I'm not that worried about it. It's not turning my living room into a furnace and it's not detrimental to the hardware.

EDIT: I just realized he's using a S1283 as well, and his ambient temp is around 75*F. Something isn't adding up. Jhego, did you get the bolt-through kit for the Xigmatek, or are you using the push-pins? What TIM did you use and how did you apply it?

I bought the bolt through kit and im using the tim that came with, i applied it as directed, spread it across the CPU.

I bought the bolt through kit and im using the tim that came with, i applied it as directed, spread it across the CPU.

You may have used too much compound, then. This is the method I used to apply with my Xigmatek. If you decide to reseat the cooler, consider this method when deciding how to reapply the TIM. It worked well for me.

You may have used too much compound, then. This is the method I used to apply with my Xigmatek. If you decide to reseat the cooler, consider this method when deciding how to reapply the TIM. It worked well for me.

I must've applied a lot. I guess i'll try the 2 half line method (the very last 2 pictures). Oh man, that means that i'm gonna have to disconnect everything, including the mobo since the Xig is too big that it tucks underneath the Antec case:(.

Back