Is my PSU too old for a newer high end PC?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi all,
I'm going to build a new Alder Lake system with an high end GPU.

Is my Corsair AX860i PSU too old for a new system considering that i'm using it in my current system since 5 years?

Should I replace it for something better?

Considering Intel's recent architectures being heat and power monsters, it'd probably be a good idea to get a new PSU. Your existing PSU might be fine in normal to moderate loads, but may fail under peak loads.

My PSU is a lot older than yours (from 2007-2008 or so) and powers my 5900X just fine. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a new CPU and motherboard. While the new Intel CPUs do use a lot of power, the overclocked 5930k that you are already running is a power hog also... Alder Lake is supposed to be released with higher-end chips coming with 125W or 165W TDP. The 5930k is a 140W TDP chip, and that is before overclocking, whereas Alder Lake is unlikely to have much overclocking headroom as it's boost clocks are almost certainly already going to be pushing the limits of the chip. It's entirely possible that an Alder Lake CPU would actually use less power than your overclocked 5930k. My overclocked 5820k is more power hungry than my AMD 5900X despite the disparity in core count.

My PSU is a lot older than yours (from 2007-2008 or so) and powers my 5900X just fine. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a new CPU and motherboard. While the new Intel CPUs do use a lot of power, the overclocked 5930k that you are already running is a power hog also... Alder Lake is supposed to be released with higher-end chips coming with 125W or 165W TDP. The 5930k is a 140W TDP chip, and that is before overclocking, whereas Alder Lake is unlikely to have much overclocking headroom as it's boost clocks are almost certainly already going to be pushing the limits of the chip. It's entirely possible that an Alder Lake CPU would actually use less power than your overclocked 5930k. My overclocked 5820k is more power hungry than my AMD 5900X despite the disparity in core count.
Ok thank you.
The real problem is I don't want a new PSU.
I just love my AX860i and all its digital features.

So if it works well, I'm happy to continue to use it

It will be fine.
I'm using my AX750 with my 3090 build machine, been working great for approaching a year.
Keep an eye out for voltage dropping more than 0.3V under load, thats a sign the caps are on the way out.

AS long as you aren't going to push it near it's limits you're probably fine. 5 years is borderline for me personally. I may use it if I know the power supply has had an easy life and the build it's going into is mostly for desktop work, etc.

I want to do other 5 o 6 years with the next build.
the PSU have 5 years already .
Is 10 or 12 years too much for a good PSU?

If yes, what is a good alternative to the AX860i?
I like the digital connection to the PC and AX series seems to be out of stock everywhere.

I like the digital connection to the PC and AX series seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Many newer high end PSU’s come with 10+ year warranties. So that gives you an idea of what the manufacturers think.

For a decent build PSU, no, 10 or 12 years is not too much.
My AX750 is 10yrs old and handles my 3090 no problem.
You can have bad luck with capacitor quality so it wont last as long as hoped, but if you buy a good quality unit the chance is good.
I bought a Seasonic Prime UIltra Titanium a few years ago, they come with a 10yr warranty so its certainly possible to last longer.
The key to maximising lifespan is keep it clean and cool.

I'm sure the reason why they don't offer that anymore is because the -i units didn't turn out to be very popular. The additional cost for very little actual benefit (monitoring didn't really matter as most enthusiasts tend to oversize their PSUs, and mainstream didn't care) and being made by Flextronics (enthusiasts prefer Seasonic for the most part) are what I speculate to have doomed the line.

You should be fine with that PSU. It came with a 7 year warranty when it first came out, and should last well beyond that.

Back