Is my new RTX 3080 or AMD 5950X dying?

Still no reply from MSI support email or phone calls. :(

I was able to get a AMD 5900 XT and a RTX 3060 test with. We'll see what happens over the weekend.

Bah. My EVGA 3090 died yesterday. Was playing GTA5 and everything just went blank and the card fans revv'd up to 100%. On reboot I get the lovely "VGA Error" light on my motherboard. Have tried everything under the sun to make things boot with no luck. Tossed my wife's 2060 in my system and everything boots up fine. Looks like EVGA requires some hoop jumping before an RMA request so hopefully the process is quick. UGH.

EDIT: They actually ARE pretty quick. Submitted my initial "support question" on Sunday night. Gave a very detailed explanation of all the things I'd tried. They gave me RMA instructions already on mid-day Monday. With some luck I'll have this thing in the mail tomorrow and a new card by next week.

Last edited:
Tanquen Are you using the latest firmware for your TV?
Same firmware from the beginning. No issues for a month or so. I can find nothing that changed setting or update or driver or firmware wise.
Bah. My EVGA 3090 died yesterday. Was playing GTA5 and everything just went blank and the card fans revv'd up to 100%. On reboot I get the lovely "VGA Error" light on my motherboard. Have tried everything under the sun to make things boot with no luck. Tossed my wife's 2060 in my system and everything boots up fine. Looks like EVGA requires some hoop jumping before an RMA request so hopefully the process is quick. UGH.

EDIT: They actually ARE pretty quick. Submitted my initial "support question" on Sunday night. Gave a very detailed explanation of all the things I'd tried. They gave me RMA instructions already on mid-day Monday. With some luck I'll have this thing in the mail tomorrow and a new card by next week.
Not that I really had a choice at the time but not sure who has the best support but I've still had no reply from MSI support email or phone calls. :(

That sucks they will not ship you the replacement first. In my case I'm sure they would get my card and say all is well and send it back. At least yours is dead. :)

The test cards just came in today, going to start with the RTX 3060 and see if it still has the issue. Again the HDMI 2.0 Vega 64 has no issue at 4k 60Hz or 1080p-120Hz while the RTX 3080 always has the issue. Even if I lower the res and frame rate it just happens a little less often. If the RTX 3060 is the same, I'll try the RX6900XT.
1618280826250.png

The RTX 3060 had the same issue and what was the TV in the middle of doing tonight? Updating the flippin' firmware. The TV is set to auto update and a firmware that has been out for a bit installed after I powered the TV off and it worked. Now I have 2 cards to sell. :(

The RTX 3060 had the same issue and what was the TV in the middle of doing tonight? Updating the flippin' firmware. The TV is set to auto update and a firmware that has been out for a bit installed after I powered the TV off and it worked. Now I have 2 cards to sell. :(
Haha, selling those will be incredibly easy.

The initial contact from EVGA was super quick, but I'm still waiting for the final RMA approval (and a shipping label, I'd assume). I figure as long as this thing is in the mail before Thursday, I'm still pretty happy with them. That's on par with Sony and Microsoft console RMA's, which are my gold standard.

Haha, selling those will be incredibly easy.
I hope so, just going to try and break even but it's an uncomfortable amount of money to sell online or through craigslist and the unopened 6900xt has no return option at Newegg but the opened RTX 3060 did :(
The initial contact from EVGA was super quick, but I'm still waiting for the final RMA approval (and a shipping label, I'd assume). I figure as long as this thing is in the mail before Thursday, I'm still pretty happy with them. That's on par with Sony and Microsoft console RMA's, which are my gold standard.
That is the easy part. Hopefully they just take it and ship out a new one same day. I miss the good old days when some companies would change your CC and ship the replacement to you first.

Just
I hope so, just going to try and break even but it's an uncomfortable amount of money to sell online or through craigslist and the unopened 6900xt has no return option at Newegg but the opened RTX 3060 did :(

That is the easy part. Hopefully they just take it and ship out a new one same day. I miss the good old days when some companies would change your CC and ship the replacement to you first.
You know what solved all of my problems? Sidegrading (as there's nothing "better" as far as I can see) to C1. Same pc and none of the problems I previously experienced.

?? C'mon man look at ebay, you're easily going to make a nice profit.

If you're just looking to move hardware quickly/easily, I still use Craigslist. Probably 1/2 of the things I've sold are gone the same day and people tend to be less sketchy in a face-to-face scenario, too.

?? C'mon man look at ebay, you're easily going to make a nice profit.
Well you have to up the price a bit just to break even on eBay, after you pay eBay and PayPal and shipping and insurance.
If you're just looking to move hardware quickly/easily, I still use Craigslist. Probably 1/2 of the things I've sold are gone the same day and people tend to be less sketchy in a face-to-face scenario, too.
What about payment? I sold my used AMD 5600x here on the site with PayPal. I did not make them do the friends a family and was worried for a bit after.

Last edited:
>_>

<_<

^_^

Well you have to up the price a bit just to break even on eBay, after you pay eBay and PayPal and shipping and insurance.

What about payment? I sold my used AMD 5600x here on the site with PayPal. I did not make them do the friends a family and was worried for a bit after.
6900xt is going for $1700+, I'd say you will easily clear insurance and fees.

On Craigslist I usually just specify that I want cash/PayPal/Venmo/etc. in the ad. Depending on what it is (or how "used" it is), sometimes people want to see it in action. In those instances, I'll have them come to my house and see whatever I'm selling running. With video cards I usually run a benchmark or FPS test of some sort.
Since COVID I've been doing porch pick-ups instead. I sold my PS4 and PSVR like that. They transfer the $ via PayPal and I have everything waiting on my porch. In one case the guy left cash under one of my flower pots. Simple as that. Use "friend and family" so there are no additional fees. Right now I've seen a major uptick in people wanting something right now, and Craiglist can't be beat for that. My last 3 sales have completed in a single day, money in hand. You can't beat that.

On an unrelated note, my dead 3090 is now in the mail on the way to EVGA. The whole process only took 48-hours. There is one big ass caveat, though: they make you pay to ship your card back. You're looking at $50-100 unless Brea, CA. is down the street from you. That kinda sucks.

Last edited:
6900xt is going for $1700+, I'd say you will easily clear insurance and fees.
Then you also get to worry about charge backs and folks that want to return stuff. The cost was $1551.57 and then shipping and eBay takes their cut and so on.

Then you also get to worry about charge backs and folks that want to return stuff. The cost was $1551.57 and then shipping and eBay takes their cut and so on.
Ouch, I thought that card's msrp was ~1K. Guess they bumped the price quite a bit.

With the tariffs and market conditions the Nvidia and AMD partners have been upping the MSRP. Still better that eBay if you can get one but not the deal it was end of the year. All the 6900xt cars start at $1400-ish. You need to get the AMD one but it is even harder to get. It is nuts. Top of the line card should be $500 max but too many folks out there that will buy a RTX 3090 for 2x the MSRP of the 3080 for maybe a 10% bump in FPS.

Back