Is my new RTX 3080 or AMD 5950X dying?

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been having a number of issues with the new system over the last few months. A number of motherboard BIOS fixing some things but not others. After being out of town for 4 weeks this is the first weekend I've connected the system to my LG C9 and I can't get rid of desktop or icons flickering. It's odd if file explorer is full screen it looks okay but I guess the graphics are simpler but if I have just the desktop or my steam library open there's flashing.

I tried going back to a Windows restore point but it was just last weekend. I tried upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers but I've never seen this behavior before so it shouldn't be the driver. I had upgraded to the latest motherboard BIOS but I reverted back to some older ones and left the memory and everything at stock and it didn't change anything.

I've been doing office work the last week with my regular LCD displays and I didn't see anything but I have noticed lots of pausing when I try to shut down the machine or use file explorer to open a drive sometimes it'll just sit there and the app may even say it's not responding.

I'm starting to wonder if I have one of those dying 5950s. :(

Here's a video if the link works.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ru62g5sgBD3g7tpa9

Looks like they lowered the frame rate so you can't see it on the video. :(

Here is a pic of it in mid flash:
1613832569720.png

Last edited:
A dying CPU wouldn't cause that. Have you checked your refresh rate for your monitor? When I've seen stuff like this its been refresh rate related.

I had that issue a few weeks ago with my 1080ti which happened to be a nvidia driver issue.
I thought my GPU, cable, or monitor was flaking out on me. It was really prominent after a reboot and mostly went away after the system had been used for a bit.
Nvidia fixed the issue with a driver update.

Maybe try going to older nvidia drivers to see if anything changes.

Reboot, see if it flickers, if it does, play a game, exit game and see if the desktop still flickers.
It could be a power state problem with the driver and the card.

It only happens on the LG 77C9 and never did before.

I had a 5600x and it never did this. The 5950x did not until today.

I also now get 4 fast beeps on power up and the a pause and one more. I think that is the code for the real time clock?

If I lower the res to 1920x1080 and or the refresh rate to 60 or 30 it still happens.

I also see fun stuff like this:
1613809620592.png

I've seen it bounce upto 12000 MHz and that don't seem right.

Is also slow to shut down with nothing running after a reboot.

Now the WD drive dashboard app is not opening and or it takes several minutes.

Last edited:
Known good as it worked in the past, shorter cable now also has the same issue. I think something in the card changed or maybe Windows or maybe the TV. jiJJFw2mN0VORyoWmh2DvD4HC5F4I5cAo-zcRoTWK_nf5-9MsL.png

I think it's the card as I was able to boot from my old hard drive from a few weeks before I left and it's all the same.

Do you have another card to test? Also worth swapping out the cable and/or plug into different port on the card to check.

Do you have another card to test? Also worth swapping out the cable and/or plug into different port on the card to check.
Only one HDMI port and I don't have another 3080 or motherboard or 5950 to test. Yeah, no easy way to test another 4k-120Hz card or AMD mother board or 5950x. I did say I tried another short known good cable and its the same. :(

I think it's the card as I was able to boot from my old hard drive from a few weeks before I left and it's all the same. So that is before the new hard drive and before the last few Windows updates.

Also tried setting the PCI to Gen3 and moved the 3080 to the other PCI slot. No change.

All I know is it all worked for a few months until yesterday. EeK2FQVh3Ae7YoVg0RdQ.png

Still like to know what is up with the beeps.

Maybe this? Makes me think there are a number of iffy cards out there and folks don't know they are bad or going bad.

forums.evga.com/BIOS-Beeping-45-times-after-3080-FTW3-Ultra-Install-Fix-m3104577.aspx

I would check the power supply. If you think its the video card itself have you tried to roll back to an older set of drivers?

I would check the power supply. If you think its the video card itself have you tried to roll back to an older set of drivers?
The AX1500i has bee a rock for many years. Seems odd to cause this after a few months. I could try another one from a old build but it's such a pain to do. I'm not sure I have the 3 PCI power connections and the two(?) for the motherboard on an old PSU. Also, the flashing is there right away and with nothing running, just setting at the desktop.

"I tried upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers" Was using ones that had worked fine from the the time I set up the new system.

"I think it's the card as I was able to boot from my old hard drive from a few weeks before I left and it's all the same." Again, drivers and OS as they were when I had never seen this issue.

I was wondering what his personal weather station had to do with anything????

It does sound like his GPU if he tried different cables and drivers.

Did you try a different monitor?
I don't see this on the the two LCDs desktop displays but they are DisplayPort and 2560x1600 at 60Hz. The LG 77C9 is the only 4k 120Hz HDMI display I have and it still has the issue when I lower the res and refresh rate.

Last edited:
The AX1500i has bee a rock for many years. Seems odd to cause this after a few months. I could try another one from a old build but it's such a pain to do. I'm not sure I have the 3 PCI power connections and the two(?) for the motherboard on an old PSU. Also, the flashing is there right away and with nothing running, just setting at the desktop.

"I tried upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers" Was using ones that had worked fine from the the time I set up the new system.

"I think it's the card as I was able to boot from my old hard drive from a few weeks before I left and it's all the same." Again, drivers and OS as they were when I had never seen this issue.
The AX1500i has been known to just spontaneously die. The way you describe your issues make it sound like it might be a power issue.
I don't see this on the the two LCDs desktop displays but that are DisplayPort and 2560x1600 at 60Hz. The LG 77C9 is the only 4k 120Hz HDMI display I have and it still has the issue when I lower the res and refresh rate.
If the issue is only happening with the OLED then it could simply be an issue with the HDMI output on the video card or the cable you're using. Is the cable you're using to connect to the TV certified as a "High Speed" cable?

The AX1500i has been known to just spontaneously die. The way you describe your issues make it sound like it might be a power issue.

If the issue is only happening with the OLED then it could simply be an issue with the HDMI output on the video card or the cable you're using. Is the cable you're using to connect to the TV certified as a "High Speed" cable?
"The way you describe your issues make it sound like it might be a power issue."
Not to me. All these years and (for me) it has never been the PSU or having not used some driver cleaner app.

Any PSU can die but to cause a redraw issue, only on the HDMI port, at desktop with no app or game running on a clean Windows install???

I guess I can just put the card in the old setup and see... oh wait the flippin' thing will not fit. I really hate the new giant cards. :( Good thing I did not water cool it yet.

" "I did say I tried another short known good cable and its the same." " Everything worked for months until Saturday. :(

Last edited:
I don't see this on the the two LCDs desktop displays but they are DisplayPort and 2560x1600 at 60Hz. The LG 77C9 is the only 4k 120Hz HDMI display I have and it still has the issue when I lower the res and refresh rate.
It only happens with that particular display? If you have tried everything else then I'm leaning towards its the display.

As a fellow owner of C9 which was used as monitor since day 1 I may be able to give you my experience as I think it may be display itself (or AMD x570 platform + c9 but it is very doubtful) that is causing your problems (mine started after around 8 months of use). Never saw anything like that reported but I get flashes at least once every few hours or so (on desktop mind you, never saw that in-game) with odd ghostly things persisting for few milliseconds on desktop (I have dark mode/black background an no icons on desktop). Since I still have plenty of warranty left I did not bother with warranty claim as it is very intermittent and I am 100% sure it will be hard to prove/detect. I think it was the same on intel system (not sure as I upgraded as soon as 5900x was available and it started around that time but I honestly do not remember if I had same flashes on intel platform so it *may* be related) but it most definetely persisted through 3 different video cards (mine/friends).

Oh on another note, if you enabled g-sync (as you should) you should try to disable it and see if that makes any difference (had to force fixed refresh rate for few desktop apps through nvidia panel).

Edit: Other monitors also work fine on same system. Cables do not make any difference (have quite a few of those).

Last edited:
I don't know the cause but it's a total pain in the butt. I had two different hard drive installations of Windows 10 that didn't matter, two different sets of RAM that didn't matter a 5600X and a 5950X and nothing changed until all the sudden last weekend. Being able to go back to the old hard drive I don't think it's software. It could be a BIOS setting I messed with and don't recall but I've tried installing old A few different old BIOS for the motherboard and that changes all the settings to default. I've moved the card to different slots and disabled Gen 4 PCI Express and tried different cables different ports on the TV and nothing seemed to make a difference.

When I moved the cable to a different port on the TV the issue went away. It turned out that the other port was set to default and the port I had been using was set to PC mode. When I set the other port to PC mode the issue came back. So what the heck is it? Why does disabling PC mode and enabling extra processing in the LG TV get rid of the issue? Did something in the PC hardware change and the signal is tweaked in a subtle way that the TV doesn't like or did something in the TV physically change? It's had the same firmware since before I got this set up. Everything worked for months until last weekend. Then digging around in the audio video science forum LGC9 thread and posting there someone mentioned that the flashing is a known issue with Nvidia cards and the C9 but I'm wondering if it's really just an issue with some of the video cards failing or having iffy HDMI ports in some way. The folks in that forum had found that disabling quick start plus and live plus under the general and then additional settings lessons the frequencies of the flashing or gets rid of it. I tried it and it worked but what changed after several months? I also wonder if disabling those settings disables PC mode on the TV. It's too difficult to get my hands on another RTX 3080 or another OLED TV with 4K 120 hz.

I'm also not sure if everybody has the same kind of flashing or flickering. A number of people mention red flashing and mine does seem to do that but it's chunks of the image redrawn in the wrong place with like a red hue and mine is constant with the default settings that I hadn't changed in months. It also does it immediately on the desktop and in games.

I don't know the cause but it's a total pain in the butt. I had two different hard drive installations of Windows 10 that didn't matter, two different sets of RAM that didn't matter a 5600X and a 5950X and nothing changed until all the sudden last weekend. Being able to go back to the old hard drive I don't think it's software. It could be a BIOS setting I messed with and don't recall but I've tried installing old A few different old BIOS for the motherboard and that changes all the settings to default. I've moved the card to different slots and disabled Gen 4 PCI Express and tried different cables different ports on the TV and nothing seemed to make a difference.

When I moved the cable to a different port on the TV the issue went away. It turned out that the other port was set to default and the port I had been using was set to PC mode. When I set the other port to PC mode the issue came back. So what the heck is it? Why does disabling PC mode and enabling extra processing in the LG TV get rid of the issue? Did something in the PC hardware change and the signal is tweaked in a subtle way that the TV doesn't like or did something in the TV physically change? It's had the same firmware since before I got this set up. Everything worked for months until last weekend. Then digging around in the audio video science forum LGC9 thread and posting there someone mentioned that the flashing is a known issue with Nvidia cards and the C9 but I'm wondering if it's really just an issue with some of the video cards failing or having iffy HDMI ports in some way. The folks in that forum had found that disabling quick start plus and live plus under the general and then additional settings lessons the frequencies of the flashing or gets rid of it. I tried it and it worked but what changed after several months? I also wonder if disabling those settings disables PC mode on the TV. It's too difficult to get my hands on another RTX 3080 or another OLED TV with 4K 120 hz.

I'm also not sure if everybody has the same kind of flashing or flickering. A number of people mention red flashing and mine does seem to do that but it's chunks of the image redrawn in the wrong place with like a red hue and mine is constant with the default settings that I hadn't changed in months. It also does it immediately on the desktop and in games.
Like I said – I had the same flashing (which started abruptly after 8 months) issue with 1080 ti, AMD rx 6800 and now with nvidia 3070 so I highly doubt its video card issue (but I cant reject x570 causing this as I honestly do not remember if I had same flashing with intel; did flashing start after you changed to x570 motherboard?). Will try to disable quick start and see if flashing stops. As far as changing to different HDMI port and disabling PC mode it is not first time I heard about doing that to circumvent some problems (as C9 is first and foremost a tv).

Last edited:
Well you had said you never seen it in game and I definitely see it in game and the desktop. And it's pretty aggressive when I'm set at 4K 120 hz like every second or two.

I did get the RTX 3080 after the motherboard and CPU and the old Intel CPU and AMD GPU never did this.
The old AMD GPU with the new motherboard and 5600x CPU never did this.
The new Nvidia 3080 GPU with the new motherboard and 5600x CPU never did this..
The new Nvidia 3080 GPU with the new motherboard and different RAM and 5600x CPU never did this.
The new Nvidia 3080 GPU with the new motherboard and different RAM and 5950x CPU never did this... Until Saturday.

So mine also started later.

I could move the old AMD GPU back into the new system and see but it is HDMI 2.0 and 4k-120Hz shows the issue more than lower res and rates. And I'd like to try the 3080 in the old PC but I think it's too big to fit inside.

Turning off PC mode on the HDMI port is like flipping a switch and it's gone. Did not try it that long.

Disabling Live Plus again is like flipping a switch and it's gone but I have seen it a few times after. And the way a lot of this stuff works it seems like you mess with a different setting and it's really doing the same thing is turning off PC mode would be doing. I see no reason why messing with live plus would affect anything and if it's the TV why did it take like 3 months for this to happen? It's so odd.

I hooked up my old setup with an AMD Vega 64 to the LG C9 and it is only HDMI 2.0 but it has no issues with 4k at 60Hz or 2k at 60-120Hz.

I took all the old drives out of the new build with just the one NVMe drive and installed Windows 10 with just the LG C9 connected and there were some flashes during the first boot into Windows and right away at the desk top. I did not see any on the BIOS like install screens.

The old system has an older 1200w PSU and only two 8 pin PCIe connections. I may get a 6 to 8 pin adapter for the third connection. Should be good enough to boot to the desktop with the 3080 in the old system.

Either your power supply is flaky or your GPU isn't fully seated into the MB's PCIe slot.
"Any PSU can die but to cause a redraw issue, only on the HDMI port, at desktop with no app or game running on a clean Windows install???"
"Also tried setting the PCI to Gen3 and moved the 3080 to the other PCI slot. No change."

Pabaisa says the same happened to him after 8 months but I think he thinks its the TV.

My guess it that if I move the 3080 to the other system it will do the same but will it be because of the TV or 3080 failing in some way after many months?

Last edited:
I've seen many PSU failures, never have I seen one that would cause issues OP is describing.

Be systematic,

Check all connections, Replace Display cable be it HDMI or Display Port, re-seat all components, dust out PCIE & RAM Sockets, format and reload Windows, use the latest drivers for all of your hardware. Turn off 3rd party applications i.e Razer / Logitech mouse and keyboard software.

Also, I would assume and replace the Hard Drive before I assumed it was the CPU causing the issue.

I'm pretty confident I've narrowed it down to the two things that I cannot easily replace, I feel something has changed in the RTX 3080 or the LGC977. I got an six to eight pin power adapter so I should be able to try the RTX 3080 in my old setup but I'm guessing it's going to do the same thing. A lot of people are talking about issues with the C9 and the RTX 3000 cards but they seem to revolve around flashing and dark areas when using variable refresh rate. My issue is not that but possibly a variant. Though some seem to say they do have the same issue I do and also did not have it at first. I'm leaning towards the RTX 3080 because the existing graphics card in the old system while only HDMI 2.0 does not experience the issue on any of the settings available. The RTX 3080 has the issues with lower resolution and lower frame rates that the old video card in the old system is capable of.

A time to give Intel kudos for giving the user a iGPU in a highend setup for when it is needed for such situations.
Of course I am [H] so please don't waste my die space, but nonetheless, useful :D

I finally took some time this morning to move the RTX 3080 over to the old build and the problem is still there. So different motherboard, CPU, power supply, clean install Windows and it still does it. It's just frustrating to leave for 4 weeks to come back and have the TV and or card start doing this when it never did before. It's such a bummer. :(

And whoever okayed the bigger video cards that are too big for all my cases can take a long walk off a short pier. Had to take the drive cage out to get the dumb thing in.
1615659507848.png

1615659409210.png

1615659382469.png

I finally took some time this morning to move the RTX 3080 over to the old build and the problem is still there. So different motherboard, CPU, power supply, clean install Windows and it still does it. It's just frustrating to leave for 4 weeks to come back and have the TV and or card start doing this when it never did before. It's such a bummer. :(

And whoever okayed the bigger video cards that are too big for all my cases can take a long walk off a short pier. Had to take the drive cage out to get the dumb thing in.
View attachment 338561
View attachment 338560

View attachment 338559

*Edit, NM I see what you did.

Yeah, those old Lian Li's were great for their time, but they surpassed their usefulness when it comes to newer hardware. Looks like you got a 3080 lemon edition.

Last edited:
*Edit, NM I see what you did.

Yeah, those old Lian Li's were great for their time, but they surpassed their usefulness when it comes to newer hardware. Looks like you got a 3080 lemon edition.
"surpassed their usefulness" Not at all, just the videos cards are nuts now.

Back