is my neovo f-417 TN, IPS, MVA or none?

brocktor

n00b
I have a very old neovo, but i don't know what kind of lcd it is. I am buying a new one and i want to know so i don't get something like this terrible monitor again!

on the website i shop on www.novatech.co.uk they don't seem to tell you whether they are TN or MVA, so how do i know?

Last edited:
For off-brand and very old panels that don't cost much, it's safe to assume TN in 99% of cases.

But what exactly did you have a problem with? More people here will be able to give you proper recommendations based on what exactly you didn't like than they would making shots in the dark.

For off-brand and very old panels that don't cost much, it's safe to assume TN in 99% of cases.

But what exactly did you have a problem with? More people here will be able to give you proper recommendations based on what exactly you didn't like than they would making shots in the dark.

it just looks so bad compared to some new ones they have in university. the monitors in university look crisp, sharp and excellently contrasted colours. One major factor that makes them look better is the screen itself looks glossy like it's make of glass, whereas my screen looks plastic-y and bland. the colouring on my monitor looks less well contrasted and crisp.

I only use it for gaming but i would prefer to go for a IPS because 'ghosting' has never been a problem with any monitor i have had and i would prefer high quality colouring.

i want a wide screen. I don't know what size widescreen. my current monitor is 17 inch, if i went for a non-widescreen i would go for a 19 inch. the widescreen monitors look somehow smaller so i think i may need something bigger than a 19 inch.

I am also a budget pc enthusiast, so i would get a monitor at the lowest price possible that is of better quality than my current monitor.

16:9 displays are wider than 4:3 or 5:4 displays are but, they are not as tall. Screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner and not by height. That's why they look smaller.

At 17" on a 4:3 display, you would need a 21" 16:9 display for the screen to be as tall. If the 17" is a 5:4 display, you would need around a 21.5" 16:9 display. If you want to see how the different display sizes and their aspect ratios compare to one another, go here.

If you look in the vent holes in the back of your monitor, you may be able to see a label that has the panel ID/model number. You can enter that into a Google search and see if it comes up. I'm guessing it's probably a TN panel. You can easily see if it's a TN panel by lowering your viewing angle as far as possible. If the screen turns "photo negative" it's a TN panel. If it doesn't it's either a VA or an IPS panel but again, I doubt it's either of those given your complaints.

16:9 displays are wider than 4:3 or 5:4 displays are but, they are not as tall. Screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner and not by height. That's why they look smaller.

At 17" on a 4:3 display, you would need a 21" 16:9 display for the screen to be as tall. If the 17" is a 5:4 display, you would need around a 21.5" 16:9 display. If you want to see how the different display sizes and their aspect ratios compare to one another, go here.

If you look in the vent holes in the back of your monitor, you may be able to see a label that has the panel ID/model number. You can enter that into a Google search and see if it comes up. I'm guessing it's probably a TN panel. You can easily see if it's a TN panel by lowering your viewing angle as far as possible. If the screen turns "photo negative" it's a TN panel. If it doesn't it's either a VA or an IPS panel but again, I doubt it's either of those given your complaints.

thanks that is useful information. it is a gm678 but i can't find any info on this model. i did find this for the f-417 which says it is tn. however the panel does not go black and white like a photo negative from the side

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

Last edited:
thanks that is useful information. it is a gm678 but i can't find any info on this model. i did find this for the f-417 which says it is tn. however the panel does not go black and white like a photo negative from the side

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

TN panels won't go photo negative from the side nor the top. It only happens from a lowering your viewing angle. Here is an example:

I couldn't dig up anything on the panel but give that the viewing angles are 160/160, that should put it in TN panel territory. However, VA panels had 100/30 viewing angles at one point but that was likely back when TN panels had a much smaller viewing angle (60/15). I'm just not sure of the timeline for when the viewing angle specifications changed on the various panel types. Also keep in mind that the viewing angles are often exaggerated especially when it comes to TN panels. Given that your monitor is from 2006, it's likely a TN panel.

Back