Is my motherboard fried?

klatox

Weaksauce
Just installed an asrock z87e mini itx motherboard in my case. I didn't have the power switch installed correctly at first, and the system wouldn't power on. I fixed that and the system powered on, but I got no display (gpu). Ok, so I powered down, plugged into the integrated gpu, still no display. Took out my gpu entirely, still nothing. Rechecked all my cabling, machine powered on for a few seconds and then powered off by itself. Now it will not power on at all. I did the paper clip trick on the psu so I'm pretty sure it's ok. Any ideas?

Do you get a POST beep?

Is there any error codes being flashed or beeped?

Which CPU is installed? Which GPU?

I would clear CMOS then try again first.

Nope, no error codes or beeps of any kind (I plugged in the internal speaker). CPU is an i5-4570 and GPU is an MSI GTX 760 gaming (the new one). I have removed all components and right now I only have the motherboard cable, CPU cable, CPU fan, and power switch cable connected to the motherboard. I'll try clearing cmos and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you know the power supply is good, then your motherboard is probably bad if your not getting a POST beep. If you can, I'd try another power supply before going the route of return/rma though.

If your getting no post beep, I don't see how the system can be powering on though....there may be power to the motherboard, but if there is no POST beep, it won't be actually "powering on".

And what PSU are you using? I got that same board a few days ago and it was a breeze to setup. Only issue I had was I couldn't get any picture to show up with the Displayport but flashing to the latest BIOS fixed it.

And what PSU are you using? I got that same board a few days ago and it was a breeze to setup. Only issue I had was I couldn't get any picture to show up with the Displayport but flashing to the latest BIOS fixed it.

I'm using a silverstone st55f-g 550w psu

Makes sure the CPU and Ram are seated properly. Then try other ram. In my experience, no post situations tend to be ram first, mobo second.

Unfortunately I can't test the ram in another system as this is the only one I've got. Although I did pull out both sticks and tried powering up with no ram and also with 1 stick but that was a no go/ I just pulled the cmos battery and reseated, no dice there. I'll try reseating the CPU next.

Reseating the CPU didn't work either. Strangely, the bottom of the motherboard is warm...

One of the oldest tricks with MB's playing dead is to short the CMOS pins and then remove the battery for several hours (at least 3-4) overnight is best, then replace battery, then remove the jumper; its amazing how many dead boards have been revived with this method.

You do have both sets of leads from PSU to MB plugged in?

At this stage running the MB on your insulated desk is a good idea, no accidental case shorts and easy to run absolutely minimum components.

Did you measure the voltage of the PSU with a volt meter?

I didn't check the voltage. I did remove the CMOS battery and re-insert, but no dice. I shipped it out for RMA today. Thanks for your responses guys, really appreciate it!

One of the oldest tricks with MB's playing dead is to short the CMOS pins and then remove the battery for several hours (at least 3-4) overnight is best, then replace battery, then remove the jumper; its amazing how many dead boards have been revived with this method.

You do have both sets of leads from PSU to MB plugged in?

At this stage running the MB on your insulated desk is a good idea, no accidental case shorts and easy to run absolutely minimum components.

Did you measure the voltage of the PSU with a volt meter?

Normally wouldn't hijack a thread, but the original OP seems to be done with this one. I have a similar situation with the Classified system in my sig, son was playing a browser game on Xmas eve, the comp black screened and he rebooted it, then it did it again and never restarted. It appears to power up, but you never get the post beep now. The diagnostic display doesn't function either now. With the Classified you have a series of voltage test points along the edge of the board, they all test correct while it is running and I have tried 2 vid cards, as well as the reset cmos button. I just want to be sure it is dead, before I chunk the mobo/cpu. Easier and cheaper to replace it with current stuff rather than hunting down 1366 hardware anymore.

Back