is my MoBo dead?

pigdog2

n00b
my system is about 3-4 years old. Never had a problem until I go to turn it on and I get NOTHING. The mobo has an LED that shows if its hooked up to a PSU. Thats lit. I pulled the PS atx connector and used the paper clip to check the PS. It ran the cooling fans/pump runs. Its just when I connect it to the Mobo that nothing happens. I replaced the CMOS battery if that was it and it wasnt. Ive been going over all conections and cant find anything.
What else can I troubleshoot to check the MoBo???
Thanks

AMD 4000+
PCP&C 510 sli PSU
Corsair XMS XLpro 1024 ram
swiftech 120 3a watercool CPU
eVGA 6800GT ( just one ATM)
seagate 160gb SATA HD
Plextor 716SA DVD/R
ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe
Blue Cooler Master wavemaster

On something like this, I start eliminating variables.

I take out the motherboard from the case and set it on a non conductive surface (cardboard motherboard boxes work great here) with only CPU, memory, and video plugged in. I connect the power supply, monitor, and keyboard and try to turn on the system with shorting the pins. If it doesn't work, I take out a ram stick or start playing musical chairs with a ram stick and the memory slots. If you have any spare old hardware, I start cycling it in too (such as an older slower CPU, older ram, or older MB w/ current other components, etc.). Good luck...

Jason

OK I tried shorting the power pins and still nothing. I did take out vid card, memory, but still in the case. I'll try using older mem, and vid card. Just cant figure out how it can just stop working.
Thanks for the suggestions.

The main reason why I take it out of the case is that it is easier to swap components and it removes the possibility of a grounding issue with the case. Keep us updated on how everything turns out.
Jason

Well it was the power supply. Good thing it has a 5 year warranty. Thats for the tips.

Back