Is my Logitech subwoofer on its way out?

apav

Gawd
I have a Logitech Z523 2.1 speaker setup that has lasted me through the years with minimal issues. For the last few years though about once or twice a year the subwoofer would make noise when turned on and no audio is playing, though every time I was able to fix this by unplugging everything, blowing on it and replugging it in. This time though it has persisted for a few days and I can't fix it no matter what I do. These are the sounds it makes, a rumbling sound when I immediately turn it on and if I play with the bass knob, and a loud thud sound every time I turn the speakers off. Anyone know what this is indicative of and if it can be easily fixed somehow? I was looking to upgrade my speakers eventually, but was not looking to do it so soon as I just upgraded my GPU. Thanks!

Last edited:
Few tests:

Do the sound variables happen when no signal cables are plugged in to a pc/source?
Remove the power from any power strip and go direct to wall, change?
Move sub to different part of room/house in extreme off chance EMI is bothering it or dirty power.

If all of those don't change the noises you are getting, then yes I suspect it is dying. I have dealt with multiple Z systems where the amp died. My dad however has a z5300 system thats been going for probably a decade with daily use.

Try to fix, I don't know. Could always pull the amp out and look for bulging caps or anything burnt I guess. I never took the time, I would order replacement bash amps when required.

Back