Is my laptop using too many watts on battery?

GDut0n

Weaksauce
My battery life just didn't seem very good at all, and I know my batteries are all old, but I didn't think the battery life would be this short. As I was looking around, I saw a screen shot that showed the IBM power meter of a T42 (I think) and it showed it was using about 8 watts of power. On battery, mine shows it is using about 17-18 watts, with the screen pretty much all the way down, just listening to music and surfing the internet.

Here's a screen shot:
info.jpg

What do you think? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, my fan seems to come on for no reason, and my laptop heats up, even when I'm just browsing the web, no music on, maybe AIM open.

Oh, my laptop is an IBM T23 (2647-6KU) 13" screen, 384mb ram, 10gb hd blah blah blah.

I know the hard drive is not original and I'm thinking that maybe it is a bit old and using a lot of power possibly? Otherwise I have no idea.

The t42 is centrino, which uses way less power. Also your laptop is pretty old. Usually batteries are good for 2yrs and pretty much junk after that. It really depends on usage though. They are only good for so many charge cycles, but they also lose life over time if they just sit. You are not going to get super low wattage on a non p-m notebook. Honestly with your t23 i'm suprised you get an hour or so of battery still. At the age of your t23 most laptops would need a new battery for anything over 20min or so.

So that wattage is pretty normal for a PIII-M?

What about the heat "problem" ?

Also, the battery that I was using for that screen shot was manufactured in May of 2000 and first used in July 2000. It's capacity right now is 20.85mAh according to the information. So, I guess for a battery that old, it isn't too bad of battery life. I'll check my other two batteries.

Back