Is my Java old?

pinoy

Limp Gawd
I used Java in college ten years ago and not much since. Is Java SE7 so different from the second edition that I need to get a new book? Are the syntax totally different with lots of deprecated stuff?

SirMaster

2[H]4U
There is always deprecated stuff and new and improved libraries, but there are also some important new concepts you need to learn I you do not know them already.

One of the biggest examples is generics.

I don't think you need a book. There are plenty of online resources for java.

The libraries have changed quite a bit, but the language is pretty much the same. The only thing I'd call a major difference is generics. Aside from that, it's mostly just bells and whistles (like enums, varargs, for-each loops).

pinoy

Limp Gawd
So is it advisable to use my Java 2 book to refresh my mind or am I only setting myself up for confusion? I guess I can get a used book for $40.

Wiseguy2001

2[H]4U
Java 1.5 was quite a major change to the language (which you just missed): generics, autoboxing, annotations & semaphores spring to mind.

Yeah, buy a new book!

oplin

Gawd
I would buy a new book, as a couple newer classes came out since, but you should see them as depreciated, or suggestions in the javadoc to use the newer classes. I think Vector was one, and StringBuilder vs whatever the older one was, lots of other ones too.

I'd get a book they're cheap, just skim it over and look at the structure and classes and how generics work.