Is my i7 6700k throttling?

Mauler87

Weaksauce
G'day Lads,

I have owned my 6700k for around a year now and have started benching for extended periods.

But when in the 2k range in P95 I am noticing the ratio drops from 44 down to 36. My temps are acceptable (in the tropics) @ 85c on the highest core usually fluctuating back down to 80c. However I noticed that even with high vdroop on the MOBO @ 1.415v it is dropping down to 1.36 in hwinfo64, then on the 2k range it drops to 1.32.

I have not had too much experience with decent vdroop availability like the z170x has (and so it should have for the price!). Should I be setting the vdroop from high up to the next setting or just increasing the voltage?.

Increasing the voltage isn't preferred as obviously at idle it will be sitting right up there and I am OCD and hate the idea of the silicon degrading.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers.

If there is a mod here, can you please move this thread to the overclocking topic. I should have been wiser.

IDK to me 85c is above the limit where i lke to be....i like to at least keep it in the 70's

IDK to me 85c is above the limit where i lke to be....i like to at least keep it in the 70's

Yeah I don't like it either, that is with aircon on 18c, ambient sitting around 20.

I am considering re-seating and getting some scythe fans as these corsair SP120's are insanely loud and have gaps.

Its not temperature throttling, that begins at 100C. But it could be power throttling if its hitting the power limit there.

running the intel burn test, my i7-6700k capped out at ~60C (some fluctuation to 61 or 62 before it'd drop down). I thought that temp (60) was the throttle point?

Tjmax is 100C. Throttle at 60C got absolutely nothing to do with temperature.

Well I have made a decision at least. I am going to re-seat my cooler when my 2x thermaltake core x9's arrive. I have decided on going the EK vardar fans 120mm and 140mm as jayztwocents on youtube gave a pretty good review.

This way I can lower my temps while increasing my voltage/LLC to keep it from what appears to be throttling.

Unless thread is locked I will post back here when all is said and done.

You may look at increasing the power limit. You could be limited to only drawing 95W

Power limit is more likely, you shouldn't be needing that high of voltage for 4.4Ghz. Mine is 1.3v for 4.6.

If your motherboard supports vrm protection it could be throttling your cpu as well.

I wish I was at home right now, but I feel like my 6700k was exhibiting similar symptoms at 4.4ghz. I dropped back to stock after a little bit of tinkering, but I was going to play with the clocks more after my new heatsink shows up.

Back