Is my GA-EP45-UD3P bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous

[H]ard|Gawd
EDIT: Figured it out. See last post.

Whenever I try to restart the system it shuts off instead. I can try to restart it by exiting the BIOS, the reset button on the case, or through Windows (end of install or from Start menu) but the computer shuts off instead. I've also had it tell me it can't find my Windows XP install just after installing it. This has happened twice. I'm using the Intel RAID.

All parts are new except where noted as salvaged (my old PSU killed almost everything):

-Gigabyte GA-EP34-UD3P rev 1.1
-Antec Earthwatts 500W or Antec TruePower New 650W
-Intel P4 3.6GHz (salvaged)
-2 x 512MB Crucial Ballistix PC2-5300 (salvaged)
-Asus EAH3450
-2 x WD3200AAKS in RAID 1
-Lite On 22x DVD SATA burner

Here is what has happened/I've done:

-I've flashed the BIOS to F8 and also F7
-I've disconnected all drives and the shutdown problem still occurs when I exit the BIOS
-Replaced the Antec Earthwatts 500W with a Antec TruePower New 650W
-Disconnected the case reset switch
-Re-seat the motherboard

I can't think of anything else to try. Is it the motherboard?

Thanks!

try installing windows on 1 drive not in raid and see what happens.

Forgot to mention I tried that and it worked. But I still had the problem where it shuts off when it should reboot.

Also, I was able to successfully get Windows installed in RAID 1 on my first Windows install attempt. I even rebooted and successfully installed all drivers and some programs. When it was doing nothing it suddenly shut off and that is when I had my first missing Windows install. Once the computer suddenly shut off I started experiencing the problems mentioned.

Try another set of RAM or CPU since those parts came a PC where the PSU upped and killed mostly everything. There's a chance that the CPU and RAM were affected by the previous poor quality PSU.

I would try to install another OS before considering hardware are the problem.

Figured it out. Apparently when I tried re-seating the motherboard I put it right back where it was. I just put the computer together outside the case. The reboot problem is gone and I just successfully installed Windows XP in RAID 1 with no problems. I guess the short by having the motherboard mounted not so correctly caused the shtudown/reboot problems and somehow interfered with my hard drives and the RAID controller.

I guess I should have tried this before I rushed to Fry's and spent $150 on the 650W PSU. Grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back