Is my card too hot?

xellos2099alpha

[H]ard|Gawd
I am wondering if my video card is running too hot atm. My card currently is Evga GTX275 and when I am running ffiv or battlefield 3 alpha. My card went over 100 degree a couple of time and a bit of graphic corruption and my card is not oced. Is my fan failing? If so, can I rma it to evga or will they refuse it?

Last edited:
xellos.. is that 100C or 100F ?? if C you have a serious problem cause thats over 200degrees F if 100F dont think thats too bad.

xellos.. is that 100C or 100F ?? if C you have a serious problem cause thats over 200degrees F if 100F dont think thats too bad.

Since my card idles at nearly 100F, I am betting that its 100C. If its only getting to 100F, that not just "not too bad" thats absolutely fantastic. :D

Just curious, why do you think they would refuse it? If it's never been OC or tinkered with you should be fine. There's definitely something wrong in this situation though.

EVGA is pretty good about their warranty as well.

Set your fan to ramp up more aggressively in something like Msi afterburner, if you're still cooking then there is definitely a problem.

If it's a GTX275 it's most likely a year or two old at this point. Have you ever cleaned out the fan and heatsink on the card?

If not, that's definitely the first thing you need to do. If you aren't diligent about cleaning your PC there can be a lot more dust build up than you'd realize and that will really impact your temps after a while.

Get a can of compressed air and blow out the fan and heatsink. If it's really dusty you may even want to remove the heatsink completely, blow it out, reapply new thermal compound and reinstall it. Also make sure your fan is working as expected.

If that doesn't work, you can try a more aggressive fan profile using MSI Afterburner to ramp it up higher, as has already been suggested.

100C is high for that card, but not completely outrageous. However the graphical corruption is worrisome. So try cleaning it out thoroughly first, then report back. No need to RMA the card and wait a while without a PC if it's a simple fix.

^ this

before my 280's thermoplate went for a crap I cleaned and reapplied paste. worked like a charm!

Back