Is my board pooched?

bishop7

n00b
Hello,

I recently bought an Athlon XP 2500 mobile. I tried using the socket mod to force it to autodetect it as a 200 MHz FSB part (http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html , check the 200 Mhz FSB to see where I put the U-shaped wires in the socket), but backed off on it and I think I ruined my socket somehow (though i'm not entirely sure) I see the indicator led is turned on, so the board IS getting power, but with the mobile CPU in the socket it will not turn on (I don't mean it just won't POST, it just won't turn on PERIOD)

I tried using the previous CPU (a TBred-B 2400+) in the socket with the same result. Funny enough, if I remove the CPU and turn on the power it powers on fine (or at least for a board wihout a CPU!)

Do any of you MB experts know what is wrong? My GUESS is that a fragment of the wire I used to bridge the pins is stuck in the socket and when the CPU is inserted it pushes it into a position which shorts out the board. More importantly, is there anything I can do to save this board without getting a new one?

ugh ugh ugh - please dont try that again - the wires used are so small that they can be pushed into the socket and cut off - possibly shorting the wrong pins - or worse damaging your cpu/motherboard. - Or you could have easily placed the wires on the wrong pins and zapped your board or cpu - my suggestion is to check your cpus on a known working board -
take your affected motherboard out of its case - remove all items from it - turn it upside down and open the socket - see if anything falls out - if not try slowly opening/ closing the socket to see if anything comes out - if so - you may have just fixed you problem - if not (and the cpus are ok in another motherboard) you have a bad board -
another suggestion - set the cmos to clear and remove the psu plug and the cmos battery for 30 minutes - then reconnect everything - sometimes you can corrupt your bios and this act is effectively a deep clear of your bios...
Good luck

Back