Is my ATI A636 Digital Cable Tuner (CableCard) a dead end now that WMC is dead?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I bought one of These as a way to continue recording TV since Charter Communications went 100% digital a year ago in my area. :eek:

I am still using Windows Media Center which is now dead :( So I don't know how much longer Microsoft will continue to supply the EPG TV guide data

Plus I am building a new PC in about two months so I want to go to windows 10

A TV Tuner is not on the priority list so I want to make the ATI one work if at all possible
plus I don't need multiple tuners and I can deal without the channels that are marked "Copy-Once"

My question is there any other software that will work with my older CableCard tuner?

My tuner plugs into a USB 2.0 port and then shows up as a OCUR Device with an IP address

Thanks

If you can deal without copy once channels then there are other options for tuning besides media center. From what I found on a quick google search some people use nextpvr and kodi, though I have no idea how to set it up or use it as I stuck with win 8 because I record the copy once channels in media center.

I have no idea if that tuner works in win 10. I had two of those, but one of them went flaky (could have been the cable card). Those are quite old (I think 7+ years now) so who knows how long that one will last you. I ended up getting an hd homerun prime on sale so I only had to pay one cable card fee as well now.

Last edited:
If you can deal without copy once channels then there are other options for tuning besides media center. From what I found on a quick google search some people use nextpvr and kodi, though I have no idea how to set it up or use it as I stuck with win 8 because I record the copy once channels in media center.

I have no idea if that tuner works in win 10. I had two of those, but one of them went flaky (could have been the cable card). Those are quite old (I think 7+ years now) so who knows how long that one will last you. I ended up getting an hd homerun prime on sale so I only had to pay one cable card fee as well now.

I can vouch for NectPVR working just fine with a HDHomerun Prime on Win 10.

Note to the OP: WMC isn't automatically "dead" because they dropped support in win 10. It'll still be around for as long as 7 and 8.1 are still in support.
I would plan on replacing that tuner with something more recent and still supported though.

HDHomeRun Prime (CC) + Kodi + Silicon Dust's Viewer is what I use at home. It works pretty well. They are working on a DVR solution now as well, currently in early beta.

Already mentioned elsewhere.. that's more of a dirty hack than anything else. Very much so NOT recommended as it's liable to break something.

Much better to either stick with 8.1 or go with one of the other solutions out there.

Running it flawless on 3 pc's. But to each his own.

I've tried it, the TV portion of it doesn't work.

You can also continue to use WMC on windows 7 or 8. Its supported til 2020 or 2025.

Windows is supported, but that does not mean the guide. The license states that they can cancel it at any time. Before anyone gets upset, it's unlikely to be any time soon since XB1 uses the same data, but I'm getting tired of people assuming that windows support = WMC support.

How are the Ceton tuners? I am specifically looking at the InfintiTV 4 as I looked and I can get a used one for about $100 and some change.

I once did buy the HDHR-3CC but it was DOA out of the box so I returned it and promptly spent the money on something not computer related

How are the Ceton tuners? I am specifically looking at the InfintiTV 4 as I looked and I can get a used one for about $100 and some change.

I once did buy the HDHR-3CC but it was DOA out of the box so I returned it and promptly spent the money on something not computer related

When I was researching to buy either a hd homerun prime or a ceton tuner every response was buy the prime as the ceton tuner has more issues. I've had 0 issues with mine after 6 months. I haven't even had to restart it.

When I was researching to buy either a hd homerun prime or a ceton tuner every response was buy the prime as the ceton tuner has more issues. I've had 0 issues with mine after 6 months. I haven't even had to restart it.

OK thanks I guess I will try a take 2 with the HDHR-3CC as the first one I got could not be found on the network

OK thanks I guess I will try a take 2 with the HDHR-3CC as the first one I got could not be found on the network

make sure windows isn't setting the lan connection to be public as that will prevent it from being seen and also you'll need to turn on network discovery. I had to do this to get media center to see it.

The internal PCIe Ceton tuners work fine, but if you want network tuners, the Prime generally seems to have fewer issues. I have the networked Ceton and it's solid for me but others seem to have issues.

The internal PCIe Ceton tuners work fine, but if you want network tuners, the Prime generally seems to have fewer issues. I have the networked Ceton and it's solid for me but others seem to have issues.

Yeah, the only major issue I had getting the prime running again was when I needed a tuning adapter. Those things can be a royal pain in the rear end. Either they work flawlessly or they cause all kinds of problems, nothing in between.

make sure windows isn't setting the lan connection to be public as that will prevent it from being seen and also you'll need to turn on network discovery. I had to do this to get media center to see it.

I think the first one was defective as the Link/ACT leds did not light up on either device (Router Switch or the prime)

Back