Is my A64 3200+ too hot??? (51 C)

bnason

n00b
Hi all,

My 3200+ A64 is running at 50-52 Celsius when idle (in BIOS monitor). Is this too hot? Everything's at stock (settings, using stock HSF, etc.). Only thing I did was put on Arctic thermal paste instead of the default stuff.

This is my first comp. build, so sorry if this is a newbie question! Thanks in advance.

How hot is it when under a full load? Just as long as u stay around 60C u should be fine, anything too much higher and u should start worrying.... 52 is fine dont owrry bout it

Did you install the drivers or whatever it is that you need to get Cool and Quiet to work?

No, didn't do the cool n quiet... figured it's unnecessary? Also, my temp isn't going above 54C - even with repeated iterations of 3dmark - so I'm hoping it'll be kosher?

Originally posted by bnason
No, didn't do the cool n quiet... figured it's unnecessary? Also, my temp isn't going above 54C - even with repeated iterations of 3dmark - so I'm hoping it'll be kosher?

Well it is necessary if you want it to be cool and quiet ;). Might aswell if for no other reason it will cut down on your power bill and has no noticable effect in games and what not. I don't actually have a a64 so thats just what I have read in the reviews.

Q U I E T

as for the temp,youre fine, but if it starts climbing, be afraid

Test with Prime 95 CPU torture test instead of 3DMARK 2003 and see what the highest temps you are getting after some hours of use.

Most users I know with a 3200 A64 get about 40-45C load with decent airflow. Whats your case and how many fans are u using?

My 3200 sits @ 37C in windows and maxes about 43C after hours of prime. Thats on 1.55v and stock cooler.

Idle, I'm generally at:

44C CPU / 38C MOBO

CPU has gone as high as 52-53 when playing games / reiterating 3dMark2001 over and over. Is that safe?

I have a Lian Li PC=65B case -- 2 front fans, fan on top, rear chasis fan. TruePower 480 with rear/bottom fan. 9800XT w/ 2 fans.

It's also tucked in the comp. cubby hole in my desk, so airflow is prolly' stale.

I used Antec thermal grease, stock HSF. I'm not oc'ing, so I guess these temps should be okay?

Back