Is my 4-month old WD250 dying?

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Wow, this is strange. Picture explains it all.

hdeventlogaa9.jpg

Any idea what's going on? Or how to fix it?

Edit: It has to be dying. I am getting random 3 second freezes every 10 seconds or so. I can move mouse normally, but ALL activity stops and I cannot click anything. My music stops as well during the 3 seconds.

Edit 2: I rebooted, and it was at the Windows logo screen for ATLEAST 30 seconds. This is just unbearable. FOLDERS are taking 10+ seconds to open up. Winrar is takes 20 seconds to extract a 5mb file.

Install the wd data lifeguard diagnostics and see if you get smart failures.
I just had to rma a wd2500yd. They sent a wd2500ys to replace it and it gave failures. I ordered another wd2500ys for raid and it's now giving me failures.
So much for that re-based failure rating.
Thank God for cross-shipping.
JJ

See if windows switched your hard drive to pio because of the error.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1165372
I followed the instructions, setting it back to DMA. I rebooted, and it rebooted extremely quick (like normal), and everything ran smooth. Unfortunately within 5 minutes it got set back to PIO mode. Any way to make it stay in DMA?

I ran the diagnostic, and everything came out fine.

Edit: It's getting worse. A new error ntfs - "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:." Category: Disk Event: 55

Run HDtune, check for bad sectors, or you can do a chkdisk, if you get a whole bunch of bad clusters time to RMA.

If everything checks out, a reformat might be in your future.

I have no idea on how to keep it in dma mode I suggest making sure your bios is up to date as well as your drivers just to rule them out and hope it doesn't happen after you format the drive. Use a program or something to moniter your voltages and see if it's jumping around while accessing your hd.

I would try reformatting.
This is about a week after I just reformatted. :( I reformatted because of these errors, but they didn't happen near as much.

And I _would_ run the diagnostic, but whenever I open it it says locate the WD Diagnostics.msi file. I can't uninstall either, because it says the same thing. I tried installing another right over it, but it still has me locate that file.

I ran the first test of that diagnostic earlier, and it passed. I was on the second, but it said it was going to take over 20 hours to complete, so I canceled and tried rebooting to fix any slowness. At this time I didn't know of that PIO error, which is the reason it was slow, but now it's just prompting me to find that file.

do you have another drive to try out on that system?

Yeah, I have one in an old computer--who knows if it works, but I'll give it a try when I get home.

the test programs run on something. the formatting making things a little better, makes me wonder if the effect is cummulative, like something is corrupting the file system over time.

im assuming you are using ntfs with your 250gb hdd, so its probably not ram.

anyone have an idea of how to check the mobo atapi hadware?

Back