Is Motorola Bringing Back The Razr?

I wouldn't mind a touch screen version with updated specs (by that I mean top of the line). I had that phone myself in both black and silver.

Hi All

Certainly looks that way. For the record I had one too.

I had one -- it was a great phone. I miss the days of not having to charge up my phone every 18 hours.

I've been saying for years if they brought the Razr back I would get one and sideline my smartphone. Make me follow through, bitches.

They need to bring back the Star-Tac.
Best phone I ever owned for actually making phone calls. It sounded like a land line and could crank the volume up way higher than anything I've had before or since (sans speakerphone).

I still have my ex's pink razr. still works but no sim. its the old esn not iemi or what ever they are now.

What current phone are you getting 18 hours out of? My Nexus 6p is a solid 14 hours.

The S7 Edge is good for 2 full days with light use after tweaking, or a day with heavy screen use. I don't like it as well as my G3 so far as formfactor, but it's definitely better for battery.

Nah, phones aren't really used as phones anymore these days. The main appeal is being able to browse the Internet and do a bunch of other stuff a dumb phone could never do. I had a razr back in the day and it was cool, but that ship sailed.

It would be interesting if they put two screens so that when the phone was open they had a very little gap between them. It'd be like a flip smart phone.

I think it will work for both of them. you can still have some of the smart functions in a flip and more and more people just want a simple phone again. especially the 50+ crowd they don't want all the new fangled things. have you ever watched an elderly person use a smartphone? most get very frustrated and just want some number buttons to press and make a call. and yes there are the techsavy out there but few and far...

I'll take one. Had one BITD. No chance of butt dial or downloading weird shit. I hate smart phones as they are too big and really look stupid having a giant brick in your pocket.

W2016 is 4k usd and only available in china. I've been trying to get my grubby mitts on one, but not at that price.

I hope Motorola does this. V3i was my favourite and longest lasting phone. 5 years use, even today they still look cool as fuck. 100% would hoon a new version. I just need a simple phone.

There is a gionee w909 clamshell dual screen with buttons too.

And most of the v3s on ebay are fake reproductions. I've seen them and tried them, they're nasty compared to the real deal.

I would love them to bring back the Startac, I loved that phone. Well except the antenna which broke constantly.

What current phone are you getting 18 hours out of? My Nexus 6p is a solid 14 hours.

Same phone -- Nexus 6P - however I don't really use it a bunch so 18 hours seems the norm. Still have to charge it every single day though. With daily charging being the norm for so many devices these days, its just nice to remember the days when you could skip a day or two and still survive.

Only device I've been able to pull off that sort of thing is a Fitbit Charge - once a week charge it seemed.

I'm guessing they mean specifically a flip phone RAZR? Cause it hasn't been that long since moto used the RAZR branding on it's phones.

I remember the Razr, it was the most popular phone around. I, like Nursultan Tuliagby, could not afford. I had to buy a Motorolla v551.

Had a Razr and it was one of the best phones I ever owned. Slim, sturdy, light weight, and great battery. But most importantly - the ability to slam the phone shut after a call. Total power move. Would definitely consider buying another modern version.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm all in I want a smaller phone with simple text and phone calls where the battery last at least all day, i don't need it for gaming, photography, open office, the weather, facebook. My phone contract will son be up and I am very much considering going to a cheap trak phone I am not a tied at the hip to my phone kind of guy.

Lets look at who is doing this, Lenovo.....
Masters of spy ware on brand new computers...

my guess is this doing it for the retro market and the 3rd world i just need a phone market. Based on the Lenovo computers i had to work on and remove Lenovo's pyware from these will be horrible.

And there is still the matter of who is bankrolling Lenovo.

I used to have a Razr with Cingular. It was a pretty cool phone at the time. Flip and thin. I suppose it would fill that niche market if this article holds true.

My phone contract will son be up and I am very much considering going to a cheap trak phone I am not a tied at the hip to my phone kind of guy.
Good idea. Sometimes on eBay you can find a used track phone with plenty of minutes that expire many months, even years, in the future.

I miss the battery life of the RAZR. "Smart" phones lost touch with that shit. When was the last time your phone could handle a WEEK of steady use?

I miss the battery life of the RAZR. "Smart" phones lost touch with that shit. When was the last time your phone could handle a WEEK of steady use?

The question is what did you actually do with your flip phone back in the day? You never used it other than to call or text someone, browsing either didn't exist or was a horrible experience. I would rather charge my phone every night and have the capabilities of a smartphone. You could take something like a Galaxy S7 and put it into ultra power savings mode and probably get the same experience/battery life as a flip phone from back in the day.

Nope, never had one, they always seemed pretty much like any other craptastic feature phone of the era. I had BlackBerrys, which were the shit back then. (I'd even argue at the time the iPhone came out, the BlackBerry was better for several generations. Can you imagine when the iPhone came out, it didn't even support copy and paste and they didn't introduce it until OS 3.0!?)

Last edited:
No clue if they will remain this way, but Motorola is one of the few Android OEMs that puts borderline stock Android on their devices. A super-thin phone with stock Android N? Count me in.
Hopefully Lenovo doesn't break that.

Nah, phones aren't really used as phones anymore these days. The main appeal is being able to browse the Internet and do a bunch of other stuff a dumb phone could never do. I had a razr back in the day and it was cool, but that ship sailed.

So has the network it ran on. 2G is dead and gone, 3G won't be all that far behind. That's why no one is selling the old Grandpa and Grandma feature phones anymore. The network they were build to run on is out of commission for most carriers.

That being said, I miss the ease of use of the old flip phones.

Maybe these guys think they have the whole voice command thing down perfect and are going to use voice to work around interface issue.

Back