Is MMO loot really random?

So I've finally graduated from the PVP side of WoW after achieving rank 13 and gone onto PVE. I've been in this guild about two months and I'm a mage. Out of six clears of Molten Core, a 40-man raiding instance, nearly 60% of the drops have been items that can only be used by the two least played classes in our guild, warlocks and druids. Out of the 8 available classes, we usually have only five out of forty people in any raid who are warlocks and druids. All of our warlocks and druids have gotten their full tier 1 set because of this, while other people still lack a lot of the pieces needed to complete the set. A lot of the loot just gets disenchanted, or in non WoW speak, "recycled" into something less useful.

This trend has continued with other instances. Onyxia, a 40-man dragon, has dropped 13 warlock and druid helmets out of 20 total helmets. Chromaggus, a boss in a harder 40 man instance, has dropped DOUBLE druid loot THREE WEEKS running. The loot distribution has been as lopsided in Blackwing Lair, but the predisposition to warlock and druid loot continues.

Blizzard asserts that the loot is completely random and is determined by a random number generator. However, many other guilds, of different factions, on different servers, report the same predisposition to warlock and druid loot. There are also theories floating about on Blizzard's forums that all this warlock and druid loot is to keep other people raiding who have little or no loot after months.

Do other games show this odd behavior? The end game loot in WoW seems predisposed to two out of the eight classes, both of which are seldom played. I'm about ready to sell my character and move on to a game in which I might have a shot at some loot ;)

So the timesink requires too much time to be sunk into it?

Anyways, when I played WoW my guild geared the crap out of Warriors. They had TONS of items compared to other classes. Warlock and Druid loot wasn't exceptionally common.

A few weeks old, but here's a listing of who won what here

I'm not going to bother to summarize it, as I don't really care, but it does show that Warlock and Druid loot is not exceptionally common.

My take on it is this: There is random loot, which sometimes tends to favor certain classes. When it favors Warriors, everyone is happy, because there are lots of Warriors. Same with Priests, Mages, Paladins/Shamans, Rogues, and Hunters. When it favors Warlocks/Druids, people get on the forums and whine because not many people play those classes.

Makes sense, IMO. There are probably plenty of guilds with loot skewed towards a certain class. They just don't complain about it since they have a place to put it. I have never seen a guild where Warlocks or Druids outnumbered Priests or Warriors.

i dont think its random at all.

ive been playing wow for about a year, work on the weekends so i can never do mc runs or anything with my guild so i was all about getting my tier 0.

i 6 months of trying the only pieces i could get were the bs boots, bs belt, and bs bracers.. nothing else dropped ever.

THEN doing warlords command on my 20th run BOTH the bs gloves and mantle drop, yay for me... but then I do ud strat.. both the bs boots and pants drop... then i do scholo... bs helm drops.. then ubrs and the bs tunic drops...

I did all of these instances on consecutive days.. but still, it is just so odd that I didnt get a thing for 6 months and then all of a sudden I get everything in like.. 2 days doing each instance once.

I feel like during maintanence someone saw that my char was borked in some way and fixed it?? Explaining why after that tuesday I got all my set pieces...

Anyways definately weird, i've also noticed that alot of runs have the exact same drops.. not just one item but BOTH blue items off baron will always be the same.. like wildheart pants and some shitty mace.. and its like that for awhile, like the loot table generated isnt changing.

Maybe Blizzard is trying to encourage people to play Warlock and Druid characters by skewing the loot drops?

MH Knights said:
Maybe Blizzard is trying to encourage people to play Warlock and Druid characters by skewing the loot drops?

If true, and if I played WoW, I'd let the other naive people do that. :p

Cause after they've got more people playing that class, it's a "Fuck you" moment and the loot will go back to normal.

And this is why I never understand how or why MMO's are so popular. 40 people playing for hours so only 2 people can get a reward. That's just focking stupid and it's got you all brainwashed.

I see the same thing in MC. Druid stuff always drops and there aren't too many druids around...so I rolled a druid for free lewtz :). On the other hand, priest stuff never drops and all our priests dkp are through the roof.

I really wonder if it is truly random.

Some things to try that have worked for my guild, Vengence of Azeroth on Azgalor.

1.) Let different people create the raid group. When our guild leader creates the raid group, we are lucky to see 1-2 BoE items from MC. But when a mage/hunter creates it, be have gotten as many as 10 BoEs. No explaination, but it happens.

2.) Raid different days. We swapped our MC/BWL raid days and seem to get consistantly different loot now in both instances.

Of course this is subjective, I have no data to back up these 2 ideas other than to say that the loot does seem to be more different under these 2 conditions.

That said, I do notice that Nemishard/Felshard and Stormshard/Cenaishard do seem to drop a freaking lot. All of our druids and locks are 8/8 teir 1 and all our locks are 8/8 teir 2. Poor druids tho, nef has only droped one Stormrage Chest. He has been kind to our casters/warriors tho.

I can't remember where I read it but instance loot is determined when you start the instance - not at kill time. Also, the 'seed' for the RNG is the makeup of the party. So, if you start the instance with the same ppl every time, you'll get the same loot.

ehh, last I heard, the rumor was it was the party leader that was most influential to the seed.

Back