Is Micro-ATX My Only Option Here?

Wshmaster0

2[H]4U
So lately I've had the itch to take my 800D build down to a mini-ITX

What's been plaguing this build to start is the lack of a suitable motherboard.

I've been looking at what's out and a few press releases on new things, but it seems the boom for mini-ITX builds that manufacturers still aren't releasing any viable options for at least two pci-e lanes as of yet.

I'd like to put a 670 in there alongside my Xense sound card. I have specific requirements for this sound card so I can't let it go, meaning if there isn't anything coming out soon then I may either hold off or just not do the build at all. I've also been considering some micro-atx boards but would rather stick to mini-ITX as a goal.

Has anyone heard of anything new that's possibly coming out with the optional PCI-e slot? Doesn't even have to be 16x just a regular 1x is fine.

The mini-ITX form factor only has provision for 1 expansion slot. If you want more, you must go micro-ATX. For which, I must say, my MVG is the bees-knees.

For two PCIe slots in that form factor you want a Shuttle system. Unfortunately the GTX 670 is a double-width card, so you're in luck if you can find a single-width GTX 670 that uses fluid cooling. Or if your XSense card can fit in the Shuttle's mini-PCIe slot..

Thanks everyone for the replies, yes I realize the limitations and challenges and that's kind of why I asked if anyone knew of any news I haven't heard of yet.

and Quartz-1, the EVGA 670 is a very slim card with a waterblock on it so I'll be using that. Not to mention it's very very small in length, almost the same length as a mITX board. Which is why I was going to choose that route.

I haven't looked into Shuttle's offerings but last I checked they only had micro-ATX solutions.

I've only seen ITX boards with one PCIe slot. (Especially current gen stuff). Have you considered something that connects via USB, such as this? http://www.asus.com.au/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_One/

Or maybe something that connects via internal USB header?

Haha, I'd rather stick with my sound card considering that setup is almost $600 bucks alone, yikes.

Some MITX motherboards have a MiniPCI-Express slot.
Get a MiniPCI-Express to PCI-Express x1 adapter/ribbon, which effectively gives your MITX board additional full-size Slot.
If the motherboard has an x16 slot, you can add a soundcard to the new x1 slot. You will have to figure out a way to route the cables though.

I haven't looked into Shuttle's offerings but last I checked they only had micro-ATX solutions.

You'll want one of their SFF systems, not one of their motherboards. You can fit a 92 mm radiator. Asetek do one that's a CPU cooler only. It should be possible to mod that to include the GPU.

A lot of the popular mitx cases are so close to matx dimensions anyways I don't really understand why so many people use them.

matx Rosewill Ranger-M/FBM-01 13.9"x6.9"x15" (13.8" without faceplate) $25-40

matx Antec NSK3480 13.8"x7.8"x14" $100 (includes 380w PSU)

itx Bitfenix Prodigy 15.9"x9.8"x14.1" $80

itx Lian-Li PC-Q25 11"x7.8"x14.4" $120

itx Silverstone SG05 8.7"x6.9"x10.9" $110 (includes 300w PSU)
shoebox style SFX PSU = pricey replacement, not a lot of room for oversized GPU's

itx Silverstone SG07 8.7"x7.5"x13.8" $180 (includes 600w PSU)
shoebox style ATX PSU about 3" deeper than SFX model

If you keep your case on top of your desk then the width and depth footprint are the most important dimensions. A couple inches of saved height only matters if it's gonna be a shelved/cubby holed case. In overall volume most of the itx cases are very close to the matx ones, in most cases you save 2-3" height or depth, but rarely both height and depth.

I got my Rosewill Ranger-M for $25 shipped. I pulled the faceplate to save the extra inch in depth, and bought a $7 220mm fan that spins at a slow 600rpm that fits perfectly inside the side panel as an intake fan that can cool the entire board and GPU/CPU by itself.

If you're going super compact without a GPU I can understand picking up one of those tiny itx boxes. But for a gaming rig with a fullsize GPU I don't understand the point in paying all the extra money and dealing with the limited board options to save a couple of inches tops, or sometimes no space savings at all.

You can also get matx shoebox style cases and compact little matx cases that use SFX power supplies.

Last edited:
Get a MiniPCI-Express to PCI-Express x1 adapter/ribbon, which effectively gives your MITX board additional full-size Slot.
If the motherboard has an x16 slot, you can add a soundcard to the new x1 slot. You will have to figure out a way to route the cables though.

This is quite interesting, I started looking them up and found some really good options. There will have to be some mods to the case itself but yes very intriguing. Thanks for the heads up!

You'll want one of their SFF systems, not one of their motherboards. You can fit a 92 mm radiator. Asetek do one that's a CPU cooler only. It should be possible to mod that to include the GPU.

Thanks, I'll def look at their solutions!

A lot of the popular mitx cases are so close to matx dimensions anyways I don't really understand why so many people use them.

matx Rosewill Ranger-M/FBM-01 13.9"x6.9"x15" (13.8" without faceplate) $25-40

matx Antec NSK3480 13.8"x7.8"x14" $100 (includes 380w PSU)

itx Bitfenix Prodigy 15.9"x9.8"x14.1" $80

itx Lian-Li PC-Q25 11"x7.8"x14.4" $120

itx Silverstone SG05 8.7"x6.9"x10.9" $110 (includes 300w PSU)
shoebox style SFX PSU = pricey replacement, not a lot of room for oversized GPU's

itx Silverstone SG07 8.7"x7.5"x13.8" $180 (includes 600w PSU)
shoebox style ATX PSU about 3" deeper than SFX model

If you keep your case on top of your desk then the width and depth footprint are the most important dimensions. A couple inches of saved height only matters if it's gonna be a shelved/cubby holed case. In overall volume most of the itx cases are very close to the matx ones, in most cases you save 2-3" height or depth, but rarely both height and depth.

I got my Rosewill Ranger-M for $25 shipped. I pulled the faceplate to save the extra inch in depth, and bought a $7 220mm fan that spins at a slow 600rpm that fits perfectly inside the side panel as an intake fan that can cool the entire board and GPU/CPU by itself.

If you're going super compact without a GPU I can understand picking up one of those tiny itx boxes. But for a gaming rig with a fullsize GPU I don't understand the point in paying all the extra money and dealing with the limited board options to save a couple of inches tops, or sometimes no space savings at all.

You can also get matx shoebox style cases and compact little matx cases that use SFX power supplies.

This is quite true! I've gone from super large builds and my goal here is to have a quazi-traveling beast. I think the draw to mini-ITX is the fact that it's the bare minimum of what someone needs, and if you can max out those parts, it will ultimately become a far greater solution. micro-ATX I think is a great and viable solution as well but people who run SLI or tri-SLI or more often go for far bigger motherboards anyway, so what is the need for 4 pci-e slots?

I think we'll see a far bigger development in mini-ITX's in the coming months/years

As far as cases go, I do agree with you, but to some modders, the challenge is what draws them to the smaller spaces. For me in particular, I want to be able to fit a min-ITX solution alongside a evga 670 which is a great card and literally half the size of normal graphics card, tie that in with a water solution and you've got the makings of an awesome custom rig!

Thanks a lot guys for all your feedback so far!

mITX cases close to mATX cases, server their purpose as being the fun cases, with water.
There's cases the size of my filing cabinets, and there's your normal full tower.

Last edited:
very interesting build concept. if you can pull together a watercooled, 670 powered m-itx build, id be impressed and awed. while possible, it might be costly :D Goodluck OP, i will be following this for sure!

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I'd look into USB soundcards. What speakers/headphones do you use?

some mITX boards (Asus P8Z77=I) that have build in wifi which is also in there with PCI express slot, can be removed that card for option bloodypulp suggested. if you don't have use for wifi/you can get USB wifi which will be cheaper and more reliable option as well. i'm not sure how effective the option will be, but there are plenty of cases which you can easily mod to get right ports open for your card.

Last edited:
Back