Is memory as important for Intel as it is for Ryzen?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
Speaking for gaming.

I currently have a Ryzen 2600 with 3600 c18 memory (18-19-19-42 to be exact). I play simulators, where the CPU happens to be pretty important (Arma 3 for instance is brutal. The game drops to 25 FPS on the prologue at ultra while the GPU almost sits idle at 30%, it's ridiculous). Now my plan was to switch to Intel, either a 10600k or if i can make it a 10700k, as it seems even the Ryzen 3600 is coming short for those kind of games. If the Ryzen 4000 is as good as they say i may end up with that, and i know then i need faster memory to make the most out of that, but assuming for instance Zen 3 still can't beat Intel for games, would i still have to upgrade my memory?

Memory is not as crucial to performance in Intel in most work loads. That said, some benefit more than others. You won't typically see as big of gains though unless you're doing a lot of bandwidth limited stuff (video encoding, etc). For gaming it doesn't make a huge difference, but again a little bit is sometimes worth it to people, so really find some benches for the stuff you'd be interested in and see how big a deal it is.

I would say it is as important but you have to spend more on RAM and push to higher speeds than you do with AMD to see the same kind of performance gain.
If you replaced your 3600c18 RAM with say 4000c15 RAM or just 4400c19 and overclocked it then you can expect to see a bigger performance gain that you would get from overclocking the CPU itself in Arma 3.

Basically i should invest in RAM as well. Damn, guess i need to raise my budget.

Luckily, it seems prices are going down. This is the one i was looking at:

https://www.amazon.it/gskill-3600-C...403R5AQWF3C&psc=1&refRID=XS798CTTK403R5AQWF3C

According to the B-Die finder they are guaranteed of being, well, B-Die, which means i ought to be able to push them to at least 3800 (maybe 4000) while keeping the timings at cl15. I remember earlier this year they were 200 euros so at least there's that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is important? Speed ratings or actual bandwidth? Doesnt Intel give greater bandwidth even with 'slower' ram?

What is important? Speed ratings or actual bandwidth? Doesnt Intel give greater bandwidth even with 'slower' ram?
They are both important... CL1 would do no good at 100mhz.... Just as 5000 CL100 would be useless. It has to strike a balance between timings and speeds. This is why sometimes it gives you a faster system to run slightly slower frequency with tighter timings.
Intel inherently has better (lower) latency I their system, so as mentioned you don't gain as much in general with Intel, but that's not to say there aren't increases. It also depends on the type of loads you're talking about to. Something like video encoding is more sensitive to absolute speed, while twitch gaming or less sequential access memory programs will respond better to tighter timings. Everything is a compromise ;).

Back