Is MacBook Pro worth buying?

I don't personally use cases but if you want one I think Speck cases are the best fitting, don't add too much bulk, and protect fairly well. I have a frosted clear one that is brand new you can have for $25 bucks.

The bag I use is a Timbuk2. It was designed for the 13" MBP because that's what I had before I upgraded. It was already in the mail when I decided to upgrade to the rMBP so I hoped it would fit and it did. They probably make one that fits the 15" specifically but you'll need to either look at their site or google. They aren't cheap, about $130 bucks, but you can find deals occasionally that should bring them down to half that.

I don't personally use cases but if you want one I think Speck cases are the best fitting, don't add too much bulk, and protect fairly well. I have a frosted clear one that is brand new you can have for $25 bucks.

The bag I use is a Timbuk2. It was designed for the 13" MBP because that's what I had before I upgraded. It was already in the mail when I decided to upgrade to the rMBP so I hoped it would fit and it did. They probably make one that fits the 15" specifically but you'll need to either look at their site or google. They aren't cheap, about $130 bucks, but you can find deals occasionally that should bring them down to half that.

How good is their build qualities?
Last time I bought a messenger bag, it always gave out on me like the strap broke in half.

a macbook won't be breaking any straps on its own. ;)

No, no, I don't mean the Macbook is breaking the messenger bag straps. I meant the messenger bag itself breaks it own straps due to a lot of weights I believe.

Basically, how much can that messenger bag handle?

I'll just add that the ease of use and supposed intuitiveness of OSX is vastly overrated, as is the supposed better way of installing/uninstalling programs. Finder is universally agreed upon to be light years behind Explorer as well. If you have a multiple pc need, ever need to interact with Windows etc, OSX takes work.

The hardware is nice enough, but a Yoga Pro 2 is cheaper, just as nice, and more functional, with the only con being battery life.

Btw I'm a software developer and we build web based apps using Html5, JavaScript etc. some of the devs have MacBooks, rest of us have Thinkpads etc. I can tell you that nothing comes even close to Visual Studio, even for basic stuff like a code editor, managing teams with TFS etc. the guys on Mac also run Windows on it fort he dev work.

I am planning on buying a 13" MBP with at least a 256Gb SSD. I mainly care about the SSD and resale value more than anything else. I obviously will install windows on it and use windows as my primary OS.

How good is their build qualities?
Last time I bought a messenger bag, it always gave out on me like the strap broke in half.

I've had a classic medium that was an ebay clearance for like $58 maybe around 2.5 years ago. I biked back and forth to school with it, books and a laptop on my back about 1400mi one year. It was on my back being hit by TWO cards. Significantly less biking mileage since then but I still use it every single day with laptop and books. Not the slightest sign of this thing breaking down.

I can tell you without a doubt that a timbuk2 is good quality. If seams start to pull apart I can send it back to them for repair but I'll probably buy a new one before sending this one back because I've kinda wanted a couple size options. The medium is too small at times and too big at others so I kinda want a "purse collection"

There really isn't anything obvious about that.

OK, don't know you but I know you're a fanboy now. While there are plenty of things the macos is great at there's plenty of things that windows is just the only option for but you know that and are just trollin. The SSD is the primary reason why I'm going macbook. The other options I've seen so far with those SSD's are in the same pricerange so by time I use student pricing I wouldn't lose much money if after a year I decide I want something different. used macbook prices are just stupid. I've owned so many ipads and sold them 6mnths to a year later for the same price I paid for them that Apple has made a fan out of me not from some kind of superior product or other thing nope its the stupid apple fans that I can take advantage of is why I am now apple fan. Yes macbook quality is fantastic

OK, don't know you but I know you're a fanboy now. While there are plenty of things the macos is great at there's plenty of things that windows is just the only option for but you know that and are just trollin. The SSD is the primary reason why I'm going macbook. The other options I've seen so far with those SSD's are in the same pricerange so by time I use student pricing I wouldn't lose much money if after a year I decide I want something different. used macbook prices are just stupid. I've owned so many ipads and sold them 6mnths to a year later for the same price I paid for them that Apple has made a fan out of me not from some kind of superior product or other thing nope its the stupid apple fans that I can take advantage of is why I am now apple fan. Yes macbook quality is fantastic
lol. i think the idea is that, without prior information, nothing you plan to do with your machine is obvious to anyone else.

is it obvious i will eat a bagel this morning?
Btw I'm a software developer and we build web based apps using Html5, JavaScript etc. some of the devs have MacBooks, rest of us have Thinkpads etc. I can tell you that nothing comes even close to Visual Studio, even for basic stuff like a code editor, managing teams with TFS etc. the guys on Mac also run Windows on it fort he dev work.
i didn't see anyone knocking visual studio (put to regular use, here), but the OP apparently isn't interested in software/web development:
I'll be using the laptop primarily for animation/music producing/graphic design.

Last edited:
lol. i think the idea is that, without prior information, nothing you plan to do with your machine is obvious to anyone else.

is it obvious i will eat a bagel this morning?

This. Buying a Mac to "obviously" put Windows on it as the primary OS is the opposite of obvious.

Do people actually run macbooks WITHOUT windows on them? I'm on a forum like this so I actually do things on a computer and require versatility from a workhorse otherwise I'd just use the chromebook like I am right now for typing messages like this while I poop

frog.gif

Do people actually run macbooks WITHOUT windows on them? I'm on a forum like this so I actually do things on a computer and require versatility from a workhorse otherwise I'd just use the chromebook like I am right now for typing messages like this while I poop

Not sure if sarcastic or trolling.

Regardless what platform you decide on, check kext / driver compatibility with the audio interface you will be using.

I just bought a 15" macbook pro for school, I'm a computer science major and I've used windows all my life. I currently use it as my daily driver as I needed something portable to tote to the university so if any questions ask away.

I primarily code in Java and C and I've been a windows user my whole life. I have a desktop with windows 8.1 that I use when I'm at home and for gaming. I felt it would be beneficial to familiarize myself with mac and use it on a daily basis.

I purchased a case from Switcheasy and I have a sleeve on order from Rickshaw Bagworks and I carry it in my backpack with textbooks and notepads and so forth, btw the backpack is a Northface Recon and it barely fits in the laptop pocket. I use it with my galaxy s4 as a hotspot when I need internet at the university.

This particular model is the quad core 2.3 i7, 16gb ram, 512ssd, Nvidia GeForce GT 750. Compared to the ultra book I had before it (that was sent back due to software/driver problems) which was an Asus Zenbook with a 13" display, this larger display is more comfortable on my eyes as the smaller screen felt cramped however, the smaller Zenbook was lighter and this is definitely heavier but I feel the tradeoff has been worth it, I've had it for 1 week.

By the way, is it worth buying a cooling pad for Macbook Pro 15 Retina?
I don't know how hot it'll get while running a lot of applications at the same time.

And can you turn off the dedicated GPU on Macbook Pro 15 Retina?

No, don't get a cooling pad and yes the dedicated gpu switches automatically or you can use gfxstatus

Back