Is leaked Windows 8.1 RTM ISO worth installing.....

koushik

Weaksauce
Guyz !! As you all know , Windows 8.1 RTM has been leaked to the internet and pretty much working fine with the Windows 8 Product Key you bought..... but I was wondering if my Media Center addon with Windows 8 will still be available with leaked Windows 8.1 ISO.... I can't install Windows 8.1 from the leaked iso thinking what if I lose my Windows Media Center activation ...... Has anyone here already done that ?? I need your help !! :D ... your opinions are most welcome ..... :)

After getting myself informed on exactly what changed from 8.0 to 8.1, I found it to be worthless for my needs so I'm sticking with 8.0 until an 8.2 update and then will re-evaluate. MS also pulled some slimy moves with removing some useful features, coupled with now trying to pick up the pace on herding everyone into their online services by hiding things like local account creation during setup to be where people can't find it. I would strongly recommend reading some reviews about the update and decide if any of the changes would make a diff to you. For example if you run multiple monitors and like Metro then there may be some worthwhile changes for you. Pretty much all the minor changes in 8.1 are related to Metro, so if you're primarily a desktop user don't expect much improvement.

There was a time that a service pack (that's what this is - cleverly disguised by a kernel and windows version bump, and done by the same Windows Sustained Engineering division that's done all the recent service packs for Windows including Win7 and prior) was a no-brainer, blind install, but these days MS is so hellbent on turning everyone's desktops into tablets and herding everyone into their online services - desktop usability be damned - that you have to be real careful now about updates from MS. Get informed on what exactly is changing before taking the plunge, and make sure you create an image based backup so you can roll back if the changes aren't to your satisfaction. On that note you can't even make windows image backups anymore in 8.1 using the GUI because they removed that, so you'll be dealing with cumbersome powershell commands or a third party program. Just one example of MS's new mentality.

Last edited:
Another 8.1 thread? These never end well I think since its all so subjective.

A legit "leaked" RTM you mean...

man !! I just cant wait to install 8.1 on my system .. that's why I want to install the leaked RTM iso(P.S. it is working fine on Windows 8 as told on PCWorld and various tech magazines) and if I hadn't WMC added , I alredy would have .... I don't know if my WMC will still be available if I install the leaked iso ... I don't have much technical knowledge regarding all these tech stuffs .. that's why I posted it here so people like u can help me :) still if my post seems worthless to u , den pardon me ...... peace out :D

After getting myself informed on exactly what changed from 8.0 to 8.1, I found it to be worthless for my needs so I'm sticking with 8.0 until an 8.2 update and then will re-evaluate. MS also pulled some slimy moves with removing some useful features, coupled with now trying to pick up the pace on herding everyone into their online services by hiding things like local account creation during setup to be where people can't find it. I would strongly recommend reading some reviews about the update and decide if any of the changes would make a diff to you. For example if you run multiple monitors and like Metro then there may be some worthwhile changes for you. Pretty much all the minor changes in 8.1 are related to Metro, so if you're primarily a desktop user don't expect much improvement.

There was a time that a service pack (that's what this is - cleverly disguised by a kernel and windows version bump, and done by the same Windows Sustained Engineering division that's done all the recent service packs for Windows including Win7 and prior) was a no-brainer, blind install, but these days MS is so hellbent on turning everyone's desktops into tablets and herding everyone into their online services - desktop usability be damned - that you have to be real careful now about updates from MS. Get informed on what exactly is changing before taking the plunge, and make sure you create an image based backup so you can roll back if the changes aren't to your satisfaction. On that note you can't even make windows image backups anymore in 8.1 using the GUI because they removed that, so you'll be dealing with cumbersome powershell commands or a third party program. Just one example of MS's new mentality.

same feeling too but as 8.1 is a free update , so I'll upgrade my 8 to 8.1 ... dunno if 8.2 upgrade is gonna be free or paid :D (P.S. I'll be careful as u suggested with the updates :D )

System Image Backup is fully available through the GUI as a link in the File History desktop window. However, the file backup is not available anymore. (File History is though.) You will be fine but I recommend cloning your system to a spare harddrive just in case you have any issues afterwards. The updates are definitely worth the time it will take to install it.

If you have multiple monitors, 8.1 is a must. The ability to run multiple Metro apps on other monitors, the flexible resizing all while still working on your desktop is a godsend. As I type this I have Netflix on monitor #1 with a news app is docked to the side, and on the 2nd monitor I have my desktop with Visual Studio, Outlook etc. It suddenly makes Metro apps a lot more useful.

I tried installing the rtm but my win8pro $40 copy key didn't work it won't let me tru. Should I be concern or should I just wait for when it is available for downloading on win update?

Yes I think u should upgrade. I wish I also could do that.

Last edited:
I tried installing the rtm but my win8pro $40 copy key didn't work it won't let me tru. Should I be concern or should I just wait for when it is available for downloading on win update?

Yes I think u should upgrade. I wish I also could do that.

You probably can't do a full install with an upgrade key. There is a procedure though where you can do a full install with 8 with an upgrade key, that may still work with 8.1.

As I understand it, you can't do a clean install of 8.1 and use the 8.0 key. You need an 8.1 key

As I understand it, you can't do a clean install of 8.1 and use the 8.0 key. You need an 8.1 key

There's that dummy key that's floating around where you can do it I believe. Then once it's installed you just active with the upgrade key.

I prefer to do it the correct way by using the 8.1 RTM iso from Microsoft (currently available on both MSDN and Technet) as well as a legitimate 8.1 key.

There's no difference between the "correct way" and any other way. They're functionally equivalent.

There's no difference between the "correct way" and any other way. They're functionally equivalent.

Not really. One way you have to use a key that is "floating" around the net (highly questionable) and the other uses a legal key. I prefer the latter.

Not really. One way you have to use a key that is "floating" around the net (highly questionable) and the other uses a legal key. I prefer the latter.

I did it on three computers with the "highly questionable" key and they worked fine. I did the upgrade, ran the slmgr.vbs -ipk -Windows 8 Product Key and they all activated fine and legal. :D

On the other hand, you do as you choose.

If the hashes match, they're equivalent because they will yield the same end result.

8.1, not really worth it.

I'm debating, but very close to going back to 7. I really didn't have any major beef with 8, figuring 8.1 would fix or at least address a lot of the annoyances of 8, but MS has really doubled down on the whole Modern UI in 8.1. I have Start 8 which works fine (in 8), and I don't really care much about the old style start menu, but 8.1 is very much solidifying how MS wants to try to shape all future computing, and I don't like the direction they are headed.

With 8, you could remove all of the Metro apps and have very little to do w/ the Modern UI. Basically just have a new Start gui. But 8.1 has removed a great deal of the 'usual' desktop stuff in favor of replacing with Metro versions, and the things that still coexist all get defaulted to the Metro versions.

The more I write this, the more I've become convinced that going back to 7 is what I need to do. I'm not a luddite and I have no problem with change, but a lot of 8 is change for the sake of change, and change for the sake of pulling an Apple style walled-garden. Bad bad.

The more I write this, the more I've become convinced that going back to 7 is what I need to do. I'm not a luddite and I have no problem with change, but a lot of 8 is change for the sake of change, and change for the sake of pulling an Apple style walled-garden. Bad bad.

Linux is waiting for you, with open arms.

\On that note you can't even make windows image backups anymore in 8.1 using the GUI because they removed that, so you'll be dealing with cumbersome powershell commands or a third party program. Just one example of MS's new mentality.

They didn't remove it, they hid it. It's under a completely different section now. It's under "File History" - not a very user-friendly place for it.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

It doesn't even show up on search.

I've decided I don't like the new search in the start screen.

in 8 - you start typing, the results show up on screen as tiles, its easy to see as they update
in 8.1 - start screen stays same, results only show in a column on right which is limited in space

Only difference is 8.1 has an 'everywhere' option, and also does a bing search which I don't even want.

And lets look at 7 - you type in the start menu edit box, results show up above it, its easy to see, and you also have frequently used programs.

I like the start screen, I don't think what they did in 8.1 is an improvement.

The way search works in 8.1 is more similar to 7 as far as the pane goes as it does return immediate results in a one column pane. The Bing search in 'Everywhere' can be disabled and only to local searches. Personally I like it because I don't have to be in a web browser to do a search and web searches are so common these days that it makes sense that they can be implemented outside of a web browser. The Hero page stuff is pretty cool as well. The search also integrates contacts from social networks, so info about those comes back in the search.

This is the kind of thing Windows really needs to be more in line with consumer devices where searches are all about integration of online services.

Only difference is 8.1 has an 'everywhere' option, and also does a bing search which I don't even want.

"You don't want shopping results when you're searching your own harddrive? Why? C'mon. Come. On! Here's some shopping results."
220px-Steve_Ballmer_at_CES_2010_cropped.jpg

"You don't want shopping results when you're searching your own harddrive? Why? C'mon. Come. On! Here's some shopping results."[/I

Because everything people search for is on their local hard drive and the only thing online searches generate are shopping results.

I did it on three computers with the "highly questionable" key and they worked fine. I did the upgrade, ran the slmgr.vbs -ipk -Windows 8 Product Key and they all activated fine and legal. :D

On the other hand, you do as you choose.

it isnt legal.. as you did not get it through "legal methods" is the point being made.

Are copyrights being infringed as a result of using a temporary key as a means to install software prior to activating that software with a legitimately-obtained key? I don't believe so. As such, please cite the specific law being violated.

it isnt legal.. as you did not get it through "legal methods" is the point being made.

They key is what matters. As long as you have a valid 8.0/8.1 key it means MS got paid for it. Since the ISO is out on MSDN legally its allowed to be used IMO.

They key is what matters. As long as you have a valid 8.0/8.1 key it means MS got paid for it. Since the ISO is out on MSDN legally its allowed to be used IMO.

Yes, and no.

"Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN subscription license) and some other use. Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN subscription license. When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

So, yes, if you purchased a copy of 8.1, I'd say you were good to use your key. But, in this case since 8.1 isn't available to purchase, using a 8.0 key wouldn't be valid. 8.0 isn't the "underlying OS" in this example... 8.1 is.

^ The issue you described is using an MSDN copy for private use, its not related to 8 vs 8.1. Since 8.1 is a free upgrade, if someone has a valid retail 8.0 key and they use the 8.1 MSDN ISO to install on a fresh pc, I believe it to be perfectly ok.

^ The issue you described is using an MSDN copy for private use, its not related to 8 vs 8.1. Since 8.1 is a free upgrade, if someone has a valid retail 8.0 key and they use the 8.1 MSDN ISO to install on a fresh pc, I believe it to be perfectly ok.

Free upgrade. Awesome. So, it's available to the public through normal distribution channels? IE, the 8.0 store app / Windows update?

Let me answer that for you. NO. It's not available to "normal" people until October 17th.

So, yes, if you purchased a copy of 8.1, I'd say you were good to use your key. But, in this case since 8.1 isn't available to purchase, using a 8.0 key wouldn't be valid. 8.0 isn't the "underlying OS" in this example... 8.1 is.
Windows 8.1, after entering an 8.0 key, goes online, communicates with Microsoft's servers (Microsoft's servers), and returns a result that specifically states the key is valid. How is the 8.0 key not valid?

You aren't using 8.1 under the terms of the MSDN license, as you're using your existing consumer license for Windows 8, which Microsoft more than happily agrees is valid.

Free upgrade. Awesome. So, it's available to the public through normal distribution channels? IE, the 8.0 store app / Windows update?

I don't know what you're trying to say here, since I specifically said that they'd need to use the MSDN iso, but with their retail 8.0 key. I never said it's available to everyone.

Windows 8.1, after entering an 8.0 key, goes online, communicates with Microsoft's servers (Microsoft's servers), and returns a result that specifically states the key is valid. How is the 8.0 key not valid?

You aren't using 8.1 under the terms of the MSDN license, as you're using your existing consumer license for Windows 8, which Microsoft more than happily agrees is valid.

I see your ninja edit there.

"As a general rule though, products requiring activation such as Windows, Windows Server, and Office client products are only offered in their retail version through MSDN."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/cc137104.aspx

That doesn't change the fact that you got your installation media via MSDN, and should follow those licensing rules (since the product isn't available to the public yet).

Hey whatever you want to say to make yourself feel better about invalid licensing, great... but don't act like what your doing is right.

No one should feel bad, or that they are breaking a law by installing 8.1 early and using their 8.0 key. Stop this nonsense about a service pack being a separate OS that needs a separate license before Microshaft tries to get us to pay $25 for each service pack.

The last thing we need is for our OS to have paid day one DLC, its bad enough they do it to our games.

No one should feel bad, or that they are breaking a law by installing 8.1 early and using their 8.0 key. Stop this nonsense about a service pack being a separate OS that needs a separate license before Microshaft tries to get us to pay $25 for each service pack.

The last thing we need is for our OS to have paid day one DLC, its bad enough they do it to our games.

It's just too bad that MS won't lock down 8.1 RTM installs (with an 8.0 key) like they did with the GTA V pirates on the Xbox. That'd teach people.

Back