Is iTunes still crap?

I'm pretty sure Winamp supports things like .MOD and .S3M files.
Winamp plays my MOD and AMF files, but there are some limitations to how they understand the structure; for example, sounds at the end of a file that are supposed to carry-over at the start, extra logic for jumping between various points in the file, etc. And with some of the Unreal files, such as those used in Deus Ex, there were (for lack of a better word) "internal" music tracks within the UMX that required you to manually seek to find and hear; Winamp and other players do not seem capable of finding those.

I don't think it'll do Impulse Tracker files (.IT) though.
I wasn't sure about this either when I read your comment, but I just tried an IT file and it played fine on Winamp (v5.63). Though the problems noted earlier still occur with Winamp.

Ultimately, ModPlug is installed on my machine for only a handful of music files, but that will only last until I find a better alternative.

Last edited:
Apple's devices and software is great as long as you don't mind spending a fortune, and also don't mind being told what you can, and cannot listen to and/or watch. I haven't needed a mommy watching over me so I don't need apple to decide for me what I can and can't keep on my media devices. EG: for some reason, itunes kept deleting my Van Morrison song Brown Eyed Girl. Turns out it had some kind of DRM sig on it which didn't jive with my account. So it kept deleting it from itunes, then it would disappear from my phone. Now, sure, it may have belonged to someone else originally, but I have already purchased the single, the album, and the CD with the song on it, so I felt fair use should allow me to use the digital version I downloaded. Nope, not according to itunes. Sure after I ripped my own CD, that version stayed. But we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use what's supposed to be a user friendly device.
Itunes still sucks. Easier to just unlock and jailbreak the damn phone.

Another vote for MediaMonkey. It's encouraged me to keep my library clean/organized. Autotag-from-Amazon, move/rename-from-properties, and userscripts have made things a breeze.

I used to love Mediamonkey, but then it stopped being just a music player - now it does video and everything else. I found it still worked great, but there were little bugs here and there (at least on my computer).

I've since switched over to MusicBee, which is awesome. It's a lightweight, easy-to-use audio player akin to what MediaMonkey used to be, but packed full of features. My favorite feature is the automatic file organization - you set it up in the settings. New files automatically go to your "Inbox." Once they are properly tagged, they are moved into the "Music" category and Musicbee will automatically rename and organize them on your computer according to how you set it up.

http://getmusicbee.com/

foobar2000+wasapi plugin is my poison and have tried all the others at some point but foobar just does what I need and has the best tools too.

I don't use it as a media player, which most complaints seem to center around, but I actually do like iTunes once I figured out how to do everything. :p

The layout of features is quite odd, particularly when managing content manually, and it deserves many points off for usability. There's definitely a learning curve and after that it's not too difficult to do various common things. Why Apple still has no drag and drop functionality at an Explorer level is a complete mystery. It's like Apple is stuck in 2001.

What do you mean?
Exactly what I wrote.

Explorer is the file manager in Windows. There are no movies, tv, music, podcasts, etc folders exposed via Explorer like many other PMP devices have had for a decade or longer. Even copying a picture TO an iOS device requires iTunes, unless it's downloaded on the device. It's fine that iTunes exists to manage all the things it does (podcast downloading, backup and restore, updating, etc), but it's a bit ridiculous that media can't be loaded on iOS devices more easily, and that it's apparently still acceptable in 2013.

Back