Is it worthwile to upgrade my SSD?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by addictedto60fps, Dec 30, 2013.

1. addictedto60fps

addictedto60fps [H]ard|Gawd

I'm upgrading my system to a 4770k within the next few days and wanted to get people's thoughts on possibly upgrading my SSD. I have a first gen Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD and am contemplating upgrading that. I'm out of the loop when it comes to SSD's, so was wondering if there is a gigantic difference between what I have and what's currently on the market. Is the difference night and day? Oh, and if it's worthwhile to upgrade, what do you guys recommend? My budget is around $350 or so.

2. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

If the capacity is still enough for your needs, no need to upgrade.

An SSD is an SSD unless you like to benchmark.

3. addictedto60fps

Nope, SSD would not be used for benchmarking purposes. It would just be for capacity purposes mainly and of course, if it's a lot faster than my existing SSD, I would consider upgrading for that reason also.

4. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

In normal usage, responsiveness is due to the near instantaneous access times. An SSD from a few years ago on SATA 3.0 is going to feel the exact same as a modern SSD on SATA 6.0.

5. addictedto60fps

Ok, looks like I don't need to upgrade, then. Thanks, guys. I'll pocket the money and focus on other areas of the upgrade, then. :)

6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie [H]ardness Supreme

There's no TRIM on that unit but you probably know that.