Is it worth upgrading to windows 11 for my config?

c0d3x

n00b
HWiNFO64_cGaGd97lGZ.png

What are you hoping to get out of it? Performance is mostly the same as Windows 10, it's mostly a UI/UX change unless you care about HDR or a heavily truncated version of the Amazon App Store.

^^^ that, its basically just a face lift. so its up to you if its worth it or not. only thing that really benefits from it is 12th gen intel.

Key Win11 performance/gaming upgrades:
  • DirectStorage. Requires an NVMe drive, AFAIK no games actually support it yet.
  • Updated CPU scheduler for performance vs. efficiency cores (i.e., Intel Core 12+). Definitely not relevant to your system.
  • Auto HDR. Depends on your display.
So unless the marketing and reviews for Win11 reveal some features or such you like, such as support for Android apps or the UI changes, there's no reason to upgrade.

thank you all for your replies, i will be sticking to windows 10 as i prefer the ui and i dont have a new intel cpu or hdr or nvme to take advantage of the new stuff...

At least for the moment, cpu performance is not as good as Windows 10.

I bet that 11 has a larger install size compared to 10.

I have 11 installed on my Dell G5 SE 5505 laptop. Works fine. I also have Start11 desktop app installed. Being an old fart, I like the old win7 style of menus. I tried the new 11 desktop, but it just seemed to confusing (or maybe I'm just old).

From my short experience does not seem to have any single reason not to upgrade (and seem better in every way), not much reason to upgrade either.

^^^ that, its basically just a face lift. so its up to you if its worth it or not. only thing that really benefits from it is 12th gen intel.
Even that is debatable, and only probably because MS and Intel are working deals. No reason they couldn't patch 10 to handle P and E core scheduling appropriately.

That being said, I tried 11, and immediately hated how Mac'y it was. I fixed up the interface as much as I could, eventually got some Taskbar styler to go back to windows 7 style (peak productivity layout imho), add a shortcut to control panel on the desktop, re-enable classic right click menus not menus for toddlers, etc. Now it's usable I guess. Windows 10 was fine, as long as you tweaked it and added real control panel to the desktop. I hate the new System settings bullcrap that came with 10 or 8, and they're pushing it hard on 11

I had just installed windows 10 Home from ISO Image on USB, everything was great, but I needed to buy a key yet for it, window 11 offer was free and not asking for a key anymore.

I had just installed windows 10 Home from ISO Image on USB, everything was great, but I needed to buy a key yet for it, window 11 offer was free and not asking for a key anymore.
ot but, because it used the existing 10 key.

Back