is it worth upgrading my core i5 E2400?

brank

n00b
All i do is use MS Office, surf the web, youtube and movies. Will I notice any improvement upgrading my pc?
here are my system specs:
i5 e2400
16mb ddr3
254 samsung ssd
onboard video

I dont play video games

Short answer: No

Of course, this answer assumes you mean i5 2400 and 16GB of RAM instead of an E series core 2 duo and 16MB of RAM...

Follow up question, does the computer feel slow to you?

Yes i mean an e series core 2 duo. 16gb of ram. It doesnt feel slow now but I'm thinking of upgrading to windows 10 and worried about the slow down

There's a definite improvement in upgrading from a Core 2 Duo, but if you're only doing very light tasks, it probably isn't worth the upgrade.

For light office work, Core 2 Duos with an SSD and 4GB+ RAM is more than enough.

Why not upgrade to Windows 10 and see? Retail licenses are transferable if you do end up upgrading.

licenses are transferable? so If I upgrade my motherboard I can reinstall windows with the same license key? I didnt know that

Look up your board: The Core2Quads are hella cheap on ebay (Sometimes 10$ or less) and that might buy you a little extra oomph for next to nothing.

The absolutely high-end quads are still kinda pricey (for what they are) but one or two steps from the top are hella cheap.

licenses are transferable? so If I upgrade my motherboard I can reinstall windows with the same license key? I didnt know that

Depends on what kind of license you have on it. A lot of the cheap licenses you find are one time use only and only good for that hardware.

I agree that you can always find a C2Q and use that instead of the E2400. That's probably going to be your cheapest upgrade. Maybe a cheap video card depending on your resolution.

I was looking for clarification on the cpu. Wikipedia lists conroe core 2 duo's starting with the E4300 @1.8 GHz through to Wolfdale E8600 @ 3.33GHz. I can't see an entry for an E2400 except for the sandy bridge i5.

There were also Celeron E1200s and Pentium E5200s, etc. I guess you're right in that it sounds like the OP doesn't know exactly what he has. Probably an i5 2400. I can't imagine having 16GB of RAM with a Core 2 era chip. The most I ever had was 8GB in that era.

All i do is use MS Office, surf the web, youtube and movies. Will I notice any improvement upgrading my pc?
here are my system specs:
i5 e2400
16mb ddr3
254 samsung ssd
onboard video

I dont play video games
For your use, I believe you can wait before upgrade to Windows 10. WIndows 7 is still supported until january 2020. No need to worry. Then buy a Windows 10 Pro, not the home version. You can then push the updates to receive them later once they have failed on home users to be corrected later. Also Google Chrome will need virtualization to run safer and that is only on Windows 10 pro. And take car your Office suite may not be compatible with Windows 10.
Also you can stay on Windows 7 after 2020 and put Avira free anti-virus (still supporting Vista) and use for instance Comodo firewall for greater protection despite missing Microsoft security updates. I believe Firefox will still be developed for a couple of years for Windows 7, maybe 5 years or even more, who knows.
Also have in mind that most recent attacks on the core architecture is using the hyperthread feature on Intel cores. That means on desktop solutions, the i5 who are 4 cores not hyperthreaded, are much less vulnerable to all these attacks.

I suppose by onboard video, you mean the inner video chip of the CPU, not an additional graphics card.
I will definitely pay for a cheap but up to date graphics card like a GT 1030 2GB (low power, low noise, cheap, very good non gaming performance, even ok for low quality 3D gaming) instead of using the Intel iGPU which is very weak and is the reason for why you seem to have a slow system. That includes especially web surfing and playing video (youtube and movies).

I would definitely upgrade to a core 2 quad. Find a model # on your motherboard and look for the processor compatibility list on the manufacturer's website. With the Q9550 for $25 on ebay I wouldn't spend more than that for any socket 775 CPU. I've given away pallets of retired core 2 duo computers locally.

You can pickup an entire Dell Optiplex desktop with Core i5 quad core and 8GB for $110 to $130 with a Windows 10 license. Any upgrade on an older platform better be dirt cheap to make sense.

Depending on the MoBo, you can also run a Xeon. They're cheap and will give you a nice boost.

i5 is not a Core 2 Duo. i5 2400 is a Sandy Bridge and overkill for your usage scenario.

I ran a i5 2400 non K (which yes is a Sandy Bridge, thanks vick1000 ) but was able to finagle a small OC on all cores to like 3.5ghz.. It ran windows 10 just fine at stock and with the mild oc. It should boost to 3.4ghz during heavier workloads anyways.. You should be fine.

Back