Is it worth Upgrading from a r5 3600 to a i7-10700k if running a radeon 5700xt?

Steeley11

n00b
Hello Everybody,

I was just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from a ryzen r5 3600 to a core i7 10700k when running a radeon 5700xt for gaming? Would there be a big difference in frame rates or the total pc experience? I already have all the parts I just have to figure out what I want to keep. I can't find direct comparison benchmarks anywhere and the benches don't tell the whole story anyhow. I'm on the fence about which way to go, but if there 's no change in fps why spend anymore then you have to. Let me know what you guys think. Also I'm not going to able to upgrade my graphics card anytime soon.

Why not upgrade to 5600x? You keep the system you have, it is a quick chip swap. To be clear I don't think that would be a worth while jump either, but it would make more sense from a financial perspective.

Last edited:
I would say no, definitely not worth it for gaming. Looking at this Anandtech comparison between R5 3600 and i9 10900K, and ignoring the silly 360P/480P results and focusing on 1080P/1440P/2160P, the difference is between 0-10%. If you already have the Ryzen system up and running might as well sell the Intel parts instead of rebuilding your rig for minimal gain.
That was a real eye opener, I haven't been to Anandtech in a long time. Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll keep the 3600 and return the other stuff.

Why not upgrade to 5600x? You keep the system you have, it is a quick chip swap. To be clear I don't think that would be a worth while jump either, but it would make more sense from a financial perspective.
If I could get one I probably would.

I would not. If anything I would upgrade to a 5800x when you can get your hands on one to make the upgrade worth while some what.
I think the 5800x for $450 is too much, would like something in between that and the 5600x, but for now I'll keep the 3600.

That was a real eye opener, I haven't been to Anandtech in a long time. Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll keep the 3600 and return the other stuff.
Yeah, CPUs from the last 3-4 intel generations and last two AMD generations don't matter for higher-res (1440P+) gaming much at all. If you're on Zen 1, or something older than Skylake (Intel 6XXX), it may be worth upgrading - otherwise, meh? Only reason I did it was the wife's system really was EOL (FX-8350) for VR, and it was easier to build me a new one and give her mine (6700k -> 10700k).

TLDR no

Types of games you play, graphics quality settings in game, specific quality of life output like frame pacing in online competitive FPS vs accelerating turn time in a cpu bound rts need to be addressed directly.

Your display matters bc I’ve seen instances where someone is trying to max out graphics quality on a TN panel that isn’t hdr10 capable.
I’ve also seen people try to do a competitive FPS build on a 60hz panel.

You also have to be a realist, am5 is coming so if you upgraded in either direction you are eol.
So have you addressed the specific quality of life issues with appropriate components?

TLDR no

Types of games you play, graphics quality settings in game, specific quality of life output like frame pacing in online competitive FPS vs accelerating turn time in a cpu bound rts need to be addressed directly.

Your display matters bc I’ve seen instances where someone is trying to max out graphics quality on a TN panel that isn’t hdr10 capable.
I’ve also seen people try to do a competitive FPS build on a 60hz panel.

You also have to be a realist, am5 is coming so if you upgraded in either direction you are eol.
So have you addressed the specific quality of life issues with appropriate components?
I have a very good LG ips 144hz 32" monitor for my display, guess I should've mentioned that, I just had a chance to sell off one of my systems so it was time to rebuild, and its been a lot harder to figure out which way I want to go because of the tech deals this time of year. Its still a good problem to have and a lot of fun.

I have a very good LG ips 144hz 32" monitor for my display, guess I should've mentioned that, I just had a chance to sell off one of my systems so it was time to rebuild, and its been a lot harder to figure out which way I want to go because of the tech deals this time of year. Its still a good problem to have and a lot of fun.
Aim for the GPU more. Same specs for me; cpu isn’t the limit.

If you're on Zen 1, or something older than Skylake (Intel 6XXX), it may be worth upgrading
I'd say Skylake and Kaby Lake stopped being good CPUs for gaming a while ago, especially when it comes to frametimes / 1% low fps. In ComputerBase testing with a 3080 at 4K resolution (so quite favorable conditions for slow CPUs), the 7700K performed not so great. A 3600 was 16% ahead, and a 5900X was 27% ahead.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11...ormancerating-3840-2160-bildpunkte-frametimes

That was at stock memory clocks, so faster RAM will buy you some more time. But it is clear that the days of these CPUs are numbered.

am5 is coming so if you upgraded in either direction you are eol.
There are reports of one more AM4 Zen3 CPU (Warhol) for 2021.
Plus even with existing CPUs you can upgrade up to a 16C/32T 5950X.

On Intel side, we don't know yet how Rocket Lake will perform in games, but that it will massively outperform Zen3 is doubtful.

Youre going to have a hard time arguing a 5950x in a gaming use case vs 5600x with me.
At some pt you have to stare at afterburner and decide if the title hammers cpu whether you’re seeing an unoptimized game or something like a 5700xt/1080ti is eclipsed.
They aren’t yet.

$ spent towards a gpu will yield better return than a cpu upgrade

Edge case would be already having a 3080/6800xt and trying to wring out more performance.
I’d just save the $ and wait a cycle

I'd say Skylake and Kaby Lake stopped being good CPUs for gaming a while ago, especially when it comes to frametimes / 1% low fps. In ComputerBase testing with a 3080 at 4K resolution (so quite favorable conditions for slow CPUs), the 7700K performed not so great. A 3600 was 16% ahead, and a 5900X was 27% ahead.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11...ormancerating-3840-2160-bildpunkte-frametimes

That was at stock memory clocks, so faster RAM will buy you some more time. But it is clear that the days of these CPUs are numbered.

There are reports of one more AM4 Zen3 CPU (Warhol) for 2021.
Plus even with existing CPUs you can upgrade up to a 16C/32T 5950X.

On Intel side, we don't know yet how Rocket Lake will perform in games, but that it will massively outperform Zen3 is doubtful.
My German is rusty as hell, but all the numbers there are more than acceptable for gaming- especially at 4K. And in this case, he’s talking 1440P - which will be nearly double those.

We'll see. Maybe they'll make an i9-119590fxe Extreme Edition. 8 cores, 5.0GHz base clock, 220W TDP. Retail version comes with a 280mm AIO, but most are shipped in trays to Dell (for Alienware, of course). No integrated video.

Last edited:
Here is an update on my build. Updated to the latest bios on my x470 Taichi, did a clear cmos , pulled the battery for awhile, and dropped the r5 3600 in and booted into the bios. Then set everything where it should be, went to reboot, and after a bunch of beeps and reboots, my ram [cl 14 3200 flare x] will only run at 2400 cl 16 and suffering from random restarts. I've never had an issue with this ram before in the 2 years I've had this board. After doing some research it appears to be a glitch in the later bioses. I had to downgrade till I got my ram settings back with some stability. Makes me wonder what the beta bioses are going to be like for zen 3, that I'm not interested in dealing with till they turn into a mature platform. I've had to update the bios 13 times since I've had this board. I've spent more time adjusting this setup instead of running it. I've been on Ryzen since Zen 1 but I think I've had enough. I never had issues like this on intel, so I think this stuff is going on marketplace and I'll go Z490 till ddr5 and the latest Intel or Amd comes out. The I7-10700k will be very close to the performance of the 5800x that I had hoped to get and I got it for a great price on cyber monday [$289] . There is something to be said for a mature stable platform, and I'm not concerned about the heat or power consumption, I want stable performance. It may just be asrocks bios, not so much amd's, either way I'm tired of dealing with updating the bios to fix an issue and having worse issues and having to downgrade again. Time will tell. Thanks for all your advice and help. Sorry if it sounds like a rant , but I'm pretty fed up.

It may just be asrocks bios, not so much amd's,

I think your on the right path here. Your RAM doesnt appear to be a good fit for the platform. You really should move/start a thread in the AMD section. Seems silly here under Intel procs.

I would not. If anything I would upgrade to a 5800x when you can get your hands on one to make the upgrade worth while some what.
If one assumes MSRP, 5800X is the worst buy of the new 5xxx series.

5600X is significantly cheaper while losing only 2 cores. 5900x is only marginally more expensive while gaining 4 cores.

If one assumes MSRP, 5800X is the worst buy of the new 5xxx series.

5600X is significantly cheaper while losing only 2 cores. 5900x is only marginally more expensive while gaining 4 cores.
That might be so but it will not be worth going from a 6 core to a 6 core. The value proposition is irrelvant.

Here is an update on my build. Updated to the latest bios on my x470 Taichi, did a clear cmos , pulled the battery for awhile, and dropped the r5 3600 in and booted into the bios. Then set everything where it should be, went to reboot, and after a bunch of beeps and reboots, my ram [cl 14 3200 flare x] will only run at 2400 cl 16 and suffering from random restarts. I've never had an issue with this ram before in the 2 years I've had this board. After doing some research it appears to be a glitch in the later bioses. I had to downgrade till I got my ram settings back with some stability. Makes me wonder what the beta bioses are going to be like for zen 3, that I'm not interested in dealing with till they turn into a mature platform. I've had to update the bios 13 times since I've had this board. I've spent more time adjusting this setup instead of running it. I've been on Ryzen since Zen 1 but I think I've had enough. I never had issues like this on intel, so I think this stuff is going on marketplace and I'll go Z490 till ddr5 and the latest Intel or Amd comes out. The I7-10700k will be very close to the performance of the 5800x that I had hoped to get and I got it for a great price on cyber monday [$289] . There is something to be said for a mature stable platform, and I'm not concerned about the heat or power consumption, I want stable performance. It may just be asrocks bios, not so much amd's, either way I'm tired of dealing with updating the bios to fix an issue and having worse issues and having to downgrade again. Time will tell. Thanks for all your advice and help. Sorry if it sounds like a rant , but I'm pretty fed up.
Yup, that's the reason I went Intel last year about this time. Found a deal on a i5/MB combo, and it's been just as uneventful as every other Intel build. Never had an issue with Intel plarforms since my Q9300 build. They just work, and OC with little fuss, push them with Prime until you get a crash, back off a bit, and there you go. I loved AMD in the Athlon 64 days and before, but the slight performance gains of Ryzen2 over 14nm+++ are just not enough to risk the headache anymore. Maybe it's because Intel is "less secure", but I don't care about the slim chance of someone targeting my machine with cross channel attacks.

Last edited:
That might be so but it will not be worth going from a 6 core to a 6 core. The value proposition is irrelvant.
You mean 8 core to 6 core? Sorry, but that's full of it. No one moved from a FX-8300 8C/8T to a i7 4C/8T and complained about a loss of cores.

Lets take a typical upgrade scenario from the 3700X to the 5600X. Due to the IPC increase and overall clock speed increase, you're already ahead in aggregate performance in all but the most multi-threaded environment.

For gaiming as far as we known it is 100% about multi thread performance not the amount of core, the latest cyberpunk 2077 analysis is a good example of that.

It show at 1080p with a 3080 a nice increase (even average fps not just 1% low) going from a 3600 to a 3700x, 5600 to 5900, etc... showing that it seem to use some of the extra core over 6.

But a 5600x still comfortably above a 3700x or 3900, has it is mix of low number of core peak performance and overall multi thread performance that matter.

You mean 8 core to 6 core? Sorry, but that's full of it. No one moved from a FX-8300 8C/8T to a i7 4C/8T and complained about a loss of cores.

Lets take a typical upgrade scenario from the 3700X to the 5600X. Due to the IPC increase and overall clock speed increase, you're already ahead in aggregate performance in all but the most multi-threaded environment.
I was talking about 3600 to 5600. You can't compare bulldozer to a 4 core intel cpu. Everyone knows it was a dud architecture and AMD was she'd and lost calling it a 8 core cpu.

You also shouldn't be using cyberpunk as a blanket bar of IPC vs core ct in a gaming use case.

Bulldozer vs anything recent is a non argument.

Again when you're talking about 4k gaming then settings and specific game are relevant as we aren't where stable implementations can just be blanket applied like "first person quake based shooter and I'm only looking at non rtx non dlss framerate #s".

Also I like the takeaway in bios issues when you push an and chipset past it's stable bubble.

I did a bunch of Ryzen builds for informational purposes. Assume nothing on the AMD side is as well supported on the Intel side.

I was talking about 3600 to 5600. You can't compare bulldozer to a 4 core intel cpu. Everyone knows it was a dud architecture and AMD was she'd and lost calling it a 8 core cpu.
5600X stomps a 3600 hard.

The value proposition of a $299 5600X is quite good. It's one of the lowest cost CPU's that won't bottleneck a high end GPU. The only problem is that you can't readily get it for $299.

However, the situation is quickly changing, due to Intel price cuts on 9900K/10700K and general availability.

I can only say the 3600 doesnt give as good an experience as a 6700K using a 1080ti because I have both. The 6700K was smoother and about 15 to 20% higher framerate in the few games I tested.
After getting a 10700K setup, I'm about to give away my 3600 CPU and mobo which was kept as an emergency spare, I'm keeping the 6700K as my spare instead.
The IPC and frequency of the 3xxx series chips are a bit low.

If you can get a 5600x, go for it, it is good value (at stock price) and quick.
I wanted a 5800x but there was no chance of getting one and for the extra money there is barely any performance benefit over the 10700K anyway, so am very happy where I sit.

That it will not outperform Zen3 is not doubtful, "massive" isn't the success bar. It will also outperform in retail stock levels. And it will outperform when cranked to, give-or-take, 5.5Ghz allcore. For gaming, Rocket Lake will be untouchable.

Last edited:
I’ve been reading these types of questions for years. Buying a better GPU will always make more of a difference than upgrading your CPU. Why is it so hard for people to understand.

I’ve been reading these types of questions for years. Buying a better GPU will always make more of a difference than upgrading your CPU. Why is it so hard for people to understand.
That itch is pretty hard to scratch right now.

Depends on the CPU, GPU, game and what you want.
And your post disregards high framerate systems.
This blanket statement needs correction.

I went from a 10700k to a i5 10400 and didnt notice a difference at 1440p but I also don't sit there and stare at a FPS counter either. System is still smooth as it was before and have no complaints.

I recently had time to put my i7-10700kf and MSI Z-490 unify together for some benches and stress testing. It just works, no need for bios updates, just put together, load latest drivers and go. Does it use more electricity? Yes. Does it run a little hotter than amd? Yes it does, but I do not care, because the performance is there when I want it for whatever I'm doing, and I'm getting a lot more fps with the i7 than the 2700x with the same 5700xt. For $525 for the board and cpu I'm very pleased with both. And I can use them right now. I never thought I'd go back to Intel, but I did and I'm glad I did.

Back