Is it worth to replace thermal paste on Asus GTX1070 Strix OC?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to shave off few degrees to lower the temps and make fans run at lower rpms... anything above 55% is too noisy for my likes. Also I'll look into undervolting the card.

Did anyone tried it? or the paste Asus used is good enough and I won't see any difference after replacing it. I would replace it with MX-4 or Noctua. I have some liquid metal (TG conductonaut) but I'm affraid to do it on GPU.

Best to let people know your temps now on idle and full load.. but at just 55% fans I bet it's running hot.

it should knock a few degrees off and some times more if the hsf isn't very tight from factory.

is it high risk to use TGC on GPU? and is it worth it over mx-4 or noctua?

I'm in the middle of some testing (undervolting)... I'm using Valley and Fire Strike to test it with OSD from afterburner. WIth 0.875V I was 1924/1911 on core and Memory (Samsung) o/c to 9200 (+600)... with very quiet fan curve max speed was 52%, the temp was 71C. Overall it is not too bad. If I can shave off few degrees by reapplying TIM, I might be able to push GPU clock even higher.

Nope it's probably like 2C or 3C at most vs non-metal, GPU die is pretty big and it already has direct contact with the heatsink. Also depends how good the stock paste job is. If you already have extra LM you can use it though.

I'd recommend Kryonaut for regular paste.

is it high risk to use TGC on GPU? and is it worth it over mx-4 or noctua?

I'm in the middle of some testing (undervolting)... I'm using Valley and Fire Strike to test it with OSD from afterburner. WIth 0.875V I was 1924/1911 on core and Memory (Samsung) o/c to 9200 (+600)... with very quiet fan curve max speed was 52%, the temp was 71C. Overall it is not too bad. If I can shave off few degrees by reapplying TIM, I might be able to push GPU clock even higher.

No. I wouldn't recommend it.

GPUs have a lot more capacitors and such things around the die. The couple of extra C over non conductive paste isn't worth the chance of shorting your card out.

You can try repasting with traditional TIM. You may see an improvement of a few C. Generally they don't do the best job of applying it and it is either done too thickly or with paste missing on part of the GPU sometimes.

^ oh oops. I missed the "don't use the liquid metal" part to my post.

Back