n00b
I have the following system:
I7 [email protected]
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
6GB RAM
3 SATA Hard drives (1TB +1 tb +640 gb)
GTX 570 SLI
HX1000

Is it worth switching to skt 2011, with a 3930K?

The system will be used for video editing, programming and mathematical calculations, and of course to play some games (so I have the SLI for that...).

Is it worth the exchange, or stay a little longer with the i7940 (I thought of buying a SSD250GB ...)

I think you'd see a bigger difference getting the SSD unless you often notice yourself waiting around for your calculations to complete.

It is probably worth picking up an i7 980 for your motherboard. Overclocked, the six core LGA 1366 i7's are crazy fast (you will get 4GHz+ on decent cooling)...within striking distance of SNB-E. And you don't have to buy a new mobo. Use the money saved from not buying a new mobo to get the SSD ;)

People always talk about how they want Intel to stop changing sockets...but people change sockets anyway! :D

For the calcs I would probably go with the 3930k. You could always throw in an SSD or SAS Drive later.

That said, many get by on less. If the calcs etc are taking far longer than you want them to then upgrade, if you don't care then just get the SSD.

I would go with a 980X or a 990X...use Gulftowns can be had for ~$500 on Ebay, and will nearly match SB-E in performance.

I guess it depends. I have a 920 that runs at 4.0ghz I just bought a new 3930K setup. 2 more cores, and should be able to overclock it significantly more than 4.0ghz. Also, given a significant performance boost (IPC) I expect it to run very well. Need it? Hardly. Want it? Yes.

I would go with a 980X or a 990X...use Gulftowns can be had for ~$500 on Ebay, and will nearly match SB-E in performance.

3930k and 3960x are faster across the board against the 990X and they have a higher overclocking headroom to go along with other Sandy Bridge improvements like the native Intel SATA 6.0 Gbps controller which is worthwhile if he buys a fast SSD to put in there because the Marvell 9128 controller is junk. Socket 2011 would also allow him to upgrade to IVB-E later next year.

I like to wait for around 100% increase in power , or it really isn't worth it to me. I grabbed a 970 and it is much quicker stock then my [email protected], cost under $300 after I sell my 950, instead of a couple grand for a whole new rig.

Go 2011 for video work and photo work. Understand that the platform is better all around. Much better disk performance for SSD's and a junk ton of memory and disk options. The processors aren't the problem for 1366, it's the dated x58 chipset. Plus you get a nice upgrade path for the 8 core monsters.

3930k and 3960x are faster across the board against the 990X and they have a higher overclocking headroom to go along with other Sandy Bridge improvements like the native Intel SATA 6.0 Gbps controller which is worthwhile if he buys a fast SSD to put in there because the Marvell 9128 controller is junk. Socket 2011 would also allow him to upgrade to IVB-E later next year.

I'm not saying that a 990X represents the best possible performance he can get; rather, its the most cost-effective way for him to get a noticeable CPU upgrade.
And there's also the problem of the 3930K being OOS everywhere, and the good boards (e.g. Rampage IV Extreme) being OOS.

I like to wait for around 100% increase in power , or it really isn't worth it to me. I grabbed a 970 and it is much quicker stock then my [email protected], cost under $300 after I sell my 950, instead of a couple grand for a whole new rig.

This is what I did. Then I sold the 970 for a 980X 'cause I am a [H]ardwareWhore.

Back