Is it worth it purchasing another CD key, or wait for Vista?

Danith

2[H]4U
Bleh.. I need another Win XP cdkey.. I'm tring to decide if I should purchase another Win XP cdkey, or if I should just hold out and wait for Vista.. currently running linux on it and wanna switch it to windows to run a couple games..

From first hand dealings with Vista Beta 2, I think I would go for another XP key. It would be a miracle if they got Vista to go gold by this fall for OEM's and January for end users. Vista has way too many bugs at this point and it still has to climb the RC ladder.

Do you really want to buy Vista the day it is released? I would go with the XP key.

Another question is, will your PC handle Vista when its released, and/or are you going to upgrade when it comes out?

Lake said:
Do you really want to buy Vista the day it is released? I would go with the XP key.
Hehe.. I jumped on Win ME when it came out, and look how that went! :p

Danith said:
Hehe.. I jumped on Win ME when it came out, and look how that went! :p

I used to think ME was the shiznit... cause it had the word Millenium in it. It seemed a lot cooler than XP, but was too retarded to realize XP was the top dawg of them all. Remember when everyone hated XP saying it was too pretty and we should go back to 3.1 and dos? J/K :)

Lake said:

QFT.

I've been running Vista B2 and I can honestly say that unless it gets some major speed-ups I'm sticking with XP & 2003 Server. I am running a 3800+ X2, 7900GT with 2GB ram an it runs OK, but it just feels slow.

It is pretty though...

Actually, I personnaly rank 2K over XP. but that's just me. And yeah, another key is the way to go.

becuase he wants to be legal ?

Stay with XP, vista wont be ready to go until it has been out a few months, not neccesarily until a SP comes out, XP was fine after some months with some regular windows updates.

Panda Man said:
Actually, I personnaly rank 2K over XP. but that's just me. And yeah, another key is the way to go.

I would say my ranks for desktop use (not a heavy gamer) would be like this:

Win 2k3 Standard (set up to be a workstation)
Win 2k
Win XP
Vista
ME

santaliqueur said:
really, we never thought of that.

so why do you need to purchase ANOTHER key?

Probably to *become* legal. WGA has owned a few people in the past month :)

Eh, just go for a XP key. I have a bad feeling Vista's going to have too many DRM things make it to final. (why can't they lose those instead of *good* stuff like new WinFS). Then again, XP keys might drop all of...oh, $10 in price once Vista comes out.
rolleyes.gif
I think Win98 full is still ~$40 retail.

Go with a trial copy of Windows XP Pro x64 if your hardware supports it - It'll give you a free, legal OS for 180 days. Worry about it then :)

Langford said:
Do you qualify to give the Vista beta a try?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Realistically, maybe XP is the way to go. Even when Vista is released for sale, it would be prudent to wait for a service pack before adopting.

I'm with you there.. I never switch my home systems til I really need to myself.. But was forced into Xp at work.. IMHO XP sucked til sp1 came out, and then was ok, and when sp2 came out, it turned into a pretty good os..

DX10 may cause me switch a little bit earlier than I usually would..

Yeah, DX10 is the kicker. :(

I personally am going to wait and see what happens, I don't have any problems with XP and nothing I've seen about Vista makes me want it.

Back