is it worth getting a pentium g3258

mrblack

n00b
Would it be worth getting a pentium g3258 with mobo and ram till kaby lake Comes out ?

If you can get a G3258 and an accompanying mobo for under $100, then I would say go for it. If it's closer to $175, then probably not. The G3258 is a great chip only hindered by its lack of logical cores. Some games, looking at you Far Cry 4, demands that you have 4 cores to play, although you can get a hack that will make it work with 2 cores with very little degradation in performance. I would know because I used to run an OC G3258 on an MSI mobo. If you can OC the cpu to above 4ghz, it will fly and run most older games just fine. I believe more future games are coded to use more cores, but for the majority of games, 2 very fast cores is fine.

Yes that's the idea plus I don't really want spend a lot on a skylake cpu with the new ones coming out soon

Yes that's the idea plus I don't really want spend a lot on a skylake cpu with the new ones coming out soon

Desktop CPU improvements from generation to generation will be minor, most improvements are in lowering energy consumption for mobile use. Check userbenchmarks - A ton of people are still using Ivy and Sandy bridge desktop processors because the differences are minimal.

See this for example - 3 years later, the comparable i5 part is still only ~18% higher. Don't let the next generation coming out influence you to buy a cheap part - a mid/higher end CPU will last you for many years, likely.

See this for people talking about the previous 2500k chip.

I use an Sandybridge G2020 for my HTPC, it is a surprisingly capable little chip. It decodes 1080p, and even plays some games (no GPU at the time) at 720p really well.

If your wanting something to hold on to for the Kaby Lake/Zen release then it would a cheap way to go.

Just buy a Skylake processor today. Get an i3 6100 and call it a day. That should last you several years of gaming.

There's nothing new coming down the line with Kaby Lake for driving a dedicated GPU in games. Tiny 100MHz clock speed bumps are the norm for desktop refresh parts.

If you need to save money, you can get a Microcenter combo. Core i3 6100 + H110 motherboard for $130:

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

These incremental upgrades always end up costing you more, Like buying DDR3 memory for your Haswell build, then ditching it for DDR4 for your desired Kaby.

The Haswell Pentium was a great deal when it was released, but it's seen better days.

Last edited:
I would highly suggest getting a z170 mobo with an i3, in this way you could OC your i3 to about 4.4 Ghz easily which will be fine for gaming and normal desktop use. You could also pop in the highest Kaby Lake SKU when it comes out and get the best out of it if you want to.

I did hear about that but is it still possible to overclock non k skylake cpus ? that's the reason I was going to use the g3258 as it's overclockable

I did hear about that but is it still possible to overclock non k skylake cpus ? that's the reason I was going to use the g3258 as it's overclockable
It is still exactly the same procedure.
I use a i5 6400 @ 4.7 Ghz no problem. And i have used 2 Mobos within the last 3 months which worked fine with NON K oc

For the the time being I ended up picking up a 2nd hand Msi nightblade mi with g3258 8GB ram 1TB hdd GT740 2gb and win 10 for 180 would I need a better card ? Thanks

Just wanted to drop in and say that on most Asrock Z170 boards and a handful of their cheaper skylake boards, they support BaseClock OCing of Non-K chips. I currently have an i5 6400 running at 4.4Ghz on my media centre. Nothing stopping you from grabbing an i3 and clocking the balls off it.

You can't overclock non k skuso or only like for 5 MHZ bump in FSB at like 105 total. K skus have the multiplier unlocked.

Not sure if OP does Ebay but you can find 3770 (non-k) workstations with 8-16G of ram for sub $250...

I recently picked up an HP SFF i7-2600s to dork around with for $170 shipped. Just make sure you don't get the SFF and you should be golden to put in a video card up to say 150-200w.

i may be to able to swap my g3258 for a 4460 cpu would that be be better than an oc g3258

i may be to able to swap my g3258 for a 4460 cpu would that be be better than an oc g3258
Depends for what? You game modern or old games? If you don't game or work hard you can keep the pentium for mundane tasks browsing and watching movies and YouTube is enough.

I'm going to use it for gaming and game emulators the i5 would be better for games but I'm guessing the pentium is better for emulators as it'll run at higher speed

fyi I'm using an A4-5300 for my emulation and it works beatifully. BUT serious gaming, forget about it, I would go for at least 8370 or i5

I'll be using the 1050ti with ether one when it's out not sure if that makes much difference

the MAME emu is heavily single threaded. So I would imagine single thread performance would be on top of your list. Anything else like Sega, Nintendo etc would be easy to drive.

Like I said, newer games are multithread, so 4c minimum? emulators are easily done on one core

edit: maybe I'm not fucking reading the thread correctly or I'm just another pleb, but you were looking for a cpu capable of handling emulators and new games? well, then you go for the new games obviously. If your CPU can handle new games then it will handle emulators

edit2: here is one I built myself running linux on a a4-5300:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

edit:the firetruck is only there for show. at no point were there a firehazard, excluding me milling out the holes on the plexiglass

Last edited:
Cool looking arcade build I'm sure the g3258 will probably be fine for now I seen digital foundry playing crysis 3 with adaptive vsync on looks very playable

Last edited:
Back