is it too much to run 9 GPU on single 1600W PSU?

TurK-FX

2[H]4U
I got 9x RX 580 undervalted to 900mw and most pulls 150W for each GPU. I mostly mine cryptonight heavy or Cryptonight7 which are not too GPU intensive. Total pull is around 1150-1180W. It runs OK, but sometimes it hangs at boot or randomly restarts and hangs at boot. I suspect it is the PSU, but wanted to hear second opinion. System used for mining and PSU is Lepa 1600W Gold rated PSU. I am thinking to drop it to 8GPU and add 2 more GPU along with 750W psu. so 8 run on 1600W and 4 run on 750W.

Hanging on boot should not be the PSU since you aren't even at load yet. Did you measure the power draw on cryptonight or eth?

Yea, I measured both. Cryptonight ~1150W and eth 1200-1250W. But I am not mining eth though. May be the motherboard. I will swap it out in a few days and see how it goes.

I thought that too. But there are 2 rails with 30A each and 2 other reals with 15A each according to manual. 30A rails sharef with sata, so maybe pci-e cards coupled with the GPUs drawing too much. I will take a look into that as well, if the motherboard replacement does not fox it. I got a 12gpu biostar board that I never got around to install.

from what ive found googling, rx580s can use 15+amps. so id try splitting them up on different psus if you can. that might be easiest.

from what ive found googling, rx580s can use 15+amps. so id try splitting them up on different psus if you can. that might be easiest.

This makes sense, since the RX580 has a TDP rating of 185W, which equates to 15.4A @ 12V...each.

15.4A * 9 = 138.6A total current draw. Even at an undervolted 33% drop in power draw, that's still 93A total (10.3A each).

My advice to TurK-FX: try to find a very large capacity PSU with a unified rail, if you have the money to do so.

Last edited:
My experience with 12 RX580s was that I finally met stabily and success with using a 1,000 watt PSU as the main motherboard PSU and with four cards, and then two 850 watt PSUs - each with 4 cards each.

I undervolted my cards - and some of the algorithms used less power than others, but if the undervolt failed and it returned to stock clocks, or windows automatically updated the drive and they returned to stock, or when the algorithms changed I think they'd peak power pull for a small time --- I'd encounter stability issues when I tried to get by with not enough PSU.

A Lepai PSU isn't a top tier brand. Especially if you aren't using top shelf PSU's you should give the setup some breathing headroom.

On my mining rigs, unless I have met great stability, I like to have enough power to power the cards without undervolting to account for any unknown, unwelcome situation - then undervolt as normal. With the extra headroom - they just seem a lot more stable and administration free.

Last edited:
Back